Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How’s Everyone’s Mood Today?

el punal

After that woeful performance at Watford yesterday I came out of the ground feeling thoroughly depressed and disappointed. I was trying desperately hard to think of any positives that I could glean from that game of hell - one, maybe, the introduction of our two new boys Bissouma and Jahanbakhsh.

Today I feel a bit more optimistic. Just their brief showing yesterday, and with the other new recruits, makes me believe that we can change things for the better, even if means the dismantling of the ‘old guard’. I have a feeling that Chris Hughton, after that offering, might just move from his normal position of caution to being ruthless in culling some our established players.

So maybe that game yesterday, shit as it was, is a blessing in disguise in that it has shown all our blemishes in 90 minutes. Rectify those quickly and we could be back on track - I do hope so.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Pragmatic.

If we play that way and that system, we shall struggle.

Plenty of time to change.

March needs to adapt and quickly, we have him and Izzy (when fit) who both seem unwilling/unable to take a player on.

We were pedestrian and predictable.

Roll on next week.

Hugo Rune

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Playing 4 of the top 6 on our first 7 games means bedding in new players could be tough.

I’m expecting our 1st points on the 1st September, anything else would be a massive bonus.

I still believe we had an excellent window and will do better than last year - we just need to wait till October before we really get going.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
I wet the bed last night.

Pretty sure we’re going down this season and can’t help but think our horrendious kits are to blame.

Waiting for Only Alireza to save the day.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
The most worrying aspect for me is that the rhetoric we’ve heard during pre-season is the need to build on the solid foundations of last season. Well, yesterday we appeared to have forgotten all of the basics that we did so well last season. Really poor defensive positioning, communication didn’t seem to be there and there was a real lack of urgency.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Disappointed with how we started, was a huge lack of urgency from the players and for long periods we looked like strangers.

However, were some positives to be taken, Bissouma looked exactly what we need and AJ looked good (albeit briefly)

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I get the feeling we were undercooked in pre-season probably because CH thought we were tired from the previous season. They were absolutely trained to be at a peak for the beginning of the season. That would make a world of difference on the pitch.

We will get better while they won't be able to sustain that level over the season. Think Huddersfield last year.

It's a marathon.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I've got a few things off my chest, so I'm starting to reflect with a modicum of positivity... time to draw a line and all that. This year will undoubtedly be a battle royal to stay up, make no mistake. We need a result of any kind against utd, not as it'll define anything, but moreover will help repair the damage done yesterday. Chris seemed perplexed with things post match, almost shocked by what he'd seen... I think he'll be watching the tapes of that game, and making some tough calls this week, not because we are all clamouring for it but because the facts were/are undeniable even to one as trusting and loyal as CH.

I remain convinced we need genuine change out there, and I suspect Chris may well agree when he reviews what we bore witness to yesterday.

Let's move on and get it right next time :)

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
It was absolutely dreadful, I’m still really concerned. No positives at all apart from....

Bissouma showed that he is going to become a top player.
Great attitude, pace, work ethic and real skill.
After yesterday, I hope he didn’t think, what the hell am I doing here?

Ali J was ok

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
"I have a feeling that Chris Hughton, after that offering, might just move from his normal position of caution to being ruthless in culling some our established players."

I'd love to think this could happen but for all CH's attributes he is very much a creature of habit. As much as I'd like to see some changes to the line up next week I suspect the only change he'll make will be at right back. He's so conservative and not a risk taker and with Man Utd coming I suspect it will be a largely defensive set up.

I'd love him to go with Bissouma and AJ from the start but suspect that might be wishful thinking.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Well after fast forwarding through Mr Jug Ears, Mr Snore and Mr Wright, I've viewed all the other teams highlights and wonder why we do not show a little more ambition in the attacking department.
It was only the first game yesterday, need to show more fight against Manure and Liverpool, otherwise we're in Palarse territory and a nine point deficit!
Still think we'll stay up. :albion2:

Last edited:

Hazwaz

Jul 23, 2012
Hove
Not enough pace in the team we put out to counter attack, (against a quick mobile team )
,But play Bernadno and Montonya with Bissouma in the middle using their quick feet and pace, Balgogun to bring the ball forward.Plenty of good players just need get them together the field to gel and work as a team

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
thinking positive ... things can only get better .... or maybe thats things cant get any worse

still of the opinion that Duffy has not been the same since the world cup play offs and is now more a liability than a reliable performer
even last season despite his top scoring I was never convinced Murray would be enough and lead the line with the lack of pace and constant off sides
actually thought we may change from 4 4 1 1 to a more balanced 4 1 4 1 for away games with a more solid fluid midfield and that may still happen

still think we will come good IF we can get a striker who isnt Murray or Hemed with pace scoring regularly and the wingers actually do some winging it down to the by line

going to be tough with ManU and then Liverpuddle away and we need to get our first point/points from one of them two to inspire everyone

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Fine. It was a reassuringly awful performance and it just reminded me why I'm happier supporting us than a team that wins easily every week. It'll just make the glorious victories to come this season all the sweeter.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
"I have a feeling that Chris Hughton, after that offering, might just move from his normal position of caution to being ruthless in culling some our established players."

I'd love to think this could happen but for all CH's attributes he is very much a creature of habit. As much as I'd like to see some changes to the line up next week I suspect the only change he'll make will be at right back. He's so conservative and not a risk taker and with Man Utd coming I suspect it will be a largely defensive set up.

I'd love him to go with Bissouma and AJ from the start but suspect that might be wishful thinking.

Agree. I would add in Balogun for Duffy. Time to go from plodding to testing the opposition.:flypig:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The MOTD clip wasn't as horrible as I was expecting but the defending for their second goal was horrible - the new guy stopped tracking back and the CB (looked like Duffy) was asleep and failed to do the usual kamikazi dive in front of the ball. CH's team selection was no surprise to any of us, and we all know that he won't change any more than two for the start next week. I am hoping in a few months we'll be content that the new players have been bedded in sensibly and the decison to not panic and change 5 or 6 after one bad game is vindicated.......

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I've got a few things off my chest, so I'm starting to reflect with a modicum of positivity... time to draw a line and all that. This year will undoubtedly be a battle royal to stay up, make no mistake. We need a result of any kind against utd, not as it'll define anything, but moreover will help repair the damage done yesterday. Chris seemed perplexed with things post match, almost shocked by what he'd seen... I think he'll be watching the tapes of that game, and making some tough calls this week, not because we are all clamouring for it but because the facts were/are undeniable even to one as trusting and loyal as CH.

I remain convinced we need genuine change out there, and I suspect Chris may well agree when he reviews what we bore witness to yesterday.

Let's move on and get it right next time :)

Don't hold your breath. CH's biggest strength is his loyalty and commitment to a system and the players who fit into it e.g. our home form last year. Unfortunately this is also his biggest weakness in that he doesn't adapt to changing/different circumstances well, either in the moment or on a longer term basis e.g. our away form last year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here