Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Watford vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
....but how many of us looked at yesterdays team when it was announced and felt totally and utterly uninspired. Its not as if we don't know what to expect away from home. Time and time again, we have had to put up with poor displays from the same players away from home and predictable, paceless line-ups from the manager that play into opposition hands.
To start with Knockaert and March was frankly risible. These two are complete liabilities away from the comfort of the Amex. Knockaert hasn't got the stomach for a fight on our travels, over plays constantly and recklessly gives the ball away, over and over again. He gifted Watford the second goal yesterday by an attempt at an extravagant drag-back. We have to accept now that Solly March isn't good enough at this level. He is lightweight and cannot provide any service to forward players. Knockaert has to be played sparingly at home only and I'm afraid Solly has to be loaned out to a Championship club.
We had little or no pace through the whole centre of the team, from the lumbering Duffy, through Propper and Stephens, onto Gross and finally, the ageing Murray. We keep going away and watching us failing to put the opposition on the back foot. Quick balls forward had us in trouble all day yesterday, with our lack of pace constantly exposed. CH cannot persist with playing two of the slowest players in the PL in advanced positions. Bissouma showed what we need just behind the striker and CH will have to have a rethink re Gross/Stephens/Propper. Bernardo is not a RB, the evidence was plain to see yesterday.
Watford are one of the teams that we expect to be around/just below or just above in the league. Yesterday, they were quicker, sharper, stronger and more clever in all respects. We failed to get a single effort on target in 90 mins. It was woeful. CH seemed puzzled how it happened. It happened because he picked the wrong team, persists with a slow and predictable line-up and keeps showing loyalty to players who don't put a shift in away from home and keep making the same mistakes.
You can describe it how you like...' a wake up call '....' just one of those awful performances '....' bad day at the office '.....the buck stops with the manager, who, predictably waited until we were out of the game before introducing two expensive acquisitions, who, surprise, surprise immediately lifted the team, showed energy and aggression and looked better than those around them.
We all knew the first 6-7 games were going to be difficult. Its clear now, that we are going to be in the bottom three and playing catch-up from an early part of this season.
Exactly...... well said. I will go further with March, he looks like he wants a trf, I think he knows he has been rumbled, not up to job at this level, and is just waiting to be selected for the u23 team at best, or off to a Championship team on loan.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
....but how many of us looked at yesterdays team when it was announced and felt totally and utterly uninspired. .

Curious - What team - would you have picked then ? - Izquierdo isn't fit so not an option, Knockaert was motm v Nantes, the Bruno/Bernardo switch was forced upon you, Andone is training but wouldn't have been ready for yesterday so couldn't have replaced Murray, and Hughton made one sub with 31 minutes to go but couldn't obviously make 3 attacking subs due to the injury.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
....but how many of us looked at yesterdays team when it was announced and felt totally and utterly uninspired. Its not as if we don't know what to expect away from home. Time and time again, we have had to put up with poor displays from the same players away from home and predictable, paceless line-ups from the manager that play into opposition hands.
To start with Knockaert and March was frankly risible. These two are complete liabilities away from the comfort of the Amex. Knockaert hasn't got the stomach for a fight on our travels, over plays constantly and recklessly gives the ball away, over and over again. He gifted Watford the second goal yesterday by an attempt at an extravagant drag-back. We have to accept now that Solly March isn't good enough at this level. He is lightweight and cannot provide any service to forward players. Knockaert has to be played sparingly at home only and I'm afraid Solly has to be loaned out to a Championship club.
We had little or no pace through the whole centre of the team, from the lumbering Duffy, through Propper and Stephens, onto Gross and finally, the ageing Murray. We keep going away and watching us failing to put the opposition on the back foot. Quick balls forward had us in trouble all day yesterday, with our lack of pace constantly exposed. CH cannot persist with playing two of the slowest players in the PL in advanced positions. Bissouma showed what we need just behind the striker and CH will have to have a rethink re Gross/Stephens/Propper. Bernardo is not a RB, the evidence was plain to see yesterday.
Watford are one of the teams that we expect to be around/just below or just above in the league. Yesterday, they were quicker, sharper, stronger and more clever in all respects. We failed to get a single effort on target in 90 mins. It was woeful. CH seemed puzzled how it happened. It happened because he picked the wrong team, persists with a slow and predictable line-up and keeps showing loyalty to players who don't put a shift in away from home and keep making the same mistakes.
You can describe it how you like...' a wake up call '....' just one of those awful performances '....' bad day at the office '.....the buck stops with the manager, who, predictably waited until we were out of the game before introducing two expensive acquisitions, who, surprise, surprise immediately lifted the team, showed energy and aggression and looked better than those around them.
We all knew the first 6-7 games were going to be difficult. Its clear now, that we are going to be in the bottom three and playing catch-up from an early part of this season.

Not uninspired but certainly not surprised.

From the moment it became clear that CH only 'change' would be defensively and the team was starting with Murray they were always on a hiding to nothing.

el punal

Ouch! The truth hurts and your comments have nailed it. Well said.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Curious - What team - would you have picked then ? - Izquierdo isn't fit so not an option, Knockaert was motm v Nantes, the Bruno/Bernardo switch was forced upon you, Andone is training but wouldn't have been ready for yesterday so couldn't have replaced Murray, and Hughton made one sub with 31 minutes to go but couldn't obviously make 3 attacking subs due to the injury.

