Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] £100m Government Plan To End Rough Sleeping

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Show me a big city and I’ll show you rough sleepers. In places like San Francisco whole families are sleeping rough. Can’t blame Theresa may for everything.

Arguably you can blame her for subscribing to the Amercan way of managing sociel services.....i.e., not properly funding them....

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
im not writing them off , i dont doubt thir lives can be turned round , im questioning why they start in the first place, helen fvcking keller can see there is only one end to their journey , even those lucky enough to get off it will end up as a skanky loser in the gutter before they do, so why not keep away from the sh1t in the first place ? please (if you were going to) spare me the crap about impressionable youngsters as well

you being serious ?

Not everyone has perfect up bringing's. To some the pain of childhood being abused secually , mentally and physically amongst all sorts of horrors sometimes means the numbness found on heroin and the like is actually better than trying to cope with some of the bad bad bad shi1t that has happened to them.

Pretty naïve if that really is your thinking. God bless humanity !!!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
you being serious ?

Not everyone has perfect up bringing's. To some the pain of childhood being abused secually , mentally and physically amongst all sorts of horrors sometimes means the numbness found on heroin and the like is actually better than trying to cope with some of the bad bad bad shi1t that has happened to them.

Pretty naïve if that really is your thinking. God bless humanity !!!
Or you could become a stronger person and not let it beat you. Plenty have success in life prior to terrible times as a child.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Depends on whether it's a workable idea or just another quick fix to pacify the electorate.

I was listening recently to an old John Peel programme from the early 90s. It contains the BBC news broadcasts. Top news that day was a statement from the prime minister, John Major, who claimed that the number of homeless sleeping on the street was a 'disgrace' because they (to paraphrase) were making our city centres an 'eyesore' and these people need to be 'moved on' or arrested. It actually sounds quite shocking to hear today.

No matter how much mother May wrings her pious hands, the tory view (which is highly debatable) is that we don't have the money to do anything other than offer small tokens. That said, although labour can sometimes (but not always) be moved to spend substantial amounts of taxpayers' money, they quite often have little idea how to spend it well, i.e., tackle the underlying issues, and end up offering a taxi voucher service so that addicts can travel safely to their dealer to buy drugs (I made that up), or shovelling wads of money into the back pocket of a bloke sleeping on the pavement (I made that up, too - not quite sure what labour typically do to waste tax payers' money on the homeless, but I am sure someone can enlighten me....).

Despite the obvious frustration of the situation, I do think the issue is much less toxic than it was 20 years ago. I can't see a British PM implying that the homeless are scum any time soon (I am assuming here that Pettigrew the traitor never becomes PM).

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Does the government have no responsibility for the year on year rise in homelessness?

Do those who are homeless have no moral responsibility for themselves? Don't get me wrong, the government do are responsible for policy and what it may create, but individuals also have to look at their own life choices. Some of those people will have been a victim of life, some will be a victim of themselves, most will be somewhere in between.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'd like to see how they propose to cure the homeless problem in practical terms. They simply won't be able to stop people leaving their supplied accommodation to sleep on the streets then they lose that accommodation because they have left it vacant and so on and so on. Unless they are going to lock them all up you cannot solve homelessness. Handouts are no good to them long term because they will never have to change if they are continually provided for. Homeless people are here to stay.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I was referring to labour...I would applaud the good they try to do but why applaud them undoing a part of the shit thing they did in the first place!?

If it's a positive step, then that's a good thing. If it's a positive step to undo someones previous backward step, then take that into account in your overall view of them, but NOT at the expense of supporting the step forward itself.

What do you want? Someone to say, "well we caused this problem, so it's not our job to try and fix it". Surely that's the very opposite of what is right. You fecked it up, you can stand up and sort it. That's why I was one of the few who voted Gordon Brown in the election after the recession hit. Don't walk away and leave it to someone else, YOU fix it buddy.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Depends on whether it's a workable idea or just another quick fix to pacify the electorate.

Of course, but too often no-one listens beyond "Today, a Labour/Conservative proposal ......." and if it's not the party they voted for it's already rubbish, or even worse, "how dare THEY, are it was THEM who ......"

Sometimes it's like people want to see the country fail so that they can blame May, Brexit, Trump, Corbyn, Brown, The Iraq War, Blair, Thatcher, Churchill .... whoever or whatever is their particular agenda. Just seems a bit sad. It may mean people's lives are ruined, or remain ruined, but as long as they can stand up in a pub and proudly announce "see I told you Blair would destroy everything and here we have it" then they're absolutely fine with whatever suffering has befallen others. Not their fault it's Blair or Brexit or whatever.

How about sodding all of that and we all try and take a bit of ownership back. Feel shitty about the homeless, try to do something to actually help. Volunteer for a soup kitchen, collect clothes donated for the homeless, do one of those sponsored sleep-outs for a homeless charity, there are all sorts of things. We seem to have stopped doing things to make things better and just replaced it with protesting and arguing about the things we don't like.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Or you could become a stronger person and not let it beat you. Plenty have success in life prior to terrible times as a child.

Sorry but that is a very ignorant comment. What if you have mental health problems and cannot simply "become a stronger person"? What if your Dad and Brothers took turns in raping you repeatedly from the age of 5 and since being homeless you have been raped a few more times. "Come on flowerpot, up you get, time to become a stronger person please".

