Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Watford vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Agreed, nothing wrong with being relieved when a player, who you think has played badly is subbed it’s normal, but to cheer it is childish and a little pathetic, it just worsens the situation for the player concerned. It can only demotivate, there are very few players who will come back stronger when their own support turns on them

But are they cheering because of the introduction of AJ.......

March was fairly close to the bench when subbed, so a fine line.

Just saying......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Just saying......

This - cheering AJ coming on (albeit too late), that’s all. Wanted him to start instead of March, and Hemed instead of Murray.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Gyokeres should be on the bench at least until Izquierdo is fit, AJ and Knocky to start and they can switch wings as often as they like.

As for Solly March, as others have said, he needs a spell away on loan to rediscover his form, the huge potential that we've all been waiting to see realised, hasn't happened, he's been a part of the 1st team squad for years now and really hasn't improved.

Gyokeres has the potential that Solly had at the start, but looks stronger and far more confident, time to see if he can realise that potential, sometimes you have to take a chance with a young player, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

As for players fitness, or lack of, due to returning from world cups etc, it probably is right to make sure they are ready, some have a natural fitness that allows them to return very quickly some don't and if they come back too soon it can have an adverse effect later in the season, I often think Skalak suffered in this respect after the Euros. So if the clubs highly paid fitness experts say we have to wait then you get no argument from me.... Having said that Capouie did rather well yesterday for Watford after having no pre-season due to appendicitis, will be interesting to see how his season goes.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Just saying......

This - cheering AJ coming on (albeit too late), that’s all. Wanted him to start instead of March, and Hemed instead of Murray.

Nah, not round me, they weren’t. They cheered March off, then gave a slightly louder cheer for Knocky when he trotted on. Solly obviously thought so too - his head dropped when he heard the cheers for him going off.

He was really very poor yesterday - but no performance deserves mockery of one of our own, no matter how poor the performance.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Gyokeres should be on the bench at least until Izquierdo is fit, AJ and Knocky to start and they can switch wings as often as they like.

As for Solly March, as others have said, he needs a spell away on loan to rediscover his form, the huge potential that we've all been waiting to see realised, hasn't happened, he's been a part of the 1st team squad for years now and really hasn't improved.

Gyokeres has the potential that Solly had at the start, but looks stronger and far more confident, time to see if he can realise that potential, sometimes you have to take a chance with a young player, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

As for players fitness, or lack of, due to returning from world cups etc, it probably is right to make sure they are ready, some have a natural fitness that allows them to return very quickly some don't and if they come back too soon it can have an adverse effect later in the season, I often think Skalak suffered in this respect after the Euros. So if the clubs highly paid fitness experts say we have to wait then you get no argument from me.... Having said that Capouie did rather well yesterday for Watford after having no pre-season due to appendicitis, will be interesting to see how his season goes.

I agree... in fact, i agree so strongly that I'm going to hop in the car and drive to Spain to shake your hand.

Top post.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Watching Liverpool. Absolutely immense.
Main thing you noiuce though is the difference in pace. We are so, so, so, so, so ponderous.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol

Gyorkes is too good for youth football. Am absolutely confident he'd offer more than March but I guess he's more of an inside forward than an out and out winger.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Watching Liverpool. Absolutely immense.
Main thing you noiuce though is the difference in pace. We are so, so, so, so, so ponderous.

Yes our spine is slow and yesterday our quickest players were very poor. Fortunately we have bought fast players let’s hope CH doesn’t think they need too long acclimatising, we need them now

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Yes our spine is slow and yesterday our quickest players were very poor. Fortunately we have bought fast players let’s hope CH doesn’t think they need too long acclimatising, we need them now

As a warning to all, i'm not sure AJ is quick. He's athletic and great on the ball, but i don't think he is rapid.
Andone looks very quick though.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Nah, not round me, they weren’t. They cheered March off, then gave a slightly louder cheer for Knocky when he trotted on. Solly obviously thought so too - his head dropped when he heard the cheers for him going off.

He was really very poor yesterday - but no performance deserves mockery of one of our own, no matter how poor the performance.

Fair enough, you were obviously in a different area to me, I clapped March off and cheered the AJ on.

Absolutely agree with your point, but really not sure his head dropped because of that, can't be good to know you're blowing your chance to impress, despite having plenty of the ball and opportunity.....

I'm amazed Propper is escaping criticism, he didn't hold the shape at all, and frankly was useless (like most of them).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that yes a number of players played below pa which was unexpected and disappointing, but the major criticism must be aimed at CH for moving Bernardo over to right back and not bringing on Balogun and at the worst possibly even Kayal and going 3-5-2 to stiffle their midfield supply to the front men. and perhaps stop their 2 goal midfielder.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think that yes a number of players played below pa which was unexpected and disappointing, but the major criticism must be aimed at CH for moving Bernardo over to right back and not bringing on Balogun and at the worst possibly even Kayal and going 3-5-2 to stiffle their midfield supply to the front men. and perhaps stop their 2 goal midfielder.

3-5-2 is for the last 10 minutes when 1-0 down. i would have changed to 4-5-1 at half-time and out an extra man (Bissouma) in midfield.

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2018/august/bernardo-we-have-the-quality-to-improve/

Liverpool get four and we are out of the relegation zone. Brighton, Fulham and West Ham to occupy the three places before the Fulham game?

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

3-5-2 is for the last 10 minutes when 1-0 down.I would have changed to 4-5-1 at half-time and put an extra man (Bissouma) in midfield.

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2018/august/bernardo-we-have-the-quality-to-improve/

Liverpool get four. Brighton, Fulham and West Ham to occupy the three places before the Fulham game?

Brighton manager Chris Hughton says "brave movement" from your central midfielders can help you create space and evade the mass of bodies swarming the man on the ball.
Read more at https://www.fourfourtwo.com/performance/tactics/countering-team-press-high-pitch#RkAH8zH17aWZjML7.99

Last edited:

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
Yesterday was lost in midfield and poor defending plus a lack of anything (2.5 chances) in front of goal. Fact is that our home form will be crucial again and we must absolutely pick up points on the road to those teams who will be around us next Easter. Watford imho will be this season's potential Burnley. Certainly top 10 potential. The plus is that we have some real quality waiting to get up to speed which will now be next Sunday. To many players went missing yesterday..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here