Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Where's the Zaha thread gone?

Eagle88

Oct 15, 2012
...or, just possibly... when a player made such a hash of his first chance at a Top6 club that everyone except yourselves is a little too nervous about whether he has actually grown up enough to be anything other than a big fish in your little pond.

However talented he may actually be, there is clearly still an "ego" element that makes him a less attractive buy than... well everyone else who did get the move they wanted this summer.

You know... just saying...

Suits us down to the ground surely - we hold on to him while he spends another season trying to prove the world wrong. Playing in a settled team this time, I imagine he'll probably progress further. A goal, and in the team of the week after 1 match - could be worse.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Suits us down to the ground surely - we hold on to him while he spends another season trying to prove the world wrong. Playing in a settled team this time, I imagine he'll probably progress further. A goal, and in the team of the week after 1 match - could be worse.

Like I say. Big fish in a small pond clearly suits him. The sort of squad that gets Champions League football... much bigger pond, with fish much bigger than Mr Tumble - Not what his delicate ego seems to be capable of dealing with.

I think you'll have him a little longer... although I'm sure Parish would rather sell and then buy him back at pence in the pound later, after he has blotted his copybook (with a Top6 team) again.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
No interest whatsoever in laughing at you for losing your first game. Certainly no delusions of us being world beaters either - a penalty claim away from it being very different. Hell of a long way to go.

A 150 page Zaha thread ridden with contradictions and bitterness on the other hand does capture my interest.

We've already established you don't know what bitterness means.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
I don’t know of any Palace fan who thinks he will stay beyond this season, but we can only hope he does.
His worth will grow this season, and it will be a pleasure to see him in the red and blue once more.
For those of you who keep saying he failed at a big club, didn’t Salah and De Bruyne fail at Chelsea when they were young ?
Sometimes young players need to develope at their own pace, and I’ve no doubt Wilf will play for one of the big boys.
I think Wilf will have a great season, with lots of assists and goals for us.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Interesting stats on Zaha withn this report:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45158915

The importance of Zaha
To say Wilfried Zaha is pivotal to Crystal Palace is an understatement.

Last season, the Ivory Coast international missed nine league games and without him in the side, they failed to claim a single point. His nine goals in 29 games were key to an 11th-placed finish.

Zaha stayed at Selhurst Park having been linked with a move away in the summer and he started this season by netting in the 2-0 win over promoted Fulham.

The move to Manchester United, where he struggled to break into the first team, has been put behind him and you may be surprised to know he is now Palace's joint-leading scorer in the top flight since 1992-93, level with former striker Chris Armstrong on 23 goals.

Zaha's 18 sprints were the most of any player on the pitch against Fulham and he clocked an impressive high speed of 34.43 km/h in the match. Rapid.

Eagle88

Oct 15, 2012
Like I say. Big fish in a small pond clearly suits him. The sort of squad that gets Champions League football... much bigger pond, with fish much bigger than Mr Tumble - Not what his delicate ego seems to be capable of dealing with.

I think you'll have him a little longer... although I'm sure Parish would rather sell and then buy him back at pence in the pound later, after he has blotted his copybook (with a Top6 team) again.

The whole failed at a big club narrative is hardly water tight. As others have pointed out Salah, De Bruyne, Pogba etc all needed two bites at the cherry. Incredibly unfortunate timing too to be signed by Ferguson, only to turn up and have Moyes as your manager - hardly an ideal scenario for a 20 year old.

Incidentally, not that is has anything to do with Wilf but, it's hardly a poor reflection on Parish that he drove a good deal from the administrators. Let's not forget your own compromising financial situation - in £300m of debt to Bloom if I remember correctly.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The whole failed at a big club narrative is hardly water tight. As others have pointed out Salah, De Bruyne, Pogba etc all needed two bites at the cherry. Incredibly unfortunate timing too to be signed by Ferguson, only to turn up and have Moyes as your manager - hardly an ideal scenario for a 20 year old.

Incidentally, not that is has anything to do with Wilf but, it's hardly a poor reflection on Parish that he drove a good deal from the administrators. Let's not forget your own compromising financial situation - in £300m of debt to Bloom if I remember correctly.

We are not in a compromising financial situation. We do not owe £300M (has anyone noticed when away fans try to guess the amount of money Tony has put into the club, it goes up and up) to Bloom. That's Mr Bloom to you.
He has already converted some of the money into shares, and has told me to my face (at a Fans Forum) the money is ring fenced, so if the worst came to the worse, and he died prematurely, the money dies with him. He has a very tangible asset to pass onto his son, a football club fully paid for.

Troll.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005

Good try.. we have invested in our infrastructure, you have spunked an obscene amount of money on wages etc and still only finished 4 points ahead of us! Still your American investors will be looking for a return.. with interest.. bit different hey?

