Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] "We're cracking down on dangerous cycling".

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They don’t pay any road tax.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Anything that heightens the chances of Stat Brother being imprisoned is alright in my book.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm not above giving a cyclist (as a pedestrian) a bit of verbal who goes through a red light.

But good luck with that. One thing that won't happen is enforcement of any driving laws, especially given the reduced resources of the authorities.

Is it simple? Or is it daft? What you appear to be saying is 'let cars have priority on 'A' roads, and cyclists have priority on 'B' roads.

'A' road are often, by their very nature, bigger, wider and more 'important' access roads, and would therefore be better as hosting a cycle lane.

'B' road are generally smaller, usually single lane, with no facilities to host cycle lanes. And any car on a 'B' road would not be able to use the road to its fullest purpose.

That was a tongue in the cheek post knowing the OP is always going on about cyclists and also I wouldn't build cycle lanes especially on a promenade as the mere word promenade is to walk.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
That was a tongue in the cheek post knowing the OP is always going on about cyclists and also I wouldn't build cycle lanes especially on a promenade as the mere word promenade is to walk.

The cycle lane on Brighton seafront is (between the Palace Pier and West Pier) is a bit daft. It works mostly, but it can be improved.

If the money was there, the council could re-build the road - widening it to accommodate a cycle lane, narrowing the pavement slightly, but still keeping it separate from the road. I'd say there is room to do that.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
The cycle lane on Brighton seafront is (between the Palace Pier and West Pier) is a bit daft. It works mostly, but it can be improved.

If the money was there, the council could re-build the road - widening it to accommodate a cycle lane, narrowing the pavement slightly, but still keeping it separate from the road. I'd say there is room to do that.
That part of the cycle lane is too small but it's not rocket science , don't cycle through there at 20+mph.
I'm a cyclist and driver.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That may work in Brighton but it doesnt on Worthing seafront and was always one of my mothers pet hates and where I got the idea that promenade means to walk from.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Its an esplanade.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Definitely gets my vote.

After all the 2 people a year killed by dangerous cycling need a voice.
The 5 people killed daily by dangerous cars, can go f**k themselves.

[tweet]1028646088260169729[/tweet]

Ever driven in London and seen cyclists taking their lives in their hands? Just about the lot of them are complete idiots.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I
'A' road are often, by their very nature, bigger, wider and more 'important' access roads, and would therefore be better as hosting a cycle lane.

I put to you the A24 at Warnham, the A272, A27 past Lewes, anywhere really, and probably over the country hundreds more examples where A roads are no wider than B roads.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I put to you the A24 at Warnham, the A272, A27 past Lewes, anywhere really, and probably over the country hundreds more examples where A roads are no wider than B roads.

I would think the exceptions are the A27, A259 and A23 in and around Brighton.most others in the Brighton area do not qualify as being wider.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

It doesn't work. Having a narrow cyclepath where the pedestrians walk at a tangent to cyclists never does. A big wide esplanade works better as there is more room to avoid pedestrians.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The seafront cycle lane in Worthing is separate from the road.

It works very well.

Take a walk to Splash Point Worthing where the cycle lane bends and narrows about 8am in the morning and watch the peloton thundering by in both directions with no quarter given.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
They don’t pay any road tax.

Nor require a license. The government are missing an opportunity for both more bureaucracy and income, and more control of these two wheelers.
In terms of licensing and taxation, I have often wondered why they don’t have more control of access to the internet both as a source of income and some ability to control some of the idiots that use it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here