Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Thank God for that

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Worst performance in some time, utterly gutless, slow, complacent and predictable.

It's only day one, but it was relegation worthy, hopefully a rocket up the arse and some serious competition for place s will wake a few people up. . . Having said that a handful of the starting line up peaked last season, they won't get any better.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Its obvious we needed a wake-up call and we have got one at the earliest opportunity.

The entire build-up among all of us, fans, club alike, has been one of over-confidence bordering on complacency. The selection and performance today was absolute continuation of that.

A rude awakening - act on it and we can do what we are capable of.

Don't agree. It is not a rude awakening. We had worst away record in PL last season, haven't won an away match since last November, and our team was pretty much what it would have been throughout that campaign. So where is the surprise?

I don't agree the club has been complacent; complacent clubs don't splash £63m on new players (https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/transfers/wettbewerb/GB1 in case the figure is queried). The issue is CH's preparedness to use new players. Murray is not the answer, particularly away from home.

But then again, we may play with the same team next Sunday, and win....

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
So what went right in this game if i might ask(serious question)? I was watching the Chelsea - Huddersfield game.
Not a lot. The only positive was Bissouma coming on and Solly going off.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
It was the first game of the season, after a positive end to last year and a good off-season, where apparently everyone was f'itter than ever and ready to press all game'. That performance was symptomatic of something. Hopefully we'll not see the like of that again.

we got absolutely hammered by city and Liverpool so not the best end to last season. That performance basically said, if we play with the same 11 as last season we will go down. Thankfully we have 5 players that should make their way into the starting 11.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm definitely not. I've been slightly concerned for a while. hardly anyone has thought we'd do anything other than comfortable mid-table this season if this board is anything to go by
There have certainly been quite a few who think it will be relatively comfortable, but it's not hardly anyone who's thought otherwise. Quite a few people seemed to agree with this:
Doesn't feel like a safe bet to me. We're progressing nicely, but other teams are progressing too. The teams that were making a mess of last season (like Palace, Wet Sham, Everton) are all in a better state this season. Wolves aren't likely to go down with what they've been spending (and the fact they were decent last season).

I'm predicting another season of stress, and desperately seeking points.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I agree on the complacency 100% and hope that's the key factor behind today's shambles. Hopefully no excuses from CH, a rethink on how we setup away and a massive kick up the bum for the squad is coming.

The fans were complacent and it affected the players? How does that work?

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Standing still both metaphorically and literally on the pitch.

Hughton can do everyone a favour tonight and explain exactly what all that was about because that was standing still, and both he and Bloom have said we can't afford to do that.
I realise we need time to get players fit and bedded in, but there was absolutely no intention of doing anything different from last season out there today.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
The simple answer today, was that we made Watford look good, which in essence they are NOT,
The ref looked like was part time from dyno rod, given the colour of his shirt, in fact the could qualify for a The Complete And Utter Shyster impersonator.
We had no bite in midfield.
I'm a fan of Solly March, but he looked disinterested today.
Chris Hughtons half time talk, obviously wasn't heeded to.
Apart from that, I still think we'll do okay this season.

On a lighter moment, a group of young Watford fans, that were hanging around the corner shop near the ground, asked me where my boyfriend was, even though I was with my wife :shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well I'm glad Ben Foster has confirmed that. We'd never have known otherwise. :lol:

Post #37 required info:

IMG_2824.PNG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here