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009

Try again, We are not £300m in debt to him. He has put £300m into the club though.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

I'm not saying he'll never succeed at the the highest level, I'm merely saying that buying club become cautious about recruiting a player with a track record of "issues".
Players grow up and recruitment teams these days look closely an attitude and eventually someone will take a punt on him. And maybe he'll do well and maybe he won't... personally I think the latter. The longer he stays the "star" player at Palace the longer his ego is fed and the harder it will be to integrate into a team of stars. Not saying he can't, just don't think he will.

Unlike some, I'm not having a dig and I think you'll keep Wilf longer than most others seem to, just because I believe that he doesn't have the right attitude to be a team player at the highest level. He needs to be the star and he won't be at that level of club.

As for the reference to the buy back I was refering to you robbing ManU last time Haha left. Though interesting to note the defensiveness over your past financial integrity.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton

You don't remember correctly, it's what you have read over at the BBS away end and taking it at as fact. Try doing some research then talk about our financial affairs.

Does it make all you lot feel better about yourselves and the financial gloom over SE25 by making up our debt? TB is too savy to let his investments slip, he is a gambler and will only call when he knows the odds are stacked in his favour - See our promotion 2 seasons ago.

But then again you won't take any of that in as is doesn't fit your narrative.

Eagle88

Oct 15, 2012
I'm not saying he'll never succeed at the the highest level, I'm merely saying that buying club become cautious about recruiting a player with a track record of "issues".
Players grow up and recruitment teams these days look closely an attitude and eventually someone will take a punt on him. And maybe he'll do well and maybe he won't... personally I think the latter. The longer he stays the "star" player at Palace the longer his ego is fed and the harder it will be to integrate into a team of stars. Not saying he can't, just don't think he will.

Unlike some, I'm not having a dig and I think you'll keep Wilf longer than most others seem to, just because I believe that he doesn't have the right attitude to be a team player at the highest level. He needs to be the star and he won't be at that level of club.

As for the reference to the buy back I was refering to you robbing ManU last time Haha left. Though interesting to note the defensiveness over your past financial integrity.

Fair enough. I'm not sure what the track record of issues is though. I think he joined Man Utd as a 20 year in pretty unfortunate circumstances when the club was in transition and then latterly crisis and by all accounts was miserable. I've seen nothing from him at Palace either before of after the move that ever suggested that he has any sort of attitude problem.

Whether or not he would thrive in a team full of stars is anyone's guess but I don't see why not. My intuition would say that playing in a team where he isn't the focal point would allow him far more space and time on the ball.

Robbing Man U makes the whole thing more satisfying. My bad re TB

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Look. Whatever anyone says we all know that Zaha is your best player by a country mile. I'd go further than that. He's the best forward in the league outside the top 6. Not by a country mile...but definitely a country 100 yards.

He has earned the unfortunate soubriquet of being a terrible cheat...but then again he is VERY good at it and hey...it works so well done him.

Would he do well in a top class team? Talent wise he should do well. He's definitely got all the right ingredients but then why oh why is he still hanging around Palace?.

Don't give me the "wilfs loyal, he loves Parish, he bleeds clown colours" we all know that's shit. Christ knows he's dropped enough hints all over the media that he wants out...so again...why is he still there?

I can only think that some of the rumours about him are true. His shitty attitude, insistence on star status, everyone play to him, his terrible attitude at training...surely not all the rumours about Wilfs mystery allegiance to Ivory Coast rather than England...no one being able to stand him...billy big bollocks etc etc. must have some traction.

Getting the heave ho from Moyes when the boy was hand picked by sir Alex himself should tell you something about that young man and his attitude around proper football teams with proper disciplinary actions and some ethical backbone rather than a group of last chance saloon desperadoes and dodgy chairmen like CPFC and all of their comedy antics.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Try again, We are not £300m in debt to him. He has put £300m into the club though.
You (and every other Albion fan who responds) are wasting your time and energy with these thick Palace tw@ts who don't have a clue about our club's finances. They cannot grasp the simple concept of Tony Bloom's investment. Unlike their growing list of Spivs who have all saddled their club with unsustainable debts and continue to do so at Cladding Palace.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
You (and every other Albion fan who responds) are wasting your time and energy with these thick Palace tw@ts who don't have a clue about our club's finances. They cannot grasp the simple concept of Tony Bloom's investment. Unlike their growing list of Spivs who have all saddled their club with unsustainable debts and continue to do so at Cladding Palace.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

They're still trying to work how many ex managers are getting paid from their income. I think the only one who isn't is Pulis.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
What mystery allegiance to Ivory Coast?

He was born in Abidjan on the Ivory Coast, I don’t get your point.

Capped twice by England then swaps to Ivory Coast (who don't pick him) in 2016. Ring any bells?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Where's the Zaha thread gone?

Sadly the fckuing thing hasn't gone anywhere. It's still stinking in a corner on here. Time it went somewhere else - anybody got a re-cycling bin that's a bit under-used?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here