Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Travellers have ancient right to land

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/16412889.travellers-pitch-up-at-wild-park-in-brighton/?ref=mr&lp=4

TRAVELLERS who illegally set up camp in a park have an “ancient right” to use the land, according to Labour MP for Kemptown Lloyd Russell-Moyle

Caravans moved on to Wild Park in Brighton this week.

They left the area yesterday morning after the city council and the police visited the site on Thursday and served them with a warning notice.

Labour MP for Kemptown Lloyd Russell-Moyle said: “With all these issues concerning travellers and use of public space, it’s about balance.

“Firstly, it’s about making sure the general public can access the park undisturbed and use the playing fields.

“Secondly, it’s about making sure the council provides enough accommodation for travellers.

“The travellers have an ancient right to use the land because they have been using it since before it became Wild Park. However, this balance is difficult to achieve if the council doesn’t have permanent sites set up for travellers.

“If there is space available, I think the council should consider designating them as accommodation sites for travellers. This is for travellers from all different ethnicities and backgrounds.”

Mr Russell-Moyle said setting up permanent sites would reduce trespassing.

He said: “If there are decent provisions, this will prevent illegal encampment on protected lands.

“In a broader perspective people have rights to enjoy themselves, but at the same time not break the law.”

A Brighton and Hove City Council council spokeswoman said: “The travellers were served a warning notice as the site is protected by the city’s Public Space Protection Order (PSPO) scheme.

“They left yesterday morning and city parks have re-secured the site. No further action was needed.”

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
:fishing:

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I will take the bait......That man is unbelievable!- ancient right to use the land, what a pile of codswallop. He should take a look at how his fellow MP neighbour for Hove acts. Unfortunately Momentum want shot of the good Labour MP for Hove and are trying to deselect him.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Perhaps the council should buy a bit of land and turn it into a traveller site. I'd suggest the land behind the garage on the A27 eastbound between Falmer and Lewes as there's few neighbours and it's out of the way without being too remote. Charge them £50 per van deposit and if the place isn't covered in shit when they leave they get it back.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Is this MP really that stupid?

Next time the travellers set up camp in the middle of the football pitches in Wild Park he needs to sit outside the cafe and just watch what's going on for an hour or two.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/16412889.travellers-pitch-up-at-wild-park-in-brighton/?ref=mr&lp=4

TRAVELLERS who illegally set up camp in a park have an “ancient right” to use the land, according to Labour MP for Kemptown Lloyd Russell-Moyle

Caravans moved on to Wild Park in Brighton this week.

They left the area yesterday morning with bins provided by the council full up with rubbish and building materials, rubbish that they couldn't be bothered to put in the bins.
Dog mess, a few empty gas bottles and the surrounding bushes looking like a toilet.

Labour MP for Kemptown Lloyd Russell-Moyle said: “With all these issues concerning travellers and use of public space, it’s about balance.

“Firstly, it’s about making sure the general public can access the park undisturbed and use the playing fields.

“Secondly, it’s about making sure the council provides enough accommodation for travellers.

“The travellers have an ancient right to use the land because they have been using it since before it became Wild Park. However, this balance is difficult to achieve if the council doesn’t have permanent sites set up for travellers.

“If there is space available, I think the council should consider designating them as accommodation sites for travellers. This is for travellers from all different ethnicities and backgrounds.”

Mr Russell-Moyle said setting up permanent sites would reduce trespassing.

He said: “If there are decent provisions, this will prevent illegal encampment on protected lands.

“In a broader perspective people have rights to enjoy themselves, but at the same time not break the law.”

A Brighton and Hove City Council council spokeswoman said: “The travellers were served a warning notice as the site is protected by the city’s Public Space Protection Order (PSPO) scheme.

“They left yesterday morning and city parks have re-secured the site. No further action was needed.”

Slight edit.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Perhaps the council should buy a bit of land and turn it into a traveller site. I'd suggest the land behind the garage on the A27 eastbound between Falmer and Lewes as there's few neighbours and it's out of the way without being too remote. Charge them £50 per van deposit and if the place isn't covered in shit when they leave they get it back.

Brighton has already got a traveller site.
https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/content/housing/travellers/horsdean-traveller-site

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea

I used to give traveller kids a lift to school and back, just outside their site there was piles of tyres and loads of half deconstructed washing machines etc Unfortunately I cannot see change.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I think that their are even more ancient rights about defending your property if only BHCC would use them, or even Section 62?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
It's just another example of the 21st century disease isn't it ?

Where everyone knows exactly what their rights are, but nobody wants to take responsibility for their actions :shrug:

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I agree with everything he says. He is not suggesting travellers have the right to act like knobs. He opposes that sort of behaviour.

I have no issue with travellers turning up in places if they don't disrupt others.

Some of the ones in Brighton, however, have long been a menace.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I have no issue with travellers turning up in places if they don't disrupt others.

Some of the ones in Brighton, however, have long been a menace.

Well I bloody well do. Putting aside for one moment the rubbish they leave, the threats they make to locals and the increase in shop lifting and I don't see why anyone should be able to just pull their caravan on to public land and live there for a while - you're surely not suggesting that are you ? Anyone can just pitch camp at say Preston Park, or Waterhall or St Helen's Green or Victoria Gardens or The Rockery ?? They have a site financed by local taxpayers and should effing well use it or be run out of town.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I had an ancient right to sit in my neighbour's bath as humans used that site well before they built our street.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here