Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Garth's latest summary...

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
"Chris Hughton maintained that Brighton had a good pre-season and were ready for Watford. But Watford, and more to the point Pereyra, sent that particular notion up in flames.

Brighton were awful and their manager told them so. Pereyra, on the other hand, scored two magnificent goals and made the Hornets look like a team capable of turning their fourth consecutive season in the Premier League into a successful one.
"

Love him or hate him, he's right on the money there.

Here's hoping Chris did actually give the players a real bollocking. We pay way too much money following our 'premier' team to be served up with so little effort, desire and commitment.

Shame, says I.

Put it right boys.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Pereyra's first yes, was a great strike. To describe both goals as magnificent though is a bit much, seeing as how for the second he was given the freedom of the area to wander in unhindered by such things as defenders.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Hmmm, bit of a strange one. Can Hughton really be that unimpressed? I mean, it’s pretty much the same 11 players, conceding goals in the same unacceptable manner deploying the same tactics that were thoroughly unsuccessful last season.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
bang on .

We limped into that game after a pre season that didn't feel great IMHO.

We deserve the negative press for this week as that was a shambles for an opening day.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I did wonder how Garth knows 'Hughton told them so...' is this a conversation the two have had? or is he basing that on Chris saying we were second best... I'm guessing the latter, but here's to the sensationalist spin therein.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Hmmm, bit of a strange one. Can Hughton really be that unimpressed? I mean, it’s pretty much the same 11 players, conceding goals in the same unacceptable manner deploying the same tactics that were thoroughly unsuccessful last season.

Yep, we did have games like that last season - WBA, Huddersfield, Leicester, Everton - but we had a lot of away games last year in which we had the effort and passion and commitment needed to get points even when we were second best for large periods. We were battered for a good 30 minutes in the first half at West Ham, but fought hard and came out 3-0 winners. We were second best for whole of second half at Swansea and held on to our 1-0 lead. At Stoke, Newcastle, Burnley and Saints we got points through effort and verve.

So yes that was the same players, same tactics - but not the same commitment. Was it just because we knew staying up in our first season would be done on the back of teamwork and dedication, but now its second season we believe we belong and are more complacent? We either need to get that effort back, or move onto better players fast. Old team + less effort = relegation

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Love the panic after one game it’s amusing.

No-one is panicking but you would expect a better performance than that. And nothing wrong with airing ones views.

A lot of people travelled. What would happen if the fans couldn't be arsed as well?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I actually agree with him for a change.
I hope those Brighton players read that column this morning too.

Blimey if they have to read a Garth Crooks column for inspiration we are in trouble ...i’m In no doubt the players will know that game was one big cock up of a performance and have faith that CH will deal with it in the way he knows best ..but be prepared for another long hard season imho

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Make em wear black boots and fine the buggers if they come in with their heads painted.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
With hindsight is anyone really surprised we played awful.

If someone told you on Saturday morning the first 11 was essentially the same as last season and we were playing away from home against a pressing team what would you have thought?

We have been awful against pressing teams for the past few years, including the Championship. I watched that video someone posted the other day, recorded in 2011, in which Hughton talks about how to play against this and it seems to primarily revolve around the ‘number 10’ moving deeper and controlling the play, often towards the wingers. Presumably that is what we are trying to do and presumably Gross and March weren’t up to it on Saturday, hence both being subbed; both seemed relatively lightweight IMO. Hopefully it isn’t a case of them not ever being up to it, otherwise we will continue to struggle, unless the new signings step up, which could well be the case.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
Garth Crooks didnt need to hold back , in fact he probably could have gone further ... we didnt turn up for the game as simple as that and the players must know it without being told , or at least I hope they didnt need telling how poor they were

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I did wonder how Garth knows 'Hughton told them so...' is this a conversation the two have had? or is he basing that on Chris saying we were second best... I'm guessing the latter, but here's to the sensationalist spin therein.

Well they are mates from their Spurs days so could easily have had a chat.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
With hindsight is anyone really surprised we played awful.

If someone told you on Saturday morning the first 11 was essentially the same as last season and we were playing away from home against a pressing team what would you have thought?

We have been awful against pressing teams for the past few years, including the Championship. I watched that video someone posted the other day, recorded in 2011, in which Hughton talks about how to play against this and it seems to primarily revolve around the ‘number 10’ moving deeper and controlling the play, often towards the wingers. Presumably that is what we are trying to do and presumably Gross and March weren’t up to it on Saturday, hence both being subbed; both seemed relatively lightweight IMO. Hopefully it isn’t a case of them not ever being up to it, otherwise we will continue to struggle, unless the new signings step up, which could well be the case.

Hughton's views on how to combat gengenpressing are basically bollocks. As stated above we haven't got a clue when gegenpressed. The only way to combat it is to gegenpress ourselves (something I thought we were supposed to be doing this season, hence the extra training pre-season) or to have players with sufficient skill, fitness, intelligence and movement (ie not us) who can play their way out of it. Given that the pre-season super fitness training doesn't seem to have paid off I predict we will still have major problems against gegenpressing teams and this in spite of the way Hughton moves his plastic players around the white board!!

Hamilton

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think it's good to get beat by Watford in the first game. Acts as a nice wake-up call to start the season.

The season can now start properly at the Amex this weekend.

(although, in actual fact, I can never get into most seasons until around September)

Hamilton

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Hughton's views on how to combat gengenpressing are basically bollocks. As stated above we haven't got a clue when gegenpressed. The only way to combat it is to gegenpress ourselves (something I thought we were supposed to be doing this season, hence the extra training pre-season) or to have players with sufficient skill, fitness, intelligence and movement (ie not us) who can play their way out of it. Given that the pre-season super fitness training doesn't seem to have paid off I predict we will still have major problems against gegenpressing teams and this in spite of the way Hughton moves his plastic players around the white board!!

What is gengenpressing? Sounds very new age :)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
Love the panic after one game it’s amusing.

I'm not sure it's panic. More a frustration that we have had a pretty good transfer window but now have to wait to see the fruits of that come through. Hopefully over the next 4-5 games we will start to see the new players come in, do well and really make a difference. We still have Izzy as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here