Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How does the 25 man Squad work then?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Why is Ben Barclay being mentioned?

I've mentioned Ben - not because I'm claiming he will be in the 25, but because he could be.

Barclay and Norwood are the only HGPs we would likely register - as they are the only two we have who are over 21. It is no secret Norwood is expected to leave. It is extremely unlikely Barclay would ever play for us in the Premier League this season - but we might register him simply because - assuming Norwood leaves - he would be the only footballer at the club who wouldn't technically be allowed to play for us in the Premier League.

It is worth noting a few things here.

1. We do not have to name 25 players. We have to name UP TO 25 players. We could register 20 if we wanted too.
2. We can name no more than 17 players who are not "home grown".
3. That leaves 8 HGP slots - but you don't have to fill them all.
4. Changes to the squad list of 25 may be made during the period of a transfer window.

We are still in a Transfer Window. Whatever we name today could change - because our players could be signed from abroad. For example. We could name Norwood today. He could leave on loan in 2 days. Then we could name Barclay, or no one, or we sign a free agent.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
I dont know the full rules but didnt a couple of prem teams last January sign 'free agents' and add them to thier 25 man squad after the window had closed ... thinking Palace did this with (was it) Song ? & West Ham with Evra ?

Last edited:

Shippers

Jan 12, 2016
Naming 24 would enable us to bring in someone on loan.

I'd be shocked if Hemed went, particularly with Locadia and Andone carrying knocks at the moment

I would have been shocked to see him go now, but not back to Europe at end of month before there window closes. That way we get to use him the next couple of weeks while others get back to fitness.
I would rather see either Suttner or Schelotto go myself though.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I would have been shocked to see him go now, but not back to Europe at end of month before there window closes. That way we get to use him the next couple of weeks while others get back to fitness.
I would rather see either Suttner or Schelotto go myself though.
18 fixtures with just 3 strikers available ? A little risky maybe ? ???

Tomer must be here until January now.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Possible HGP inclusions could be Norwood although I think unlikely , same for Towell , so my guess is Ben White until January
White won't be listed in the squad - he's an under-age player.

Hewoughton made it clear he’s naming a FULL 25 man squad .
Maybe White will get his chance as 4th CB.
It looks pretty obvious that until January at least White is our 4th.choice CB. He can play in the team, but cannot (? - or is it just that he doesn't have to be named in the squad?) be named in the squad because of his age. Like having a free bonus player really - good! - and good to see our youngsters progressing.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The signing of Montoya sems to present us with a problem As I understand it. We have 18 International players when we can only have 17 since Montoya signed. So, someone will be disappointed. Suttner? Schelotto, maybe Hemed if Gyokeres is the real deal filling that position from the U23's?

Also, we have 8 home grown players but if Burn is going back to Wigan, we are a man down with only 3 recognised CB's until Xmas. Is that right?

We've had a great window by the way. This isn't a moan.

I will be disappointed for the player who is left out. Less so if like Suttner and Schelotto who have been here for a shorter amount of time.

Hemed is more likely to find another club. But he could make the first team. A bit short notice.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
White won't be listed in the squad - he's an under-age player.

It looks pretty obvious that until January at least White is our 4th.choice CB. He can play in the team, but cannot (? - or is it just that he doesn't have to be named in the squad?) be named in the squad because of his age. Like having a free bonus player really - good! - and good to see our youngsters progressing.

Yeah the answer is "doesn't have to be". We don't have to register White in our 25 man squad for him to be allowed to play in the Premier League.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I thought that we could name a 24 man squad and if required name an out of Contract unattached player if and when he signs.
Yes, but only if all over 21 aged players not in the squad have been got off the books - ie Towell, Norwood, Normann, Barclay and the injured Ahannach.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Yes, but only if all over 21 aged players not in the squad have been got off the books - ie Towell, Norwood, Normann, Barclay and the injured Ahannach.

The Mirror today is reporting that Premier League clubs can not sign free agents.

"Again, it's a no for Premier League clubs.

They won't be able to sign out-of-contract players until January.

Football League clubs have until the end of August to sign up free agents.

In years gone by, clubs were able to sign free agents at any point, but clubs under orders to submit their 25-man squads, this is no longer permitted."

Assuming Norwood is leaving. Our 25th man will be Ben Barclay. As he will be on the only home grown player over 21 left at the club to fill it.

They may well name Norwood today, and replace him with Barclay once a deal for Norwood has gone through.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I dont follow that as in our case it would possibly be a position that none of those could cover ie Centre Back. or a GK due to injurfy to onr of our 3 named. If what you are saying is correct it is in the clubs interests to send all of those not in the 25 out on loan.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The Mirror today is reporting that Premier League clubs can not sign free agents.

"Again, it's a no for Premier League clubs.

They won't be able to sign out-of-contract players until January.

Football League clubs have until the end of August to sign up free agents.

In years gone by, clubs were able to sign free agents at any point, but clubs under orders to submit their 25-man squads, this is no longer permitted."

Assuming Norwood is leaving. Our 25th man will be Ben Barclay. As he will be on the only home grown player over 21 left at the club to fill it.

They may well name Norwood today, and replace him with Barclay once a deal for Norwood has gone through.
Cheers. It's hard to keep up with the changes.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I dont follow that as in our case it would possibly be a position that none of those could cover ie Centre Back. or a GK due to injurfy to onr of our 3 named. If what you are saying is correct it is in the clubs interests to send all of those not in the 25 out on loan.
I was. But my info was out of date.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Tomer is in the squad for Watford, so, it’s either the Greyhound or Sutner. My money is on Schelotto going.

Last edited:

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
Am I right in saying that Shane Duffy counts as a home grown player. The club records show that he was born in Northern Ireland. I believe that those born south or north of the border are allowed to play for whichever country they wish and he opted to play for the Republic?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here