Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Changing The System

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Bottom one? Absolutely not (but to be fair not really seen enough of Balogun to comment).
If Balogun is genuinely better I am sure he'll get in the team eventually but to me Duffy has been brilliant since we've signed him and on Saturday was certainly not the weak link.

Second goal was mostly his fault. Too slow in seeing the danger. Two or three times Foster punted the ball forward and we were struggling for pace at the back. He is a good ol head it and boot it defender but is starting to be found out at this level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I'm sure if Balogun will get a go if he's good enough and Hughton thinks he is a better than Duffy.
I also think there is something to be said for defenders like Duffy who can defend - Lots of defenders in the Prem who are good on the ball but cannot do the basics.

Disagree entirely. I think smart ball playing defenders who can do the basics well are entirely the future - Balogun appears to be this type of player.

Second goal was mostly his fault. Too slow in seeing the danger. Two or three times Foster punted the ball forward and we were struggling for pace at the back. He is a good ol head it and boot it defender but is starting to be found out at this level.

Quite. Great as a squad player but this season is about progression

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Disagree entirely. I think smart ball playing defenders who can do the basics well are entirely the future - Balogun appears to be this type.

Rangers fans too now seem to have found they've got one of those........................

Pains me to say I can agree with Rangers' supporters about anythiing, but..................................

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
You cannot play Murray away from home. He has no pace and if you relying on counter attacks and pace to hurt the opposition, then what the point. I would have thought this was obvious...But then, that said. We haven't got any strikers. Plenty of defenders and midfielders and keepers. Just no strikers, who happen to do the most important job in football.

But when he came on against Burnley away we actually looked dangerous... Maybe the problem is how we play him, the others need to get closer to him so he is not isolated and our wingers need to deliver decent crosses. Murray will put them in IF he gets the service.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Have to agree to disagree then because for the majority of last season I thought he was outstanding. His partnership with Dunk was immense and one of the main reasons we stayed up imho

He did have a bad spell running at least 12 games. Not all very bad but not the form he started with and it was noticeable especially compared to Dunk. Goldson should have had more game time at his expense or until he showed he could not deliver at this level.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
He did have a bad spell running at least 12 games. Not all very bad but not the form he started with and it was noticeable especially compared to Dunk. Goldson should have had more game time at his expense or until he showed he could not deliver at this level.

Disagree entirely. He was poor vs Huddersfield and like all players had some games not as good as others but he was not "bad" for nearly a 3rd of the season. His partnership with Dunk was one of the main reasons we stayed up.

I also think people look at Goldson through rose tinted glasses. I liked him and wish he could have stayed but Duffy was a huge improvement when we signed him and one of the reasons we went up automatically. Goldson was good in some games last season but was very poor in others (eg league cup) - yet people only seem to remember the good games whereas with Duffy for some reason they only remember the bad!

Agree with [MENTION=27836]Barham's tash[/MENTION] that we need progression and if we sign better they should play - but that goes for EVERY position on the park and I'm not getting why Duffy is being made a scapegoat after one game when there were far worse players on Saturday.

If Balogun is better (and I hope he is) then he should play - but I think a lot of people are being very harsh on Duffy for no apparent reason. ("starting to be found to at this level" after 1 game this season? Didn't see quotes like that when he helped keep a clean sheet vs Man Utd)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot believe or understand all this criticism of Duffy he is and has been one of our best defenders and is streets ahead of Goldson in all round ability at the moment which is why Goldfson didn't get in the side and wanted to leave. Goldson has great potential but he hasn't reached his peak is not there yet and not as good as Duffy and Dunk. He will obviously look good in an inferior league against generally poor teams. Having said that when he stepped into the side he didn't let us down very often but the nor has Duffy and like everybody else is subject to making a mistake.. which sometimes proves costly.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Yeah, like it. Don't think Bernardo looks like his has the attributes for WB.
I've often though Gross might do well as a right wing back, though lacks a little pace certainly makes up with it in workrate and crossing.

Ryan
Balogun Duffy Dunk
Montoya Bernardo (?)
Gross Stephens Bissouma
Andone Locadia

Looks like a team that is a) solid and b) likely to create a little more away from home.

EDIT: Might March be better as a wing back?
March shouldn't be anywhere near the 1st team right now. He looks totally lost and has done for a while now. He must train really well to get picked. He wasn't alone in having a stinker...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I cannot believe or understand all this criticism of Duffy he is and has been one of our best defenders and is streets ahead of Goldson in all round ability at the moment which is why Goldfson didn't get in the side and wanted to leave. Goldson has great potential but he hasn't reached his peak is not there yet and not as good as Duffy and Dunk. He will obviously look good in an inferior league against generally poor teams. Having said that when he stepped into the side he didn't let us down very often but the nor has Duffy and like everybody else is subject to making a mistake.. which sometimes proves costly.

