Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Development Squad

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
The Dev Squad remains a bit of a mystery to me. How do they get match fit if they don't play any fixtures?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
u23 and u18 now

Both in leagues , seagulls website at last seems to have all this covered under fixtures section.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
u23 and u18 now

Both in leagues , seagulls website at last seems to have all this covered under fixtures section.

Are you saying the Dev Squad doesn't exist?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Our under 23s squad play in Premier League 2 and won promotion to Division 1 last season via the play offs. Our under 18s play in the U18s Premier League, which is regionalised and obviously our side will play in the Southern section. Our under 18s finished 8th of 12 teams last season.

The dev squad is an encompassing term to refer to players of a younger age who aren’t part of the first team squad. Within that squad there are age levels. Although it does seem to be most of the dev squad signings that generate some press are for the Under 23s.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

:sigh: The Development Squad is the U23s, the U18s, plus presumably all the other youth development work we do. Just look for AZ Gulls posts, they'll contain all the information you need to know.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Ok. The full squad is 25 strong.

Only 11-14 play each game and aside from a few who get called up to the U23 where do the rest get and maintain match fitness?

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Ok. The full squad is 25 strong.

Only 11-14 play each game and aside from a few who get called up to the U23 where do the rest get and maintain match fitness?

Surely that's the same as the first team, squad of 25 with only 11-14 playing per match?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Surely that's the same as the first team, squad of 25 with only 11-14 playing per match?
Where or how do the non-playing 1st team squad keep match fitness
I'd imagine that's what he's referring to.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Are you not allowed a certain number of over 23's in each fixture. Sure some senior players played in Under-23 games last year when returning from injury etc

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Where or how do the non-playing 1st team squad keep match fitness
I'd imagine that's what he's referring to.

Ah, got the wrong end of the stick on that.
From my experience many moons ago. Match fitness isn't really something you either have or don't, it's kind of more like a sliding scale. Obviously those playing week in week out are should be pretty much completely match fit and ready to go, but a great deal of match fitness comes from training and preparation and the work you do linking with those around you. If training regularly with those you're likely to be playing with you should fit right in if called upon, still no amount of training can ever fully prepare you for a competitive match. I imagine it's easy for some players to let their heads drop and stop giving 100% day in day out when they haven't been picked to play for months, but that's down to the player and I'm pleased to see our squad all seem to be real pro's and not a bunch of sulky babies.
It must be hard for Hughton with the influx of new faces, and I understand why sometimes it takes a while to integrate a player as it's as much about the players around him as it is that specific player. I'm kind of talking about chemistry now though, or am I just waffling? Hey ho, that's my tuppence worth anyway. :)

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
So there's probably ABOUT 10 players that don't make the Prem matches to get sharpness nor do they get to play in the U23. ( I believe its only 2 over age players allowed)

No wonder it takes weeks/months to get up to speed. This is where the old style reserves with their own fixtures seemed a much better system.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
So there's probably ABOUT 10 players that don't make the Prem matches to get sharpness nor do they get to play in the U23. ( I believe its only 2 over age players allowed)

No wonder it takes weeks/months to get up to speed. This is where the old style reserves with their own fixtures seemed a much better system.

up to 3 overage outfield players plus the goalkeeper allowed.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
up to 3 overage outfield players plus the goalkeeper allowed.

So with many of the first team squad trying to achieve match fitness there is not one named in the U23 game tonight. I rest my case.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
No wonder we keep claiming that players are not match fit - There's nowhere to get that fitness

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
The DS play in the top Premier League, now the Premier League European Cup, The Checker Trade Cup (all these have league formats to start with) The F.A youth cups, The Sussex senior cups, I may have missed some. Not sure how this is seen as not getting any playing time.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
The DS play in the top Premier League, now the Premier League European Cup, The Checker Trade Cup (all these have league formats to start with) The F.A youth cups, The Sussex senior cups, I may have missed some. Not sure how this is seen as not getting any playing time.

