Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How does the 25 man Squad work then?

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
So, we have a space for a 'home-grown' player and to fill it you would need to English and not under contract to any other team as of now.

I am available. I mean, I'm 42 and not very good at football, but if the space is going spare then why not?

Alternatively, a raffle? Or put it on e-bay?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Before today's game I suspect the planned "odd man out" was Hemed hence why not in match day squad - re a sale to a Spanish team

After today's game I suspect we might change our minds on this - Suttner to go out on loan for season would be my guess

I’m sure Hemed travelled with the squad to Watford but Schelotto didn’t so I suspect Hemed isn’t necessarily the odd man out and one of the full backs is, especially when you look at Schelotto’s instagram posts over the last few days.

So, we have a space for a 'home-grown' player and to fill it you would need to English and not under contract to any other team as of now.

I am available. I mean, I'm 42 and not very good at football, but if the space is going spare then why not?

Alternatively, a raffle? Or put it on e-bay?

Nationality has nothing to do with HGP status and I suspect you’ll not be eligible to be a home grown player (like most of us won’t be) as you won’t have the required 36 months registered to clubs prior to your 21st birthday. I can count a one weekend trial with Sheffield United so fall 35.9 months short of the requirement. Any advance on that?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I’m sure Hemed travelled with the squad to Watford but Schelotto didn’t so I suspect Hemed isn’t necessarily the odd man out and one of the full backs is, especially when you look at Schelotto’s instagram posts over the last few days.

Nationality has nothing to do with HGP status and I suspect you’ll not be eligible to be a home grown player (like most of us won’t be) as you won’t have the required 36 months registered to clubs prior to your 21st birthday. I can count a one weekend trial with Sheffield United so fall 35.9 months short of the requirement. Any advance on that?

Hemed was in his tracksuit talking to someone in our end whilst the 18 were doing their pre-match routine. So I guess he is in the 25 currently.
But as that can change up until September 1st it doesn't mean he's staying.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Not even sure why it needs to be as soon as a club takes the player(s). Whoever is in or out of the squad will know by now and those out will have their agents working to get them a new club

There may well be good reason to keep it quiet but I'm more inclined to think it's just the way the club pick and chose what they communicate

I imagine it's because shouting from the rooftops "here's the player we didn't pick in our 25 man squad and who we therefore have no use for" isn't necessarily the best negotiating tactic.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I imagine it's because shouting from the rooftops "here's the player we didn't pick in our 25 man squad and who we therefore have no use for" isn't necessarily the best negotiating tactic.

Whoever is out will have their agent working overtime to find the best opportunity for them.

They're talking about it now on Sunday Supplement ... the fact that the window hasn't closed for everyone will most definitely impact on the negotiating position of a club looking to shift players out

Us fans may not know who is out, but the footballing world will

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
So, now Norwood appears to be off. CH says we will be naming a 25 man squad. Who will be our final HGP?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Schelotto didn't sign autographs today. Nor did Towell.

Suttner did..

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So, now Norwood appears to be off. CH says we will be naming a 25 man squad. Who will be our final HGP?

Norwood's gone. If we now offload Barclay and Towell (if indeed he is an HGP; I don't think he is - he's Irish) so that we have no 'spare' HGPs on our books, I believe we may still be able to take on an out of contract HGP. I think................

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Is towell not HGP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To qualify as an HGP you need to have been registered with Welsh or English clubs for 36 months prior to your 21st birthday (or the end of the season in which you turn 21).

Towell was aged 24 when he first registered with an English club (ie Albion).

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Norwood's gone. If we now offload Barclay and Towell (if indeed he is an HGP; I don't think he is - he's Irish) so that we have no 'spare' HGPs on our books, I believe we may still be able to take on an out of contract HGP. I think................

Someone else posted that it was reported that PL clubs are no longer able to sign free agents and add them to the 25 man squad outside of transfer windows.

This may be what the other person read -

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....s/transfer-deadline-day-can-free-13044460.amp

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here