Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Conor Goldson take a bow

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Nobody else in the Premier League wanted him and he has never been a Premier League player.

If he is truly exceptional at Rangers a Premier League club may take a punt on him to see whether he will make the grade. There is sufficient money around to make Rangers an offer they cannot refuse.

Jamie Murphy starts for Rangers and well... he would not be on the bench for us or likely any Premier League team.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Balogun will be a regular starter IMO sooner or later. No a slight on Duffy, but Balogun has different CB attributes.

Agreed. Said he whe he signed. He is much more complimentary to Dunk than Duffy is. Would make us stronger overall defensively.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Good luck to him after a near career ending operation.
I think he is better than Duffy, but what I think doesn't matter.
Will be player of the season for Rangers I expect.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
He's gone, he's not our player anymore!

Yeah yeah yeah. But .... In the same way we always followed Bobby's career (I don't have to state his surname, you know who I mean) he will always be 'our' player. Time will tell whether he becomes a great player or not, but I for one will follow his career and I hope he's extremely successful.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yeah yeah yeah. But .... In the same way we always followed Bobby's career (I don't have to state his surname, you know who I mean) he will always be 'our' player. Time will tell whether he becomes a great player or not, but I for one will follow his career and I hope he's extremely successful.

Good post.

I also kept tabs on the post Albion careers of El Abd, Barnes & E.Bennett, and was pleased they made a success of it.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i for one am disappointed for him i think he would have matured into a very good CB ....so level headed and was able to head the ball without looking like a migrating salmon with epilepsy..........i wish him a long and rewarding career..... i hope we have a buy back clause .

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

9030E48F-EE44-41E5-8A12-F449200233B8.png

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Should never have sold him, I said so at the time and now I see him thriving as he was always going to.

And for £3m. What a stupid amount to sell a great player for, the utter idiots.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Should never have sold him, I said so at the time and now I see him thriving as he was always going to.

Thriving against the mighty St Mirren. Where do you rate them in English league level out of interest?

I don’t think anyone is denying Goldson is a talent, but is he a Premier League talent ?

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
end of the day ... he wanted game time and wasn't going to get it by the looks of things so he made a personal choice to move when given the chance , cant blame the guy for being a bit selfish and looking after no.1 though loyalty by the club with his heart condition doesn't look like it got repaid

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Thriving against the mighty St Mirren. Where do you rate them in English league level out of interest?

I don’t think anyone is denying Goldson is a talent, but is he a Premier League talent ?

A PL talent? Well, we don't have any concrete evidence either way, do we.

Rangers weren't the only club interested (so CG said) and maybe we could have got a little bit more for him - but probably not from Ranges, who are really pretty skint. However, Rangers is proving to be a great move for Goldson, and the one he wanted - maybe, just maybe, the club acted partly in Goldson's interest rather than purely financial considerations. We did, after all, make a profit (if you don't include wages) on him.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

£3m is just nuts, Rangers got themselves a bargain

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Loving how so many are saying we let him go far too cheaply when the club seem to handle most transfer business pretty effectively and commercially...........what significantly higher offers did we get for him ? He'll have gone for around his market value - basically what someone is prepared to pay. Sure if someone had offered £10m for a player with virtually no PL experience we wouldn't have let him go to Rangers for £m
-he clearly wanted to be starting (hardly surprising after his heart issue), and we weren't going to be able to offer him that as things stand with CH clearly favouring D&D
-he's hardly played at all in 2 years, yet is somehow now PL standard based on a couple of decent games for us and a good start in a league that's equivalent to League 1 ?
-he's playing for his boyhood hero

I love the bloke and wish him every success, but cold reality is he's untested at PL level and played very little football in 2 seasons so I don't think the price looks too wrong. I'd hope we at least have a sell-on clause in case her turns out to be the next VVD though

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Think the PL madness has gone to our heads after only 1 season. 3m is our second biggest transfer fee ever, isn’t it? And for a player that we bought for about 500k and who the manger didn’t see as a first choice.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Loving how so many are saying we let him go far too cheaply when the club seem to handle most transfer business pretty effectively and commercially...........

Yeah, Locadia was a bargain at 13m.

Bottom line for me is that Conor is quality, proved that with us. You're happy with 3m, I am not.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here