Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] "We're cracking down on dangerous cycling".

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Take a walk to Splash Point Worthing where the cycle lane bends and narrows about 8am in the morning and watch the peloton thundering by in both directions with no quarter given.

That doesn't half read like you're complaining about how cyclists cycle in the designated cycle lane.

(FYI I loathe shared lanes, I think they are more dangerous than riding on the road)

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
That doesn't half read like you're complaining about how cyclists cycle in the designated cycle lane.

(FYI I loathe shared lanes, I think they are more dangerous than riding on the road)

Question for you Stat. If you are within the cycle lane trotting along quite rapidly and you come upon a bunch of pensioners enjoying a leisurely cycle will you automatically go out into the pedestrian area to continue your speed? Or would you slow and politely ask them to make way?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Question for you Stat. If you are within the cycle lane trotting along quite rapidly and you come upon a bunch of pensioners enjoying a leisurely cycle will you automatically go out into the pedestrian area to continue your speed? Or would you slow and politely ask them to make way?

When fully MAMiL'ed I don't use cycle lanes, as I do not believe I ride at a speed that makes it safe to do so.
On the rare occasion that I do, I'm probably overtaken by said pensioners.

I'm planning on riding the 7 or 8 miles to Bognor tomorrow with Stat Club Jnrs (12 & 13), this is only possible because of the new cycle path, now at least 95% of the journey will be away from the road.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
If this Government really want to save lives on the road re-instate the 30% of Traffic Police they’ve got rid of since 2010

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
When fully MAMiL'ed I don't use cycle lanes, as I do not believe I ride at a speed that makes it safe to do so.
On the rare occasion that I do, I'm probably overtaken by said pensioners.

I'm planning on riding the 7 or 8 miles to Bognor tomorrow with Stat Club Jnrs (12 & 13), this is only possible because of the new cycle path, now at least 95% of the journey will be away from the road.

All right swerver treat it as an hypothetical question and give me an honest answer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
All right swerver treat it as an hypothetical question and give me an honest answer.
Then I'd slow down and attempt to stay in the lane.
If I went into the pedestrian lane, I'd 'mirror signal maneuver' the shit out of it.

But my initial caveat still stands, I would not, never have, and never will be, trotting along quite rapidly in a split/shared cycle lane.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Then I'd slow down and attempt to stay in the lane.
If I went into the pedestrian lane, I'd 'mirror signal maneuver' the shit out of it.

But my initial caveat still stands, I would not, never have, and never will be, trotting along quite rapidly in a split/shared cycle lane.

There, that is much better than flippancy answers. You may have a very good degree of cycling skills and awareness but many many do not.

Edit. At NO time can any other vehicle enter a pedestrian zone without it being illegal.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There, that is much better than flippancy answers. You may have a very good degree of cycling skills and awareness but many many do not.

A bit like car drivers.

The point being, of the 1700 deaths on the road in 2016, 3 (three) were caused by cyclists.
By all means get the cycling house in order, esp the 'anti-social' stuff, but those figures would suggest the priority still needs to be elsewhere.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
A bit like car drivers.

The point being, of the 1700 deaths on the road in 2016, 3 (three) were caused by cyclists.
By all means get the cycling house in order, esp the 'anti-social' stuff, but those figures would suggest the priority still needs to be elsewhere.

If you are proficient at cycling and act responsibly on the bike why on earth would you be worried about the suggestions/possibility of law change?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm just so pleased we have an event like VeloSouth, next month.

On the morning of Sunday September 23, 2018, the world famous Goodwood Motor Circuit will welcome 15,000 cyclists onto its hallowed tarmac for the start of the first ever Vélo South – a major new 100 mile closed road sportive for the UK.

https://www.velosouth.com/the-ride/

Oh the luxury of being able to ride 100 miles around Sussex on roads that have been completely closed off to cars.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you are proficient at cycling and act responsibly on the bike why on earth would you be worried about the suggestions/possibility of law change?

I'm not, but irrespective of my proficiency or otherwise, on a bike, it still doesn't stop me for feeling truly vulnerable on the road, as the figures prove.
But the Tories believe they should be cracking down on dangerous cycling, whereas I believe the government (irrespective of party) should be doing everything it possibly can to encourage more cycling.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I'm not, but irrespective of my proficiency or otherwise, on a bike, it still doesn't stop me for feeling truly vulnerable on the road, as the figures prove.
But the Tories believe they should be cracking down on dangerous cycling, whereas I believe the government (irrespective of party) should be doing everything it possibly can to encourage more cycling.

I believe they should be doing both. Driving AND cycling.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

How is creating an offence of causing death by dangerous cycling discouraging more people from cycling?

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Anyway Stat don't think I am anti cyclist. I support my Uncle in his 80's who is winning senior competitive races. Fit as a fiddle too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How is creating an offence of causing death by dangerous cycling discouraging more people from cycling?

It's not, but the connotations of the tweet was hardly conducive to someone thinking 'you know what I'm going to get that old bike out the back of the shed'.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anyway Stat don't think I am anti cyclist. I support my Uncle in his 80's who is winning senior competitive races. Fit as a fiddle too.

TBH I'm more pro car than I am pro cyclist.
'We' need to be better because it'll be the cyclist who pays the price.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
It's not, but the connotations of the tweet was hardly conducive to someone thinking 'you know what I'm going to get that old bike out the back of the shed'.

Why not? Most normal people would expect said prospect cyclist to think. 'I am excited, I want to ride BUT, I have to obey road laws'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here