Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How does the 25 man Squad work then?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The signing of Montoya sems to present us with a problem As I understand it. We have 18 International players when we can only have 17 since Montoya signed. So, someone will be disappointed. Suttner? Schelotto, maybe Hemed if Gyokeres is the real deal filling that position from the U23's?

Also, we have 8 home grown players but if Burn is going back to Wigan, we are a man down with only 3 recognised CB's until Xmas. Is that right?

We've had a great window by the way. This isn't a moan.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The signing of Montoya sems to present us with a problem As I understand it. We have 18 International players when we can only have 17 since Montoya signed. So, someone will be disappointed. Suttner? Schelotto, maybe Hemed if Gyokeres is the real deal filling that position from the U23's?

Also, we have 8 home grown players but if Burn is going back to Wigan, we are a man down with only 3 recognised CB's until Xmas. Is that right?

We've had a great window by the way. This isn't a moan.

That pretty much it. One non-HGP has to not be included in the PL squad (they could in theory hang about and just play cup games - Sidwell was in this position Jan to June last season, had he regained fitness). Expect one out to a Championship loan, or abroad, though. The three you list seem the likeliest candidates. And that is assuming Towell is well out of the reckoning too.

Regards HGP, we do have Norwood who we could name, but he’d be about 6th choice in his position, so would seem a little pointless. Guess we’ll name 24. Possibly White will cover until Burn arrives in January, he wouldn’t be named in the 25 due to age.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Naming 24 would enable us to bring in someone on loan.

I'd be shocked if Hemed went, particularly with Locadia and Andone carrying knocks at the moment

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I expect Suttner or Schelotto not to be named in the 25 man squad and sold or loaned to Europe before the end of August.

I'm pretty certain we'll name a 24 man squad with 7 HGPs.

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

I'd be shocked if Hemed went, particularly with Locadia and Andone carrying knocks at the moment

Only a free agent and only if we get Towell, Norwood, Normann and the injured Ahannach ( loan to USG to recover ? ) off the books.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I have been wondering this myself. \I guess one of the 3 named above will be out on loan, Hemed to QPR maybe. I heard on the radio that in training Suttner was practicing being on the left of a 5 man midfield if we play 3 at the back. His delivery is good. \Do we have to name our squad today?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

We can’t bring anyone in on loan, there is no loan window for Premier League clubs. We could bring in a free agent but they’d have to be home grown and that’s only if Norwood is loaned out as gaps in the squad can only be filled by free agents if there are no eligible players already registered with the club (I am also assuming there are no dev squad players who are home grown and are now over 21).

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
That pretty much it. One non-HGP has to not be included in the PL squad (they could in theory hang about and just play cup games - Sidwell was in this position Jan to June last season, had he regained fitness). Expect one out to a Championship loan, or abroad, though. The three you list seem the likeliest candidates. And that is assuming Towell is well out of the reckoning too.

Regards HGP, we do have Norwood who we could name, but he’d be about 6th choice in his position, so would seem a little pointless. Guess we’ll name 24. Possibly White will cover until Burn arrives in January, he wouldn’t be named in the 25 due to age.

I'm assuming Norwood and Towell will end up in the Championship on loan somewhere. Perhaps Norwood to Birmingham after they realise how bad Gary Gardner is on Saturday.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
The loan window is still open until end of month imho.

That’s for EFL clubs to bring players in, we can only loan players out (or sell to their countries where the window is still open).

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We can’t bring anyone in on loan, there is no loan window for Premier League clubs. We could bring in a free agent but they’d have to be home grown and that’s only if Norwood is loaned out as gaps in the squad can only be filled by free agents if there are no eligible players already registered with the club (I am also assuming there are no dev squad players who are home grown and are now over 21).
Step forward James Collins

:fishing:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here