Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Garth's latest summary...

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
"Chris Hughton maintained that Brighton had a good pre-season and were ready for Watford. But Watford, and more to the point Pereyra, sent that particular notion up in flames.

Brighton were awful and their manager told them so. Pereyra, on the other hand, scored two magnificent goals and made the Hornets look like a team capable of turning their fourth consecutive season in the Premier League into a successful one.
"

Love him or hate him, he's right on the money there.

Here's hoping Chris did actually give the players a real bollocking. We pay way too much money following our 'premier' team to be served up with so little effort, desire and commitment.

Shame, says I.

Put it right boys.

He does like flowery and verbose does Garth...

You'd know :lolol:

As GC likes flowery and pot pourri, I'm damn sure that he could have dressed it up like this for the real world:
"With the Albion starting their first game in the PL, losing without much effort in return, is sure to mean that they could be in sh!t creek, and it's onwards and upwards from here"
In a pragmatic sort of way :thumbsup:

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
After the new guys came on we certainly looked a lot better, and that bodes well for the rest of the season. . A long way to go, and yes, if we play like that for the remaining 37 games we will be relegated. However, I don't think we will play like that all season. Its a shame that the first game went quite so pear shaped, and I expect CH has let the players know his thoughts. Its nowhere near time to get the rubber bed sheets out, and whilst the game against Man Utd may not give us any points on the board, I expect we will see a very different Albion.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Hughton's views on how to combat gengenpressing are basically bollocks. As stated above we haven't got a clue when gegenpressed. The only way to combat it is to gegenpress ourselves (something I thought we were supposed to be doing this season, hence the extra training pre-season) or to have players with sufficient skill, fitness, intelligence and movement (ie not us) who can play their way out of it. Given that the pre-season super fitness training doesn't seem to have paid off I predict we will still have major problems against gegenpressing teams and this in spite of the way Hughton moves his plastic players around the white board!!

I guess failing that absorbing the pressure/defending until the opposition run out of energy, as they likely will do at some point, and hoping that's not too late on in the game.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I did wonder how Garth knows 'Hughton told them so...' is this a conversation the two have had? or is he basing that on Chris saying we were second best... I'm guessing the latter, but here's to the sensationalist spin therein.

I am guessing ''the former''

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
No-one is panicking but you would expect a better performance than that. And nothing wrong with airing ones views.

A lot of people travelled. What would happen if the fans couldn't be arsed as well?

Watford wouldn't have made much money.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Pereyra's first yes, was a great strike. To describe both goals as magnificent though is a bit much, seeing as how for the second he was given the freedom of the area to wander in unhindered by such things as defenders.

Assisted by Knockeart for the 2nd

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
True though. Visiting fans just put money in the pockets of the home club.

I know its is but I just found the comment really funny.................. I have a slightly weird sense of humour. Sometimes I can laugh watching an egg boil

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I know its is but I just found the comment really funny.................. I have a slightly weird sense of humour. Sometimes I can laugh watching an egg boil

I know the feeling. All those little bubbles going in all directions. :lol:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
With hindsight is anyone really surprised we played awful.

If someone told you on Saturday morning the first 11 was essentially the same as last season and we were playing away from home against a pressing team what would you have thought?

We have been awful against pressing teams for the past few years, including the Championship. I watched that video someone posted the other day, recorded in 2011, in which Hughton talks about how to play against this and it seems to primarily revolve around the ‘number 10’ moving deeper and controlling the play, often towards the wingers. Presumably that is what we are trying to do and presumably Gross and March weren’t up to it on Saturday, hence both being subbed; both seemed relatively lightweight IMO. Hopefully it isn’t a case of them not ever being up to it, otherwise we will continue to struggle, unless the new signings step up, which could well be the case.

Talk about pessimistic. How on earth did we manage to get promoted from the Championship not knowing how to play against a pressing game.

Hopefully it isn't a case of them not ever being up to it?
Good grief. One game and you've written off two players, one of whom was the Player of the Season.

We've had bad games away before, Rotherham, Huddersfield, Cardiff and Forest spring immediately to mind in recent years. What makes me laugh is the hyperbole I see typed on social media as the worst game the fans have ever seen, and stinking out the whole division etc etc

It was a bad game away. It happens and we also know that Hughton can deal with it. He has done before and he will do again. We also know that he is quite capable of losing his temper with the players as journalists have heard it, but he keeps it in the dressing room. Those players will have had a real telling off, and know exactly what Chris's feelings are.

They and Brighton will bounce back, believe me.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

I find when I’m frying an egg I can split my sides with laughter.

I wonder just what is the funniest way to cook an egg.

Nondescript Nick

May 19, 2017
Love the panic after one game it’s amusing.

Perhaps more disappointment/concern than panic.

I’m sure people were hoping more for signs of the BHA vs Arsenal than the BHA vs countless average sides away from home last season. Fail to progress from last season’s dismal away record, and we are putting a great deal of pressure on our home performances.

So not panic as such, but to assume people are concerned only with this game in isolation is perhaps a mistake, given the performance’s unnerving similarities to problems echoing last season.

One hopes that the influx of new signings will address these issues, but given the uncertainties surrounding any new signings, to simply ‘laugh’ at people’s legitimate airing of their concerns comes across as somewhat patronising.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Talk about pessimistic. How on earth did we manage to get promoted from the Championship not knowing how to play against a pressing game.

Hopefully it isn't a case of them not ever being up to it?
Good grief. One game and you've written off two players, one of whom was the Player of the Season.

We've had bad games away before, Rotherham, Huddersfield, Cardiff and Forest spring immediately to mind in recent years. What makes me laugh is the hyperbole I see typed on social media as the worst game the fans have ever seen, and stinking out the whole division etc etc

It was a bad game away. It happens and we also know that Hughton can deal with it. He has done before and he will do again. We also know that he is quite capable of losing his temper with the players as journalists have heard it, but he keeps it in the dressing room. Those players will have had a real telling off, and know exactly what Chris's feelings are.

They and Brighton will bounce back, believe me.

I think you are misunderstanding my post. I am not saying specific players and the team generally are not up to it and am writing them off, nor that Saturday was the worst performance ever. What I am saying is that against certain teams and the way they play, i.e those not allowing us time on the ball, we suffer badly.

Clearly when in the Championship this wasn't a major problem, and even last season wasn't either. But the better and fitter teams and players get the less time we will have on the ball. It's not pessimistic to point out weaknesses.

As an example we never looked like beating Liverpool last season and overall conceded nine, scoring one, whereas against Man Utd we were more than a match away from home and obviously beat them at the Amex.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
It’s clear he’s had a massive go at them. After every game they always post something on social
Media but were all pretty anonymous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here