Duffy wasn't great on Saturday. Gave the ball away a fair bit and was caught out of position. I think the general team malaise may have actually came from the poor performance of Dunk and Duffy in the first half. However was their problem caused by lack of cover from midfield ? Stephens and Propper played like strangers and in my opinion were too far apart to be an effective partnership. That though could have been a consequence of having to win the ball back when Knockeart and March gave it away. The point I am making is that it is extremely difficult to apportion blame in a clear cut way.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Duffy wasn't great on Saturday. Gave the ball away a fair bit and was caught out of position. I think the general team malaise may have actually came from the poor performance of Dunk and Duffy in the first half. However was their problem caused by lack of cover from midfield ? Stephens and Propper played like strangers and in my opinion were too far apart to be an effective partnership. That though could have been a consequence of having to win the ball back when Knockeart and March gave it away. The point I am making is that it is extremely difficult to apportion blame in a clear cut way.

I wouldnt argue with that a bad performance all round and difficult to know where to start to remedy it but as we know CH will not make wholesale changes.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

I absolutely categorically disagree with that. Goldson is a better ball player than Duffy, has more pace, often better anticipation, and is a more versatile defender; where he is probably slightly less able than Duffy is a) in the air and b) being an aggressive front foot defender who attacks everything (albeit I can't honestly remember seeing him struggle in this regard). Unfortunately for Goldson, he's very much a less experienced version of Dunk and Hughton clearly wanted a player next to his covering defender (Dunk/Goldson) who would aggressively attack everything in the air and allow the defensive partner to sweep in behind.

Dunk's class covered up a lot of Duffy's mistakes last season, as did a deep defensive line and a lot of midfield cover. A more offensive formation, with a higher line (which is what you would ultimately need to move towards to progress) would, I imagine, cause Duffy a lot of issues, as it did on Saturday.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I absolutely categorically disagree with that. Goldson is a better ball player than Duffy, has more pace, often better anticipation, and is a more versatile defender; where he is probably slightly less able than Duffy is a) in the air and b) being an aggressive front foot defender who attacks everything (albeit I can't honestly remember seeing him struggle in this regard). Unfortunately for Goldson, he's very much a less experienced version of Dunk and Hughton clearly wanted a player next to his covering defender (Dunk/Goldson) who would aggressively attack everything in the air and allow the defensive partner to sweep in behind.

Dunk's class covered up a lot of Duffy's mistakes last season, as did a deep defensive line and a lot of midfield cover. A more offensive formation, with a higher line (which is what you would ultimately need to move towards to progress) would, I imagine, cause Duffy a lot of issues, as it did on Saturday.

We all have our own opinions and I disagree with your analysis of Goldson as I think that he is no better than Duffy at most of the points that you state.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I think the only correct point that you make is he is quicker than Duffy the rest I dont agree with and think that Duffy is as good if not better than Goldson on all points.

Correct? Based on what? Your opinion?

Honestly, I get that you post a lot on here, but you almost never post anything with any substance. Please, put forward an actual footballing/tactical discussion point that may actually counteract what I've said?

I mean no-one is doubting that Duffy suits what CH wants from one of his CBs, and I'm not doubting he's an excellent stats defender that makes a lot of clearances and heads the ball away a lot (predominantly to the opposition), but where is the proof that Duffy is actually a more rounded CB than Goldson? What tactical argument is there for that?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
The clincher with Duffy is that, consistently, throughout last season he was immense partnered with Dunk. The pair of them are very hard to get past and Duffy, whilst not being especially good with the ball at his feet managed to get himself in the way of attackers game after game.

I don’t think that he has shown himself to be a particularly skilful or savvy player, he’s prone to acts of incredible stupidity and borderline violence but I’d guarantee that opposition forwards hate playing against him and, Surely, that’s what we need.

Goldson is a very attractive player, shows intelligence and decisiveness but suffered from a lack of game time when he was played he looked great but not terrifying like Duffy.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Correct? Based on what? Your opinion?

Honestly, I get that you post a lot on here, but you almost never post anything with any substance. Please, put forward an actual footballing/tactical discussion point that may actually counteract what I've said?

I mean no-one is doubting that Duffy suits what CH wants from one of his CBs, and I'm not doubting he's an excellent stats defender that makes a lot of clearances and heads the ball away a lot (predominantly to the opposition), but where is the proof that Duffy is actually a more rounded CB than Goldson? What tactical argument is there for that?

There is no tactical argument to back MY OPINION. as there is no factual tactical argument to back YOUR OPINION. i agree that Goldson is quicker than Duffy but that is where the comparison between the two stops as Duffy wins on all other points.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
There is no tactical argument to back MY OPINION. as there is no factual tactical argument to back YOUR OPINION. i agree that Goldson is quicker than Duffy but that is where the comparison between the two stops as Duffy wins on all other points.

Goldson is far better footballer imo, more intelligent, knows how to header the ball. Duffy wins headers but has not a clue where they go apart from to the opposition with great frequency. Goldson knows how to get headers on target at corners, a big plus.

A huge loss if you ask me.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that Goldson is a poor man Dunk and not comparable in anyway with Duffy but it is about opinions and the only one that matters is CH, hence some manager are successful at our level and some like Pardew are not.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here