****ing Hell, some of the levels of ignorance of this board are astounding. "Become a stronger person". **** me!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Of course, but too often no-one listens beyond "Today, a Labour/Conservative proposal ......." and if it's not the party they voted for it's already rubbish, or even worse, "how dare THEY, are it was THEM who ......"

Sometimes it's like people want to see the country fail so that they can blame May, Brexit, Trump, Corbyn, Brown, The Iraq War, Blair, Thatcher, Churchill .... whoever or whatever is their particular agenda. Just seems a bit sad. It may mean people's lives are ruined, or remain ruined, but as long as they can stand up in a pub and proudly announce "see I told you Blair would destroy everything and here we have it" then they're absolutely fine with whatever suffering has befallen others. Not their fault it's Blair or Brexit or whatever.

How about sodding all of that and we all try and take a bit of ownership back. Feel shitty about the homeless, try to do something to actually help. Volunteer for a soup kitchen, collect clothes donated for the homeless, do one of those sponsored sleep-outs for a homeless charity, there are all sorts of things. We seem to have stopped doing things to make things better and just replaced it with protesting and arguing about the things we don't like.

Have we? The number of volunteers is at an all time high.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
No. They SHOULD bloody well fix it. But to praise them for something that should already happen is silly. If a party introduced the death penalty for speeding and then a year later removed it it should not be praised for a "great step forward".

I would be pleased that they have removed it. You would seemingly go "oh FFS fecking idiots."

Also, very few things like this have been caused by the exact same people as those who in your view have directly caused it. No-one currently in Government created the homeless problem in this country.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Every politician in my lifetime has had the opportunity to solve it. None have. I can only assume they didn't want to, why the sudden change of heart? Maybe just to look good? Maybe they won't even do it. IF they do it I will think about praising them. If they miss the target it was just another soundbite to appeal to voters.

So what do you want? For no politician to ever try again? Or are you so negative these days that you will just dismiss any attempt as being insincere and inadequate?

We're going to have to agree to differ here mate, I'm getting nowhere, and I've got work to do.

Homelessness is a tragedy, and anyone trying anything to improve the situation should be encouraged in my book. Don't understand any other stance on it myself.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
How dare you highlight that it was worse under a Labour administration, that’s terrible behaviour and the Whataboutary police will be along soon!!

Rough sleepers and the numbers of registered homeless quoted are 2 different things. 'Registered Homeless' went up under the nasty, evil, wicked, bad, Tony Blair Labour administration that's still loathed by all committed broflakes everywhere to this day, because The Homelessness Act 2002 was passed by them and 'priority need' was extended to include additional vulnerable groups (kids coming out of care, ex-service personnel etc) and local authorities were duty bound to register them as homeless and assist, hence the figures went up before falling away until austerity kicked in.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

Do You have any idea the horrors some people are exposed to in their youth. Have you had to overcome parents/adults that rape and beat you? Have you had to deal with extreme mental health problems? Or worse? Saying you should just toughen up is an insult.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Tories have cut services across the board causing more people to be homeless. The cuts made by Boris Johnson to woman's services in the city of London led directly to a rise in the number of deaths of vulnerable women.

The Tories have cut funding to services for vulnerable people, young people and families at risk of homelessness or severe poverty by £1b in the last six years. Now they want to give them £100m. A shortfall of £900m.

If I took your last tenner out of your wallet and swapped it for a £1 coin, you'd be pretty pissed of and rightly so. You might be even more pissed off If I then went around announcing I'd given you a quid. Would you not?

I work on the frontline of this problem. It's getting worse and £100m promise from a party that will never have to deliver on such promises is an insult and more to the point, it's not going to change anything.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I was referring to labour...I would applaud the good they try to do but why applaud them undoing a part of the shit thing they did in the first place!?

I am not trying to be pedantic but......
Did not the Tory government instruct the future tuition cost to a cross party commission to come up with a solution to spiralling higher education costs? The commissions findings were to introduce deferred costs to be paid by graduates when their earnings after education were at a level whereby it was deemed affordable to repay said costs?admittedly the findings and solutions were introduced by the newly elected Labour government of 1997 but I am positive that the costs would have been introduced had the Conservatives won that election! and those who were deemed by means testing able to afford it paid tuition fees whilst the student was receiving the higher education? At least this is my recollection and why I had to pay for my sons degree course fees whilst he studied, we chose Brighton uni between us so that he was able to live at home rent and cost free to eliminate his ending up with grant aid living expense debt after his graduation, though he did apply for a small loan whilst taking time out and did repay his loan when in work even though he chose to follow a career outside the UK /EC.
I could be mistaken about the introduction of fees, but this is how I recall them but would be happy if the more knowledgable on here could enlighten me?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I work on the frontline of this problem

Seriously?

I remember you telling the board how an unemployed family family with five children is likely to be living in a hostel with only enough money to share a can of soup, I showed you that they are more than likely be in receipt of £35 000 of annual benefits, you chose not to use the benefit calculator and ran away from the discussion and now you say you are on the 'frontline', really.

Go ahead ....

https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/AboutYou

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here