The OP means for the fringe members of the 25 man PL squad, mainly those who will be outside of the normal match day 18.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Spurs U18s 6-4 Albion U18s

Premier U-18 League, South Group, 2018-19
Hotspur Way, Whitewebbs Lane, Enfield
Saturday 11th August 2018, 11.30am

SPURS V BRIGHTON & H.A.
(White/Blue) (Green/White)

3-1-5-1 4-2-3-1

6(3) 4(3)

Jonathan De Bie(C) 1 George Bentley
Maximus Tainio 2 Sam Packham
Luis Binks 3 Ayo Tanimowo
Jamie Bowden 4 Tareq Shihab
Harvey White 5 Ben Clarke-Eden
Paris Maghoma 6 Haydon Roberts
Dilan Markanday 7 Steff Vukoje
Armando Shashoua 8 Marc Leonard
Troy Parrott 9 Danny Cashman(C)
Phoenix Patterson 10 Jayden Ouen
J'neil Bennett 11 Jack Sprong

Malachi Walcott 12 Cameron Tutt
(5)85Mins
Joshua Oluwayemi 13 Roco Rees
Brooklyn Lyons-Foster 14 Matt Weaire
(10)60Mins (3)76Mins
Jeremie Mukendi 15 Lorent Tolaj
(7)73Mins (8)61Mins
Dennis Cirkin 16 Matt Everitt
(8)79Mins

Scorers:-
Binks 34 Ouen 9, 26, 68
Parrott 43, 45+5 Vukoje 36
Maghoma 52
Lyons-Foster 61
Bennett 63

Coach:-
Matt Wells Mark Beard

Referee:– Shaun Barry​
It was a warm morning for the first game of the new season, thankfully not as hot as a few days before. Brighton finished four places below Spurs last season but did win the game here 1-0 in a tight game where they stopped Spurs' passing game and snatched the winner in the last minute. Spurs lined up with a back three in front of skipper De Bie formed of Tainio, White and Binks with Bowden anchoring the midfield in front of them. Ahead of him Maghoma was flanked by Shashoua and Patterson with Markanday wide on the right and Bennett wide on the left in support of Parrott up front.

With so many many attacking midfield players Spurs tried to over-run the visitors' defence which played deep with numbers and looked to break. Parrott headed wide and Bennett drew a save. With Bowden drawn forward Brighton broke down the left and hit an early ball into the box for the run of Ouen. De Bie saved his header but could not stop him tucking in the rebound.

Maghoma fired over from a Parrott pass and another break saw Leonard shoot over for Brighton. Bennett drove wide before another break saw Cashman play in Ouen from the halfway line. The Brighton man held off Bowden to beat De Bie with a low finish inside the right post.

Spurs continued to press and Parrott had a header over the bar for a corner from which the striker made a run and flick that was wide of the near post. The pressure finally told when Binks arrived at the far post to meet a cross and his header was deemed to have crossed the line before Bentley cleared. Spurs' joy was short-lived. A low ball in from the right was not dealt with by White and Vukoje nipped in ahead of him and smashed it in off the crossbar.

Shashoua laid the ball off to Bowden who fired over from distance before Spurs pulled another goal back. Maghoma tried to dribble into the area but as the ball ran loose Parrott was on hand to sweep the ball in. Spurs kept pushing for another goal and Maghoma hit the far corner of the goal and when the ball was not cleared Parrott drove in to draw Spurs level on the stroke of half-time.

There were no changes for the start of the second half which saw Spurs looking to continue to push forward. Brighton had the first chance of the half when Roberts headed wide at a corner but Maghoma provided some great footwork to come in from the left and score with a right-footed shot to give Spurs the lead for the first time in the match.

Spurs now got on top of their stubborn opponents and Parrott drew a save. Shashoua came in off the left and laid the ball off to Markanday whose effort was blocked for a corner. Lyons-Foster came on for Patterson going into the back with White moving forward to anchor the midfield and Bowden moving forward as well.

Lyons-Foster was only on for a minute when he got his head to a White free kick to score Spurs' fifth goal. Brighton now sent on a second striker as they looked to come out. Bennett found himself in space to the left of goal and flighted the ball into the top far corner for number six. That should have been it but Lyons-Foster slipped carrying the ball out of the back claiming he was tripped. The ref said play on and Ouen picked up the loose ball and drove in for his hat-trick.

Bentley saved from Bennett and also saved a header by Parrott from a Bowden centre. Mukendi replaced Markanday on the right to provide fresh legs. Binks had a header saved at a corner before Ouen fired over for the visitors. Spurs' last change saw Cirkin replace Shashoua going to left back as Spurs reverted to a back four to see out the game. In the closing minutes Bennett had a couple of efforts off target before the final whistle.

Spurs began with a cavalier attacking attitude and had an inexperienced defence which saw them go 2-0 and 3-1 down to a side happy to sit back and wait for the chances to appear. Thanks to Parrott Spurs were able to go in level at half-time. This allowed them to continue to make their attacking play in the second which finally told against the visitors. Next week they go to Swansea who drew 1-1 at Fulham today. Last season Spurs won 5-2 in Wales. I missed that game and will miss this one as I will be at Wembley for the Fulham game.

http://www.spursodyssey.com/1819/u18br110818.html

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here