Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Peter Gwargis signed for U23/U18 squad

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

You've gotta love agents, haven't you? :rolleyes:

At the time of this article, the extent of this kid's "career" was training (not playing, but training) with the U-17s and U-19s of a Norwegian third tier (south) side. And yet:-

This is a left-footed offensive football player who many here believe will be a new Ozil.

Yeah, well maybe he needs to actually play a match against a men's team before we jump to that conclusion, eh?

Distinct overtones of our Spanish wunderkind Luis Garcia, whose agent had a logo designed for him .... after he'd played 6 matches for our U-18s. :facepalm:

At least that worked out, and Garcia played a significant role in our promotion to the Premier League. Oh, wait.

Don't get me wrong, I wish this kid all the very best at the Albion, I hope he's still here in ten years time, and I will follow his every move with fastidious attention to detail, but we can do without the hyperbole and guff from his agent. Wouldn't surprise me to be seeing stories before the season's out linking him to Man Utd, Bayern, Real Madrid etc.....

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Can I be the first one here saying welcome, and I hope you have a successful career here in Sussex, we are not all moaning gits who are not looking at the bigger picture....

We are a good club and some fans do not realise we have to speculate to accumulate and hopefully you and we grow together.

UTA

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
No?

OK, glad to hear it.....ermmm.......evidence?

Happy to discuss your "evidence" that Albion are ignoring local talent.

Albion have taken on a total of 80 first-year scholars over the last 8 years.

You obviously know how many were Sussex lads. Let's see if your numbers match mine.......

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

At the time of this article, the extent of this kid's "career" was training (not playing, but training) with the U-17s and U-19s of a Norwegian third tier (south) side. And yet:-

Yeah, well maybe he needs to actually play a match against a men's team before we jump to that conclusion, eh?

Distinct overtones of our Spanish wunderkind Luis Garcia, whose agent had a logo designed for him .... after he'd played 6 matches for our U-18s. :facepalm:

At least that worked out, and Garcia played a significant role in our promotion to the Premier League. Oh, wait.

Don't get me wrong, I wish this kid all the very best at the Albion, I hope he's still here in ten years time, and I will follow his every move with fastidious attention to detail, but we can do without the hyperbole and guff from his agent. Wouldn't surprise me to be seeing stories before the season's out linking him to Man Utd, Bayern, Real Madrid etc.....

On that note, where is Garcia now, does he have a club? He just posts pictures of him and his girlfriend on Instagram, was meant to next big thing or was it all agent talk?

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
He just posts pictures of him and his girlfriend on Instagram, was meant to next big thing or was it all agent talk?

You've answered your own question there.

Remember how we first learned about Garcia? I'll remind you - Does anybody know why this kid is wearing an Albion shirt?

It was from a story in the Spanish press that both Barcelona and Real Madrid were after the 15-year-old kid (when he had, we now know, already signed for the Albion). Hmm, I wonder who the source for that story was?

I sincerely hope Mr Gwargis' talent and application are sufficient to make us all forget about his agent's verbal diarrhea.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Name one famous world class player who plays for Brighton?

Not sure what your point is. Someone suggested you don't get world class Scandinavian players when quite clearly you do. Just because none of them have played for us doesn't mean we can't keep looking for one?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Happy to discuss your "evidence" that Albion are ignoring local talent.

Albion have taken on a total of 80 first-year scholars over the last 8 years.

You obviously know how many were Sussex lads. Let's see if your numbers match mine.......

I appreciate your knowledge, and your input AZ Gull - though how the f*** you get it all in Phoenix Arizona is beyond me! I've no idea how many local kids we've got on board at the very, very junior level, and I've no wish to cross swords with you, It is just a perception that our under U23s are about as cosmopolitan as our first team.
I know we'll never rule the football world with a team of local lads (like Celtic did in 1967) but I do wonder how many of the local kids will still be in the mix when it comes to moving on from the U23s (or even getting that far). Also, with the current premium on HGP players, to what extent are we taking a commercial opportunity in producing 'HGPs' (even though they're no more English than Mao Tse tung)?

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
You've answered your own question there.

Remember how we first learned about Garcia? I'll remind you - Does anybody know why this kid is wearing an Albion shirt?

It was from a story in the Spanish press that both Barcelona and Real Madrid were after the 15-year-old kid (when he had, we now know, already signed for the Albion). Hmm, I wonder who the source for that story was?

I sincerely hope Mr Gwargis' talent and application are sufficient to make us all forget about his agent's verbal diarrhea.