How about starting with Hemed for Murray, Bissouma for Propper and Jahanbakhsh for March for starters?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Do you seriously think that an under-cooked friendly v Nantes, at the Amex, when he has time and space, is a benchmark for judging Knockaert? Judge him when the chips are down away from home. List me his three best away performances in the PL and then we can all have a giggle. Likewise March. I will keep saying it. You start an away game in the PL with these two....YOU WILL LOSE.
The opening game on paper was winnable. It was not a time for paceless predictability. He should have started with AJ. Let him loose and give Watford something to worry about. Where was Hemed. Is he injured? He could have been there to replace the tiring Murray.
I was not overly impressed with Bernardo when he was at LB. As soon as the switch was made, he was like a fish out of water. Ok, CH's hands were tied to some extent but Bissouma and Jahanbaksh were clearly fit and raring to go. One should have been played from the start.
You must have been in the minority if you looked at the starting line-up and didn't think that this was going to be a long afternoon. Even a slight tweak from the manager would have stimulated but it was the same old predictable line-up and the same old away performance and the same old result.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
. CH seemed puzzled how it happened. It happened because he picked the wrong team, persists with a slow and predictable line-up and keeps showing loyalty to players who don't put a shift in away from home and keep making the same mistakes.

The players we have are poor, slow, or aren't good enough and Chris picked the wrong players, formation and won't make the right subs, except when he did and it lifted the team is fair enough.
i thought it was a hugely disappointing match. Thats 12 games in a row away from home with no win for me.
But here's Hughton in full after the match. Its , as you'd expect a slightly more nuanced response than the merely "puzzled" you summarise it as.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06h6m52

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
t it was the same old predictable line-up and the same old away performance and the same old result.

I know i've been to many of them. Still waiting for a win in my last 15 months of travels. Hemed was there , he travelled as the 19th man - was seen during the warm up.
So you'd have replaced Knockaert with AJ. and dropped one of Stephens, Propper or Gross for Bissouma and (started ?) Hemed instead of Murray ?
And you'd have left out March and replaced him with ??

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The players we have are poor, slow, or aren't good enough and Chris picked the wrong players, formation and won't make the right subs, except when he did and it lifted the team is fair enough.
i thought it was a hugely disappointing match. Thats 12 games in a row away from home with no win for me.
But here's Hughton in full after the match. Its , as you'd expect a slightly more nuanced response than the merely "puzzled" you summarise it as.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06h6m52

Listening to that interview, CH admits he doesn't know why we lost!!

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Wouldn’t it be reassuring if we were to learn that CH completely lost his shit in the dressing room post match, including something he apparently never does, critiquing each individual in front of the team, and sharing examples of how their lack of commitment and performance put team colleagues in difficulty and ultimately lost us the game? CH is usually the ultimate in restrained “praise in public, punish in private” player management. But, if he were to have lost his shit yesterday, for example, that would surely have been the optimum time to do it, don’t you think?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Agreed, it was as bad as those. So disjointed. Last season was studded with great pairings all over the pitch. Bruno and Knocky. Bong and Izzy. Duffy and Dunk. Propper and Stephens. Gross and Murray. Instinctively knowing what each other is going to do. Yesterday? Looked like we’d never met, all over the pitch, and didn’t see to care about it either. Baffling.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Watford vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Agreed, nothing wrong with being relieved when a player, who you think has played badly is subbed it’s normal, but to cheer it is childish and a little pathetic, it just worsens the situation for the player concerned. It can only demotivate, there are very few players who will come back stronger when their own support turns on them

People pay a lot of money to support there team and are entitled to cheer or boo , these players get payed obscene amount of money . Did I cheer yes was it aimed at him personally no was it more out of frustration and relief that hughton finally saw what we all saw in the first half .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Wouldn’t it be reassuring if we were to learn that CH completely lost his shit in the dressing room post match, including something he apparently never does, critiquing each individual in front of the team, and sharing examples of how their lack of commitment and performance put team colleagues in difficulty and ultimately lost us the game? CH is usually the ultimate in restrained “praise in public, punish in private” player management. But, if he were to have lost his shit yesterday, for example, that would surely have been the optimum time to do it, don’t you think?

I am wondering what part Trollope plays in this?
Does he strike you as an ' enforcer ' type...a la Calderwood, who clearly did a lot of CH's dirty work for him.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I know i've been to many of them. Still waiting for a win in my last 15 months of travels. Hemed was there , he travelled as the 19th man - was seen during the warm up.
So you'd have replaced Knockaert with AJ. and dropped one of Stephens, Propper or Gross for Bissouma and (started ?) Hemed instead of Murray ?
And you'd have left out March and replaced him with ??
FWIW, I'd have started with AJ instead of March, and Hemed up front - and that genuinely isn't hindsight. Also, when Bruno got injured, I'd have brought on Balogun instead of Bong. But what the hell, what's done is done. Very disappointing. Quite grumpy this morning!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
FWIW, I'd have started with AJ instead of March, and Hemed up front - and that genuinely isn't hindsight. Also, when Bruno got injured, I'd have brought on Balogun instead of Bong. But what the hell, what's done is done. Very disappointing. Quite grumpy this morning!

All of this. Hemed based on form.

I’m very grumpy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here