Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Hikers Rest?

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I can't work out what is happening with that place. Last year it was going to be a shop and even had a shop front ( i think it was premier, the shop next door is something else) with a sign saying 'opening July 2017'. The shop front and sign have now gone and it's looking like it's being repainted etc. scaffolding up when i last saw it. If it does reopen as a pub they really need to get in some good managers who know their stuff so it doesn't end up being what it was many moons ago (think 80's & 90's)!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There was a sign in the shop in the centre of Coldean saying that the pub would be re-opening in the summer but that's now disappeared too.

The planning permission was for a shop, pub and microbrewery - if it's for student accommodation (which many people in Coldean think) they'd need permission for change of use. There's no sign of that on the planning website

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Just found this interesting review of the Hikers Rest on a Palace forum from 2003...

07-03-2003, 10:41 AM
The Hikers Rest in Coldean was pretty dodgy. Apprantley they had a framed Palace shirt from a Brighton Palace game...with the blood still on it. I never saw it.

I was one of the few students that could say they went in that pub twice. It was one of those pubs that taxi firms wouldn't pick up from.

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-33740.html

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Just found this interesting review of the Hikers Rest on a Palace forum from 2003...

07-03-2003, 10:41 AM
The Hikers Rest in Coldean was pretty dodgy. Apprantley they had a framed Palace shirt from a Brighton Palace game...with the blood still on it. I never saw it.

I was one of the few students that could say they went in that pub twice. It was one of those pubs that taxi firms wouldn't pick up from.

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-33740.html

from personal experience the taxi thing was true

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Been renamed as Ruby. Cafe, bar, restaurant and Indian takeaway.

Rumours are that it will be a sports bar so could be ideal for match days.

Scaffolding has been removed and sign painted today. Might be close to re-opening.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Been renamed as Ruby. Cafe, bar, restaurant and Indian takeaway.

Rumours are that it will be a sports bar so could be ideal for match days.

Scaffolding has been removed and sign painted today. Might be close to re-opening.

I've said for years a curry house/sports bar would be a winner. ******** have nicked my idea.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I once asked a well known Brighton based pub chain owner if he ever fancied taking on the Hikers Rest?

He replied " I'm a licensee not a missionary"

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here