Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] "We're cracking down on dangerous cycling".

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We really don't help ourselves.

:facepalm: :tosser:

[tweet]1028937826719727616[/tweet]

SAC

May 21, 2014
Thankfully the cyclists v motorists mentality is mainly on the internet. Looking at the comments on here, on the BBC and on The Guardian websites and you would think there is a war going on. In fact, as a cyclist, I very rarely have any confrontations with anyone else although I find pedestrians walking out to be my biggest gripe and my only injury in the last few years was caused by a pedestrian.

I see both cyclists and motorists jump lights every day on my commute. I don't have a problem with either so long as they don't cause an accident or block my way.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I say this crackdown is long overdue. It is about time these non road-tax road users had a measure of control.
Of course it must not be limited to causing death. Dangerous cycling without care and attention should be penalised.

Absolutely! And while we're at it, we need to exert some control over all those non-smokers who use the NHS without paying a penny in cigarette tax. Freeloaders.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
There is no such thing as road tax it was abolished in 1937.

The tax from car owners goes straight into the central pot.

If you pay tax you pay for the roads irrespective of whether you own a car, bicycle or simply a pair of trainers.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What you mean one like the cycling without due care and attention law that currently exists?

Oh, you mean that one that the police have a policy of ignoring 99% of the time? ......and probably 99% of the remaining 1% aren't prosecuted because it's not in the public interest (which is PR speak for too much trouble/uses too much resources).

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh, you mean that one that the police have a policy of ignoring 99% of the time? ......and probably 99% of the remaining 1% aren't prosecuted because it's not in the public interest (which is PR speak for too much trouble/uses too much resources).

Maybe that's the answer the Tories are looking for:-

A law needs to be past enforcing law enforcement to act on the current laws.

Simple.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Maybe that's the answer the Tories are looking for:-

A law needs to be past enforcing law enforcement to act on the current laws.

Simple.
Sarcastic but maybe not a bad idea!

They could deal with cyclists on the pavements then...........................

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
If car drivers went through red lights, drove on the pavement, weaved in and out of traffic, rarely indicated or used lights, I'm sure they would kill more than 5 people a day.

You may well not do any of these things, but a lot of cyclists do.

And that's speaking as someone who cycles.

I see car drivers do this on a regular basis. I drive a car and cycle.

To put this into perspective I got run off of the road by a van last year and needed checking up in A&E. First question I was asked by the police. Were you wearing a helmet, not are you ok second question was were you wearing high vis clothes, third question was do you have lights on your bike and were they on (9am in august on a sunny day). Third question was are you hurt you should go to A&E. This was an accident not my fault. Now imagine if I had hit and killed a pedestrian now we are going to find any minor fault on your bike that doesnt require an MOT and then if it doesnt pass we will charge you under a trumped up victorian law because you are stupid and you are 18 years old. Meanwhile the promised revamp of all road traffic laws are continuing to be shelved because we dont give a shit.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Not sarcastic as I mean it, all the holier than thou on here about new laws is a little odd, anyone would think cyclists are above the law.

We're not

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

Along with car drivers that park in cycle lanes and motor cycles that drive in them. While we are at it we could do with a jay walking law by now because of the number of ****wits that just walk without looking with their heads buried in their phones across cycle lanes and across roads.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not sarcastic as I mean it, all the holier than thou on here about new laws is a little odd, anyone would think cyclists are above the law.

We're not

Fair enough then. I'm serious about removing cyclists from areas which are exclusively designed for pedestrians. As a cyclist myself for over 60 years (although not much these days, I admit) who does not ride on pavements, even at the slow speeds which are all I can manage these days, it stills narks me to see cyclists riding on the pavements. A narkability that increases by a factor of 10 if they've got headphones on and are on their mobile phone!

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

If you actually hurt someone they dont ignore it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fair enough then. I'm serious about removing cyclists from areas which are exclusively designed for pedestrians. As a cyclist myself for over 60 years (although not much these days, I admit) who does not ride on pavements, even at the slow speeds which are all I can manage these days, it stills narks me to see cyclists riding on the pavements. A narkability that increases by a factor of 10 if they've got headphones on and are on their mobile phone!

Yet the car drivers on this thread appear to be really narked about cyclists riding on the road. :shrug:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Along with car drivers that park in cycle lanes and motor cycles that drive in them. While we are at it we could do with a jay walking law by now because of the number of ****wits that just walk without looking with their heads buried in their phones across cycle lanes and across roads.

Interesting point. What exactly is the law about parking in a cycle lane? Take an ordinary street, with no specific parking restrictions, but with a cycle track about a metre or so wide on each side - it could cause absolute chaos if people started parking four feet out from the kerb......or would they then be breaking the law if they did so?

It just goes to show how pathetically inept local authorities are at thinking through the implementation of cycle lanes. They still seem to cling to the idiotic belief that painting a white bicycle on the ground constitutes a good viable cycle lane and solves a problem; it doesn't!

Last edited:

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Interesting point. What exactly is the law about parking in a cycle lane? Take an ordinary street, with no specific parking restrictions, but with a cycle track about a metre or so wide on each side - it could cause absolute chaos if people started parking four feet out from the kerb......or would they then be breaking the law if they did so.

It just goes to show how pathetically inept local authorities are at thinking through the implementation of cycle lanes. They still seem to cling to the idiotic belief that painting a white bicycle on the ground constitutes a good viable cycle lane and solves a problem; it doesn't!

Parking in a cycle lane with a solid line is supposed to be points on your licence even going into a broken line one for no good reason should also be the case but they are not enforcing it (the police say its the councils problem and vice versa). The same as they are not enforcing cyclists jumping red lights. The thing is if you kill someone then all bets are off you are up shit creek,

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I've got to be honest, as someone that lives in the countryside, cyclists are the bane of my life at weekends. Just yesterday I had 3 incidents of dangerous cycling that I encountered. All were entirely unavoidable and all were reckless with potentially awful consequences if the drivers/walkers hadn't reacted quickly to avoid the stupidity and recklessness of the cyclists.

The overwhelming arrogance of the cycling community, who seem to now believe they own the roads/footpaths/everywhere, needs to stop and harsher penalties for dangerous cycling absolutely do need to be in place.

Just three incidents? Count yourself lucky, from about Barnes railway station to Notting Hill I get about 5 incidents every minute, bloody idiots the lot of them.

Peteinblack

NSC Patreon
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
As neither a cyclist nor a car driver (I'm a life-long pedestrian and public transport pleb), can I just say this has been a delightful thread to read.

Lots of interesting observations, measured arguments, counter-arguments and calmly-presented points of view, and mostly expressed intelligently and with occasional humour or self-deprecation.

If only other topical and political debates could be conducted like this, instead of ending up as bin-fests and slanging matches.

NSC at its best.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As neither a cyclist nor a car driver (I'm a life-long pedestrian and public transport pleb), can I just say this has been a delightful thread to read.

Lots of interesting observations, measured arguments, counter-arguments and calmly-presented points of view, and mostly expressed intelligently and with occasional humour or self-deprecation.

If only other topical and political debates could be conducted like this, instead of ending up as bin-fests and slanging matches.

NSC at its best.

Oh, sorry about this :down:

Cows are statistically more deadly to walkers than cyclists are to pedestrians

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/...clists-pedestrians-391034#2eO7u1s5Jz0jAeec.99

It'll be the end of humanity if they ever learned to ride a bike.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here