I remember the Barcalona and Real Madrid stuff it’s crazy an agent can just make up this stuff and it goes so far in today’s media.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I appreciate your knowledge, and your input AZ Gull - though how the f*** you get it all in Phoenix Arizona is beyond me! I've no idea how many local kids we've got on board at the very, very junior level, and I've no wish to cross swords with you, It is just a perception that our under U23s are about as cosmopolitan as our first team.
I know we'll never rule the football world with a team of local lads (like Celtic did in 1967) but I do wonder how many of the local kids will still be in the mix when it comes to moving on from the U23s (or even getting that far). Also, with the current premium on HGP players, to what extent are we taking a commercial opportunity in producing 'HGPs' (even though they're no more English than Mao Tse tung)?

I do understand the point you are making. As someone who is Sussex born and bred myself, I'd love to see a succession of local youngsters coming through the system. It's easy to forget that we have two who are regular first team players and one who played for England U-19s at the EUROs this summer. There are probably more in the U-23s than you realise.

I'm simply not in a position to know whether we are ignoring local talent at the expense of foreigners; I'm aware of some people who believe that (and one who has posted frequently to that effect, on here, in the past). It wouldn't make any sense to me that local lad Tony Bloom would allow that to happen, but who am I to say?

What I do know is that consistently in recent years more than half of the new scholars each year are either Sussex-born lads, or lads who have been in the system for years. Without doing a full analysis on every other Premier League club, I would suspect that we are in line with most in that respect, and "better" than some.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I do understand the point you are making. As someone who is Sussex born and bred myself, I'd love to see a succession of local youngsters coming through the system. It's easy to forget that we have two who are regular first team players and one who played for England U-19s at the EUROs this summer. There are probably more in the U-23s than you realise.

I'm simply not in a position to know whether we are ignoring local talent at the expense of foreigners; I'm aware of some people who believe that (and one who has posted frequently to that effect, on here, in the past). It wouldn't make any sense to me that local lad Tony Bloom would allow that to happen, but who am I to say?

What I do know is that consistently in recent years more than half of the new scholars each year are either Sussex-born lads, or lads who have been in the system for years. Without doing a full analysis on every other Premier League club, I would suspect that we are in line with most in that respect, and "better" than some.
Fair enough - as I said, I'm not trying to start an argument. I guess we'll both have to see how many 'real' HGPs get through (as opposed to commercial opportunities, as in 'They're technically HGPs now') get through. I know what I hope for - but who knows what will happen.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc

It is I think, a matter of whether the Sussex lads are good enough to cut it at the best levels. It's all well and good taking only local kids but if none of them will ever make it what's the point?

But as a counter point here, four of the most promising of our U23s are from Sussex. Cox is from Portslade, Sanders is from Horsham, Maguire Drew from Crawley and Tilley from Billingshurst. They have all managed to climb the levels of the academy even with outside competition.

Most of the rest of the English contingent have been picked up from around the south, for example Walton is from Cornwall, White from Poole, Alzate from London.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc

Say what you want about Garcia's agent but he got him a move to Sevilla, despite not standing out particularly for little old Brighton.

Also reminds me of David Ajiboye aka "the next Finidi George". Who just signed for Worthing after being released in the summer.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Fair enough - as I said, I'm not trying to start an argument. I guess we'll both have to see how many 'real' HGPs get through (as opposed to commercial opportunities, as in 'They're technically HGPs now') get through. I know what I hope for - but who knows what will happen.

I think we’re currently in that slightly ‘inbetween’ period where our club and academy has moved on a lot quicker than maybe expected and therefore the quality of local players we have just started developing haven’t got to the U23 stage yet. Worth keeping in mind I guess that we haven’t been a grade 1 academy for that long so anyone of 17/18/19 now would have been hovered up by someone else years ago.

Will be very interesting to see where we are in 5 or 6 years time. Will still be cosmopolitan but maybe not to the same level we have now.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You try telling [MENTION=5101]BigGully[/MENTION] that

I have been consistent on this and I think you have missed my point, firstly you need to accept that we are not fishing in the same talent pool as the world's biggest clubs, we do not nor will we sign a Brazilian, German or Italian youth international captain anytime soon, so my point is why bother recruiting a faraway player that is unlikely to be any better than say a talented Sussex or English based player ?

Youth progression requires opportunity, support and favour, any new signing impacts on others already there, whether that be a newly formed commitment in terms of contract length that binds them to the coach for longer than others that then might trigger that coach to play him ahead of a similar talented youngster or a likely politicised situation where a senior academy manager or dominant scout then encourages the progression of one of 'his' youngsters which he hopes will then reflect well on him and strengthen his own position, it is rarely down to sheer ability.

It's naive not to think a policy to recruit from elsewhere doesn't have consequences (perhaps unintended) for players that aren't from elsewhere.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here