Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How’s Everyone’s Mood Today?

el punal

The dismantling of the old guard, after one defeat, are you mad? Yes we lost a football match, big deal, we will lose many more this season too, but this is a war we are fighting, not just one battle. Drip feeding these new signings into the side is the answer, not throwing them in en masse.. This season won't be any easier than the last, we have to be realistic.

Did you go to the game yesterday? If you did then you too would have been filled with despair at what the team were producing - or not. Yes, maybe my comments were a bit of an emotional, knee jerk reaction but when I referred to dismantling the old guard I’m talking about a phased process. The evidence is clear that certain players are struggling either from loss of form or simply not good enough to cope with the rigours of Premier League football. Maybe the injection of new blood into the team will transform our fortunes, and performances.

What ever is the solution I hope it’s found sooner rather than later.

el punal

We will really struggle to get going with an inherently cautious mindset. Sometimes you have to gamble, throw caution to the wind, accept you are going to lose some games and try and nick a few surprise points. Palace got themselves out of a deep hole last season by being positive.
It is down to the manager. We all hoped that he would adopt a more positive approach away from home. He reverted to type yesterday and it resulted in a shambolic performance. It is the wrong mindset to talk about ' Fortress Amex ' and piling up home points. It breeds complacency amongst players. We can all see those who are ' homers ' and fail to deliver away. He has to rethink his strategy. Watford rolled us over so easily it makes you shudder to think how few away points who are going to get, if we continue in this mindset.
If the manager cannot change, then we have to consider changing the manager.

Perhaps, after yesterday’s no show, that things will change on our away trips. Well, they couldn’t get any worse.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Watford played very well, but I expected that we would be good enough to hope for a draw away from home. Sadly, we were shit. Bit moody this morning.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I am beginning to think that Goldson going is as big a clanger as letting Murray go first time around. We shall see.

I agree, I thought this could have been his breakthrough season. Time to start Balogun definitely. I know Duffy makes a lot of clearances, but the same as when he is heading for goal at the other end, his clearances can go anywhere. Dunk picks out one of our players much more regularly and has the technique and poise to bring the ball down and pass it out when possible. I don't think Duffy is a bad player at all and he obviously has a good relationship with Dunk, but he definitely lacks that bit of class that I think Goldson and hopefully Balogun have.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
I don't feel anything. The players didn't look like they gave a toss so why should I? Got what we deserved.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Flat, and a bit worried. Winless and 4 points out of 42 away, worst away performance since West Brom.

At least Cardiff, Hudds, Fulham and Newcastle all lost too, and we do have 5 good attacking options that didn't start yesterday.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I am beginning to think that Goldson going is as big a clanger as letting Murray go first time around. We shall see.

I have always thought this too.

I have also thought that the probability is that Cardiff Huddersfield and is will be in a relegation fight - with others obviously. Will be a hard season and will depend on the new guys settling in.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
With all of the new signings and the hype surrounding them I was quite confident going into the new season. Watching that load of shite yesterday has destroyed my optimism. Nothing appears to have been learned from last season away from home. Another no shots on target performance, another goal conceded from a corner. I'm feeling as grumpy today as I did leaving the ground yesterday.

There needs to be a lot more desire to win away games and that starts with the manager and coaches.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Did you go to the game yesterday? If you did then you too would have been filled with despair at what the team were producing - or not. Yes, maybe my comments were a bit of an emotional, knee jerk reaction but when I referred to dismantling the old guard I’m talking about a phased process. The evidence is clear that certain players are struggling either from loss of form or simply not good enough to cope with the rigours of Premier League football. Maybe the injection of new blood into the team will transform our fortunes, and performances.

What ever is the solution I hope it’s found sooner rather than later.

I know that getting away to a good start and putting points on the board early is important, especially considering who ur next two opponents are,and l know that we were pretty woeful yesterday, but I still say it is onlyl one game, and far far too early to start panicking or talking about games being six pointers.six ointers .It is a long season.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
One league result this early does not matter. We are just one win away from feeling optimistic again.

What matters is form. After 5 games if we still are without a win, then we should be very worried. 10 games without a win, and even Hughton's job could be under threat.

I'm fully confident that our form will be decent after 5, 10 games. Just one blip - I think we can be glad it happened now, rather than affecting future good runs.

Have you glanced at the fixture list? Can’t see many points coming our way for a while. The question is how we lift ourselves from bottom spot when the “easier” games come along. Really important that the team have belief to do that, as we are in for a bad start, it was always going to be the case with that fixture list. Would have liked a point on the board from yesterday ahead of the hard run though.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
With all of the new signings and the hype surrounding them I was quite confident going into the new season. Watching that load of shite yesterday has destroyed my optimism. Nothing appears to have been learned from last season away from home. Another no shots on target performance, another goal conceded from a corner. I'm feeling as grumpy today as I did leaving the ground yesterday.

There needs to be a lot more desire to win away games and that starts with the manager and coaches.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yet Chris, said: "We saw this as out first opportunity to win away from home... and we didn't." Roughly translated: "this is a game we thought we could compete in, away to Liverpool we will set up as an exercise in damage limitation as we can't possibly win there... or anywhere against teams in the top 10."

This is the manager's mindset, he said so a few times last season, making comments about where we can compete and where we can't. The whole away strategy is set up to be hard to beat, not to win and therein lies the rub... a defeatist attitude on the road against half the league putting even more pressure on those away games where he thinks we can win. It's a psychological nightmare...

Last edited:

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
We will get some great results against the big teams, just like last season. We'll lose games against the worst sides, just like last season.

Take each game as it comes. We'll be fine, hopefully we'll even do well.

Really hope you are right, but beating the top 6 end of season is easier than just now, but as you say those results do happen.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Couldnt even bring myself to watch the recorded MoD. Deleted it from the box and decided to brush yesterday under the carpet.
Going to stuff Man U.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Thing is, we are a funny old team.
After Leicester away last season I thought we were absolutely screwed. We were organised in a way in which there was no prospect of us scoring goals, basically. Too slow, too negative and error-prone. Similar to yesterday.
But last season we bounced back against West Brom (?) - Gross looked lethal, defence solid, midfield looked well-tuned. Completely different.
So while yesterday was dire, we have proved we have it In us to suddenly perform way way better. I wonder if a lot of it comes down to gross. From game to game he can go from highly influential world beater to Completely anonymous.

That's it in a nutshell. We've had terrible away games, like Rotherham and Cardiff away a couple of years ago, with Huddersfield & Leicester as examples of last season. We weren't outclassed, we were just abysmal at all the aforementioned games. It happens.

Kipling said it best.
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;

We'll bounce back.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I still feel very disappointed. After 3 years of cautious away performances (a tactic which admittedly worked in the Championship), I hoped Hughton would turn over a new leaf but it was the same old negative rubbish.
At the end of the day, it was almost the same squad we’ve had for the last 3 years. I think things will change once we introduce PACE into the team in the form of Bissouma, Alireza & the returning Izquierdo

bobbab5

Sep 5, 2003
Ely, Cambs.
From the looks of it, it seems West Ham may be as shite as they were last season and they started 4 of their new signings!
But then, it's only one game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here