Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Companies House issue

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Sadly this sounds extremely familiar. You are able to appeal cases like this though and when they are referred, the individual usually wins.

Can see why you wouldn't bother when they've not actually applied a penalty though. Twats.

Yeah, I would have kicked up a lot more of a fuss if I was still in the UK. I just couldn't be arsed with it because I was out of the country, and dealing with incompetent solicitors over the sale of my flat in Brighton at the same time. There's only so many CJTCs I can handle at one time.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Yeah, I would have kicked up a lot more of a fuss if I was still in the UK. I just couldn't be arsed with it because I was out of the country, and dealing with incompetent solicitors over the sale of my flat in Brighton at the same time. There's only so many CJTCs I can handle at one time.

And then you log onto NSC!!! You must be a sucker for punishment. :lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The last time I had to deal with HMRC I had a case file opened by the women I spoke to. The next time I called her to get an update and provide some information, I was referred to someone else who told me she only worked part time, 2 or 3 afternoons a week. This other person then refused to help me with my case file because it would take too long to get up-to-speed.

The case in question was them trying to fine me for failing to declare that I had to make student loan repayments. I had an accountant submit my tax return at the time and she gave me a copy of the form which had been submitted, with the "student loan repayment" box clearly ticked. Apparently this had been changed through their online system at some point around a month after it was submitted. It definitely wasn't me or my accountant, but would they accept someone in HMRC had screwed up? Would they f***? I effectively had to admit it was me in order for them to defer the fine because it was a "first offence" even though: 1. It clearly wasn't. And 2. I had a large credit in my HMRC account which covered the student loan payment.

It still makes me angry 3 years later. Bunch of utter WANKPUFFINS.

Another case of HMRC uselessness:

In 2017 a client got a new company car, cost £100k, and did the lawful thing in immediately online registering it as a company car allocated to the director. All good it seemed and HMRC online gave a reference number in acceptance.

BUT the HMRC system hasn’t followed it through to the director’s personal tax and PAYE tax coding.

Countless ensuing calls to HMRC have us passed from pillar to post. They have us ringing their IT systems people who can’t trace our submission and say to call HMRC’s Employer section, who say call HMRC IT.

Still not resolved = tos*ers.

It is not a win, because of the danger of penalties.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

In 2017 a client got a new company car, cost £100k, and did the lawful thing in immediately online registering it as a company car allocated to the director. All good it seemed and HMRC online gave a reference number in acceptance.

BUT the HMRC system hasn’t followed it through to the director’s personal tax and PAYE tax coding.

Countless ensuing calls to HMRC have us passed from pillar to post. They have us ringing their IT systems people who can’t trace our submission and say to call HMRC’s Employer section, who say call HMRC IT.

I received a letter a couple of days ago saying that one of my clients had been flagged as having offshore income and giving us the standard "if you now declare it you may get penalties between X and Y".

Fair enough as he did have offshore income in the form of an inheritance from an aunt in the US.

NOT fair enough though as we declared the income on his 16/17 tax return and he's already paid all the tax on it.

****ing morons.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

I get the impression the HMRC office just has a few old desktop PCs with Office 97 installed and no network connectivity. If they need to share data they pass a floppy disk around the office.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I get the impression the HMRC office just has a few old desktop PCs with Office 97 installed and no network connectivity. If they need to share data they pass a floppy disk around the office.
What is this office 97 thing of which you speak?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I received a letter a couple of days ago saying that one of my clients had been flagged as having offshore income and giving us the standard "if you now declare it you may get penalties between X and Y".

Fair enough as he did have offshore income in the form of an inheritance from an aunt in the US.

NOT fair enough though as we declared the income on his 16/17 tax return and he's already paid all the tax on it.

****ing morons.

Don't you just love it though when you promptly provide the evidence and prove the tit wrong at HMRC wrong?

At their new 'High Net Worth Individuals' Unit, a lady at HMRC started a thorough written enquiry into the assets and income of a client. I won't go into detail, but going by the tone and questions asked (and one phone call by me to her, when she lacked a human touch to say the least), she was sure she was on to something. I batted back detailed and succinct replies on the day of receipt of her letters, with a stack of evidence, proving her sniffing around completely baseless. The taxpayer is honest and pays a lot of tax. She soon gave up, her instincts proved wrong this time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here