Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player Ratings vs Watford

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Nail on the head from Hughton he summed it up the players know the system. This is the system that has us as the worse team in the EPL away from home. Perhaps Chris you are to blame. How about changing the system and some of the players.

Absolutely this. I hate to slate CH, but as soon as I saw the line up, I was 99% sure of the outcome. As I'm sure many others were. We desperately need to change it up away from home. It didn't work last season with these players, why oh why did we start with it this season?! And to not change it up at half time was very poor IMO.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Liverpool are in a different league, the whole team got thrashed. It would be nice to think a lesson was learned.
Murray relies on playing his luck for breaks and winning free kicks by backing in to defenders, and the odd header from, granted, good positioning. ( but only when a quality cross is delivered on a plate -gross) Every PL manager and player knows this already, and he's a yard per second slower already. That is not PL standard now.

Murray's vital goals kept us up last year. Without them we'd gone down, bottom. A class act, you can't learn that and luck had nothing to do with it. A winner.

Yes, he's probably near to the end now. That's not his fault, simpy that time has caught up with him. It's the club's responsibility to find and play suitable PL class replacements for Murray.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Murray's vital goals kept us up last year. Without them we'd gone down, bottom. A class act, you can't learn that and luck had nothing to do with it. A winner.

Yes, he's probably near to the end now. That's not his fault, simpy that time has caught up with him. It's the club's responsibility to find and play suitable PL class replacements for Murray.

This is the reason why CH must be thinking about a change in style- we made no attempt to replace Murray in the summer. We now have a team of number 10s and wingers.

richinlondon

Jul 2, 2009
North London
Poor showing today. Watford clearly more committed, faster, stronger and more streetwise.
Ryan made a couple of good saves, but his distribution was poor, not helped by lack of targets for clearances. Dunk was forced into too many long balls, mainly because the midfield was missing. Bong did a satisfactory job without standing out. Apart from that the other starters were all off the pace and trying to be a bit too clever instead of making sure the basics were done properly. Bernardo has potential, but is way short of the nous required for this league, and Alireza too is far to soft as yet. Bissouma will be an asset, and needs to start, but will need to learn he can't do it all...it is a team game. The system with 2 in midfield is not going to work this year, width from the fullbacks will have to do, and 3 in midfield. As we have no old fashioned centre forward to do the job, Glenn past his sell by unfofullback, a change of emphasis to faster and more mobile forwards will be needed.
A disappointing day out, but I hope our Chris learns from today and uses his new players to develop the system as quickly as possible

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Not a whinge post but we were shite all over the pitch! Bissouma and 'AJ' looked promising and lit the team up almost instantly. I think it was evident to see some obvious holes in the team today. As much as I love Bruno and Murray I think they will have to take more of a back seat this season. Expecting Murray to play the lone striker role at his age is asking far too much in the PL in my opinion. He's not best suited to that role at the best of times (usually offside more than not last season)

Solly March still doesn't look up to the PL and seems void of any confidence to take anyone on or swing in a decent ball. Hopefully the new signings will help fix some of this, today was a wake up call and glad we got it early. CH isn't silly and I think he will spend the weekend having a long hard think about the way forward.

Hats off to Watford though. They did play well very well today (compared to last season anyway) and seemed right up for it. We looked sloppy and were 2nd best to nearly every header or pass.

Last edited:

Lewes Punk

Feb 11, 2018
Funny how Stephens always divides opinion. He wasn't great today but I thought he was easily our best player (apart from Bissouma's cameo). Propper and Gros were right off form and without Dale playing half-decently it would have been much worse.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Solly March was so disappointing again and needs to be loaned out or something - it's just not working for him here..

I just wonder if he is weighed down by the competition for players now with the extra quality brought in, and is trying too hard and not being relaxed, thereby being unable to play his natural game.

That said agree with a 3 for today

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
March : I’m not picking on the lad because he works hard and is a good player but he is not Premier quality by some considerable distance. We have alternatives now who may not be totally atuned to Chris’s way but they may actually pose a threat. Watford knew we were toothless after 15 minutes today.

happyseagull

Dec 15, 2008
Loughborough
What’s the point of playing that team that we had out today, I saw us at Birmingham and we were poor, only bright light was Bissouma on that miserable afternoon in Brum..whilst one could admire the loyalty shown by Chris to the team that stayed up last season we also need to move on...team for next game should be...

Ryan
Montoya
Dunk
Balogun
Dr Banardo

Jankybashy
Bissouma
Stephens
Izquierdo (Knocky if Izqui not fit)

Gross
Locadia or Andone blokey or whatever he’s called

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I just wonder if he is weighed down by the competition for players now with the extra quality brought in, and is trying too hard and not being relaxed, thereby being unable to play his natural game.

I thought I saw a slight improvement at one time during the game. Not enough to compete on the day. Janmaat was even getting into our penalty area on more than one occasion with the ball.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1284749/Live/England-Premier-League-2018-2019-Watford-Brighton

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Let’s hope this acts as a kick up the backside for any of the players who were thinking that they were now established Premier League players. Stoke and West Brom probably thought the same this time last year, so maybe an early wake-up call is the best thing that could have happened. I think Hughton will give most of the starting eleven a chance to redeem themselves against Manchester United but may have to give Montoya his debut - which may not be a bad thing.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Hughton gave the players who had done so well last season a chance to shine and they failed to take it. Nobody in the team yesterday with the exception of Ryan, Dunk and Bissouma can complain if they find themselves dropped for the Man U game. Yesterday's game also highlighted how important Izquierdo is to our team, hopefully he will be back next Sunday.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Hughton summed it up today:

“I have no complaints with the result. I thought we lost to the better side in most departments. There are no excuses, the players who played today know the system well. This could well prove to be an even more damaging defeat come the end of September, with four of Brighton’s next six games against last season’s top four. We knew that before today. We don’t go into any game thinking we have to work less hard to get a result, but this was our first opportunity, especially away from home, to win a game and we didn’t.”

That's a pretty blunt and damning statement by Hughton's standards. I imagine the team were told in no uncertain teams how unacceptable a performance it was.

Ryan did well, Bissouma looked bright when he came on, Dunk was average. The rest were well below par.

I guess it's a trait of our team that is built on being greater than the sum of it's parts that when some of the parts stop working well we look poor and when most of them have a bad day we look appalling. We don't have a star player to carry us when we're malfunctioning.

The sooner we get the new players up to speed the better.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

If he can’t rise to the challenge of competition for his place he won’t be playing much first team football. Is he really that mentally fragile?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

This.

Said it all Summer, whilst I look forward to seeing Andone, our forwards are weak in comparison to the rest of the team. Not Murray's fault, and he had no service at all yesterday.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Ryan - 6
Banardo - 5
Duffy - 4
Dunk - 6
Knockaert - 6
Stephens - 4
Propper- 4
March - 2
Gross - 5
Murray - 4