Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Conor Goldson take a bow

Noah All

Jan 2, 2018
The shed
I'm sure that everyone at the Albion wishes Connor all the best after everything he has gone through.
Personally I thought he could make it with us, but it wasn't to be.
It seems he has found his home at Rangers and good luck to him, it's great that he is making a success of it.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Third choice defender leaves, captains new club and scores on Home debut, whilst selling club loses. That’s standard stuff and one game doesn’t mean anything.

All the best to the lad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Oh come on. Goldson couldn’t get a look in over the last two seasons because Dunk and Duffy have been immense.
Well he did miss most of 2017 due to his heart issue.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Duffy is only a year older and still young for CB. He undoubtedly has something to offer- he can just be infuriatingly clumsy and lax at times. When he is good he is immense.

Duffy was seen as improving the more physical side of our defence AND has generally delivered. He had a bad patch last season but got over it. Goldson did not have or was perceived not to have that physical presence but looks a better footballer. I suspect there was more to it e.g. play me or sell me challenge which did not go down well.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
The only headed goal from corner I can remember last season, was Goldson v Palace in the cup.
I wish we'd kept him, I said it before he left. I rate him highly & he can improve too.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Well he did miss most of 2017 due to his heart issue.

He only missed the last 3 months of the 16/17 season and was back in pre season last year. Amazing work by the surgeons and the Albion coaching staff.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
True enough, but had he not had his unfortunate heart problem I still think he would have been hard pushed to displace Dunk or Duffy.
Yep. Still, I'd rather we'd loaned him out, than sold him.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Duffy was seen as improving the more physical side of our defence AND has generally delivered. He had a bad patch last season but got over it. Goldson did not have or was perceived not to have that physical presence but looks a better footballer. I suspect there was more to it e.g. play me or sell me challenge which did not go down well.

Or, very amicable and open discussions, followed by an equally amicable parting?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Or, very amicable and open discussions, followed by an equally amicable parting?

Very possibly but I can't believe we would let him go for the price unless something else was going on. Maybe Hughton did not rate him but can't see that. If we had loaned him to Rangers I am sure they would have been pleased and he would have got the game time which would have suited him and us. Why sell?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Very possibly but I can't believe we would let him go for the price unless something else was going on. Maybe Hughton did not rate him but can't see that. If we had loaned him to Rangers I am sure they would have been pleased and he would have got the game time which would have suited him and us. Why sell?

Did Conor ask for a full transfer, especially seeing (International) Balogun's signing? In his mid 20's, knowing it was time to start playing week in week out.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That would have been good, but in the end I think he wanted to leave to play on a regular basis. The Rangers offer was probably perfect for him.
Going out on loan to the Championship, or even Rangers, would have meant he played on a regular basis. Just like Chelsea etc do with their players.
I do wish him all the best though, fabulous bloke for us when he did play.
Indeed.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

054727F1-4AF8-4CC2-95B8-D13FC4D7C555.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here