Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] OT - Wiring a single speaker in Stereo...

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Very OT I know but here goes in the hope that someone who actually understands this sort of stuff can help!

So I recently bought a small amp, mains powered but the sort you would often find in a car, wired to my Sonos Connect and then outputting to a reasonable single garden speaker.

Works brilliantly and saves me taking a Play 1 outside every day but had rather an issue when California Dreamin by Mamas a and Papas came on... Early use of Stereo sound where the production played the main vocals through one channel and the harmony through the other and it sounds HORRIFIC when you only have one channel!

I remember that I used to wire a sub in my car (back in boy racer days) from R+ to L- but those amps specifically labelled that you could. I have tried it last night and it solved the problem but is there any risk to the kit by doing this? I am aware there are comments re ohms and resistance etc but I literally do not understand it at all!

Cheers to anyone who can help!

fc8b4d493960ef159f3705c6378d3df8.jpg

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Very OT I know but here goes in the hope that someone who actually understands this sort of stuff can help!

So I recently bought a small amp, mains powered but the sort you would often find in a car, wired to my Sonos Connect and then outputting to a reasonable single garden speaker.

Works brilliantly and saves me taking a Play 1 outside every day but had rather an issue when California Dreamin by Mamas a and Papas came on... Early use of Stereo sound where the production played the main vocals through one channel and the harmony through the other and it sounds HORRIFIC when you only have one channel!

I remember that I used to wire a sub in my car (back in boy racer days) from R+ to L- but those amps specifically labelled that you could. I have tried it last night and it solved the problem but is there any risk to the kit by doing this? I am aware there are comments re ohms and resistance etc but I literally do not understand it at all!

Cheers to anyone who can help!

fc8b4d493960ef159f3705c6378d3df8.jpg

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

With respect, it looks like you're in some sort of sea world!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I think you’ll run the risk of shorting the amp. Does the amp have a ‘mono’ option?

If not you can get stereo to mono transformers to do exactly what you want to do.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Four options:

1 press the “mono” option on the amp (if there is one)
2 buy a stereo to mono converter which you insert between the source and the amp
3 buy a s2m transformer which you insert between the amp and the speaker
4 fiddle with the wiring and quite likely short the amp.

The kit can cost between £20 and £100, depending on quality.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Pah ! Converters...

If it aint caught fire yet, you'll be ok*

*values of "ok" can vary between "no danger whatsoever" and "oh christ I burnt me house down"

Being sensible...
You need to put resistors in series with the +ve outputs of L & R else you will have them trying to drive each other. You could work out what value you need if you have the amplifier output and impedance but it probably aint worth the f..king about when you could but a converter cheaply.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here