Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Conor Goldson take a bow

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I fear we’re going to watch as Goldson becomes world class and moves on to a top European club despite everyone saying “It’s only the two-bit Scottish League”

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
I fear we’re going to watch as Goldson becomes world class and moves on to a top European club despite everyone saying “It’s only the two-bit Scottish League”
Would you be saying the same if he was doing this against L1 opposition today...?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is the Scottish Premiership on as good a level as the Championship? If so we all know Connor excels at that level it does not mean we have sold a world beater...imo.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

He's very good at this level - SPL or Championship - but I trust Chris Hughton's judgement of a defender in never having picked him in preference over Dunk or Duffy in 2 seasons of working with him 6 days a week. If he was ever going to develop into a world class player, he'd already be first choice at a PL club with MOTD and 5 Live pundits waxing lyrical about him every week.

el punal

Big mistake letting go , espically the way Duffy is playing , actually we gave him away

Oh come on. Goldson couldn’t get a look in over the last two seasons because Dunk and Duffy have been immense. So now you’re saying, with such incredible hindsight because Duffy has not been at his best, that we should have kept him? I seem to remember the same situation with Steve Cook when he went to Bournemouth. It happens, when you’ve got a surplus of good players vying for the same position that the unlucky ones will move on.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
He's very good at this level - SPL or Championship - but I trust Chris Hughton's judgement of a defender in never having picked him in preference over Dunk or Duffy in 2 seasons of working with him 6 days a week. If he was ever going to develop into a world class player, he'd already be first choice at a PL club with MOTD and 5 Live pundits waxing lyrical about him every week.

Never about Chris's judgement really. CG's situation was pretty unique. Major heart surgery, recovery and then a desperate desire to play - which the Albion could not give him. Also happened to be wanted by one of the biggest clubs in Britain (irrespective of the League) and managed by, and wanted by, a bona-fide playing legend. I know there's no room for sentiment in the football business but in this case a bit of it snuck in. Sure the club will have optioned a buy-back too.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Big mistake letting go , espically the way Duffy is playing , actually we gave him away

Connor needed to move to get a game. There is no way, on last seasons form, he was getting in before Dunk and Duffy and he knew that. At his age he needed game time not sitting on the bench hoping for loss of form or an injury. He wanted to go because he knew he wouldn’t get in here. He is currently doing very well in a substandard league. He is a very good player but time will tell if he is a great player. Had Rangers not of come in for him he would have ended up somewhere like Ipswich or QPR in the championship and we would have got no more money than we did.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Never about Chris's judgement really. CG's situation was pretty unique. Major heart surgery, recovery and then a desperate desire to play - which the Albion could not give him. Also happened to be wanted by one of the biggest clubs in Britain (irrespective of the League) and managed by, and wanted by, a bona-fide playing legend. I know there's no room for sentiment in the football business but in this case a bit of it snuck in. Sure the club will have optioned a buy-back too.

It was CH's judgement to bring Duffy in as our most expensive signing (at the time) in the August '16 window to replace Goldson. Even before the heart surgery, once Duffy signed he was 3rd choice and only played 2 league games when Dunk was suspended for yellow card accumulation.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Personally I remain unconvinced Connor would have been a world beater at this level, but better than Duffy?!? there's the rub! I would have loaned him to Rangers, as he clearly wanted to play for his hero Stevie G, and see how he got on... on current performances we may have recalled (if an option) or welcomed him back with open arms for our opener in the championship...

Only joking re the last point (#wankerbantz), but I failed to see the tangible benefit to us from this deal... a buy back is a possibility I suppose, but a loan secures our asset... strange decision to cut ties entirely.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
The SPL is rubbish, because we lost yesterday and Rangers won and Goldson scored the SPL is now great?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The SPL is rubbish, because we lost yesterday and Rangers won and Goldson scored the SPL is now great?

Yeah, its not great..... but our transfer business revolves around buying standout players from lesser leagues or lesser teams in the bigger leagues.... someone like Goldson, had he not been ours, would have certainly been on the radar of our recruitment team right now. We have spent all summer pursuing defenders from the championship after all.

None of which of course changes the fact that he would be third choice for us, and wants to play... I still think that, while Duffy was probably a better option in the championship, Goldson would do better in the prem

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Goldson has bags of potential and will go onto great things eventually.The problem here Is hooten doesn't rotate the squad enough and it's very frustrating for players stuck on the bench for 80 mins at least or barely getting a look in at all.

Good luck to the lad :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here