Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] iphone - unlock from an icloud account

albionant

Aug 29, 2007
I've purchased an iphone from a local auction, I took a chance as it was so cheep.
Unfortunately it's stuck at the iCloud activation screen and linked to an iCloud account.
Has anybody been able to remove the iCloud account from an iphone?
There are a number of merchants online, I just don't know how legit they are.
Thanks

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
I'm not an iphone user (plenty on here are) but it looks straightforward enough from a quick google.

Which model of iphone is it? Later versions seem to be more secure

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Pretty sure you need the original password to leave. Not very good if it's not sold without it. Mind you I only found out when I sold one recently. Maybe the seller didn't know. Anyway of contacting them? They won't want you to be able to access their iCloud will they?

albionant

Aug 29, 2007
No idea who the original owner is as bought at an auction (I think it may 'british rail' lost property not claimed)
There are a number of companies online, but with the wisdom and experience of NSC its always worth an ask !

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
You could try Apple assist but they are security conscious, I don't know if they can help. Annoying.

bhafc1976

Apr 16, 2015
If you already have an apple/iCloud account on a computer you can put the phone in DFU mode and restore it as a new phone then during the set up process connect to your iCloud account to restore it from your back up. Google has loads of tutorials as the process can differ slightly depending on the model.

Sent from my VFD 620 using Tapatalk

albionant

Aug 29, 2007
Thanks for the advice but it didn't work, it still goes back to the activation lock screen, I think I'm left with an iphone paper weight !

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Boot it into DFU mode and restore it. I have to do this with non managed devices when users leave our company and don't clear their phones. Works a charm.

Different ways to get into DFU mode depending on what model it is. Google should help but it's usually holding down buttons while turning it off and on again. Phone needs to be done through iTunes on a mac/pc

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Boot it into DFU mode and restore it. I have to do this with non managed devices when users leave our company and don't clear their phones. Works a charm.

Different ways to get into DFU mode depending on what model it is. Google should help but it's usually holding down buttons while turning it off and on again. Phone needs to be done through iTunes on a mac/pc

You can no longer do this since IOS 7 if it's iCloud locked and will still get the activation screen after restoring. There is a way to get past the lock and to the home screen by changing the DNS, but it has to be done each time the phone is restarted and doesn't give full functionality.

It's an anti theft mechanism and designed so you can't just wipe/restore the phone.

Last edited:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
best bet is probably to buy a phone of the same model with a smashed screen off ebay and swap the guts.

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
As others have said a lot depends on the model of the iPhone - Apple should be able to 'unlock' it using IMEI/SERIAL number and they can be located on the back of the phone , in the sim tray depending on which model it is. If you can plug it into iTunes it should display the numbers on Summary details.

albionant

Aug 29, 2007
Apple wont unlock I tried at the store, have to write it off as a bad investment

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here