Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albiom's summer 18 transfer business

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Major Signings Hughton era (loans - more than handful of games)
Misses: Skalak
WTF? He played 31 times in our promotion winning campaign! He's not been good enough to get a place in the PL, but he helped get us promoted. And he only cost about £1.2m. Not a miss in my book.

SAC

May 21, 2014
That it's better to be on a sound financial footing in the Championship, than playing in the PL with the likes of Wolves, West Ham, Palace and Fulham, who only stayed there through paying huge wages and fees. Who will eventually be jealous of the Albion's prudent approach.

I don't think any fans will be jealous of a team being relegated whilst making a profit if their team stays in the Premier League.

Anyway, Albion are paying huge wages and fees.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
It's been a fantastic summer of business. The thing I think most of our fans are overlooking is we are trying to improve a squad who have already shown they are good enough to avoid relegation. This allows us to slowly adapt the starting line up as and when players are up to speed and ready to play, other squads don't have that luxury. I think we are stronger than Watford and much stronger than when we went to Vicarage road last season.

After this summers business I'm hopeful of breaking into the top 10. But expecting not to have to endure the end of season relegation fight

Ben Fisher in today's Guardian agrees with you.

Brighton ready to rival top 10

Brighton are seemingly only heading in one direction. An aggressive recruitment drive this summer, funded by their fiercely ambitious owner, Tony Bloom, has paved the way for Chris Hughton’s side to build on their 15th-placed finish last season. They appear to have solved the reliance on Glenn Murray too, by adding Florin Andone, Yves Bissouma and Alireza Jahanbakhsh, the latter for a club-record £17m, eclipsing the £14m fee they paid for Jürgen Locadia – the striker who could miss the start of the season with a groin injury – in January. Promoted Wolves and Fulham have been tipped to creep into the top 10 but Brighton have plans to make huge strides this season too. How Watford, a mishmash squad led by the easily forgettable Javi Gracia – the Pozzo family’s 10th manager since 2012 – must pine for such firepower. Short on striking options, they could be about to come unstuck.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
While its hard to accurately asses our business as most of us don't know a great deal about our signings, we do appear to have addressed some of our deficiencies from last season. We have strengthened both full backs positions, we lacked pace in transition, Bissouma appears to offer that, competition for RW, we now have Ali, Striker options? We now have several. Only places we appear weaker is in cover for goalkeeper and central defence but our 1st choice are the same as last year with a PL season behind them. 1st XI will be stronger, competition for places will be tougher in most areas. Division is better for sure, but so are we...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yep. Got that one wrong
I realised after I posted that a few others had also posted some Skalak love. Anyway, it just highlights your point that not many are failures.

Playing devils advocate I guess it's harder to get hits when in the PL than in the Championship.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't think any fans will be jealous of a team being relegated whilst making a profit if their team stays in the Premier League.

Anyway, Albion are paying huge wages and fees.

Fees up to £17m and weekly wages of up to £50k are huge in most peoples books.

Wages on a different level in the region of £80k to £120k are being paid by Palace, West Ham, Wolves and Fulham to the likes of Schurrle, Meyer, Sakho, Serri and Portugese internationals. IMO those clubs are trying to instantly buy PL top half.

The Albion tread a more reasoned approach.

I’d love if it went belly up at a couple of those cocky clubs.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Jahanbakhsh £17m
Bissouma £15m
Bernardo £9m
Andone £5.25m
Button £4m
Burn £3m
Tau £2.8m
Balogun free
Steele free

Total £56m.

Our squad has been improved, with several weaknesses addressed. The club's approach in getting value, is IMO a better strategy, than the lazy approach of several rivals who operate cheque book scouting.

For a split second there, I thought we’d resigned Lee Steele

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
It's a bit long winded though, and the latter option is just a shortened version, which has been around longer than any of us.

As Americans might say, I could care less...

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Ben Fisher in today's Guardian agrees with you.

Brighton ready to rival top 10

Brighton are seemingly only heading in one direction. An aggressive recruitment drive this summer, funded by their fiercely ambitious owner, Tony Bloom, has paved the way for Chris Hughton’s side to build on their 15th-placed finish last season. They appear to have solved the reliance on Glenn Murray too, by adding Florin Andone, Yves Bissouma and Alireza Jahanbakhsh, the latter for a club-record £17m, eclipsing the £14m fee they paid for Jürgen Locadia – the striker who could miss the start of the season with a groin injury – in January. Promoted Wolves and Fulham have been tipped to creep into the top 10 but Brighton have plans to make huge strides this season too. How Watford, a mishmash squad led by the easily forgettable Javi Gracia – the Pozzo family’s 10th manager since 2012 – must pine for such firepower. Short on striking options, they could be about to come unstuck.

We're going to get hammered, aren't we!

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
So you care a lot? It's just a shortened version, don't be angry.

The shortened version should be “The proof of the pudding...” the common mistake of “the proof is in the pudding” makes no sense.
Your response perfectly illustrates how (deliberately in my case there) misusing a phrase can create the wrong meaning (or make no sense)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The shortened version should be “The proof of the pudding...” the common mistake of “the proof is in the pudding” makes no sense.
I disagree, 'The proof of the pudding' wouldn't make any sense at all, that would be saying half a saying without any thought, not shortening the saying. "The proof of the pudding is in the eating" means you can only tell if something is good/has worked when you've tested it, but it doesn't roll off the tongue, so the shorted version has been used for 100 years. It's not a mistake, it's an accepted shortened version. And it's correct too, the proof is in the pudding, you just have to eat it to know the result. It's like if you'd said the proof for my theory is in this book. You wouldn't have to say the proof for theory is in the reading of this book.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I disagree, 'The proof of the pudding' wouldn't make any sense at all, that would be saying half a saying without any thought, not shortening the saying. "The proof of the pudding is in the eating" means you can only tell if something is good/has worked when you've tested it, but it doesn't roll off the tongue, so the shorted version has been used for 100 years. It's not a mistake, it's an accepted shortened version. And it's correct too, the proof is in the pudding, you just have to eat it to know the result. It's like if you'd said the proof for my theory is in this book. You wouldn't have to say the proof for theory is in the reading of this book.

Correct, and succinctly put. Not to be confused with the proofing of bread.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East

I take it you’d be left scratching your head if someone said “Every cloud...”?

As with “could care less”, Americans running with a bit of mangled English for a phrase isn’t evidence that it is correct

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I take it you’d be left scratching your head if someone said “Every cloud...”?

As with “could care less”, Americans running with a bit of mangled English for a phrase isn’t evidence that it is correct
I've explained why 'the proof is in the pudding' works. You don't like it. Ok.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
I've explained why 'the proof is in the pudding' works. You don't like it. Ok.

The phrase is suggesting the proof is in the eating, not in the pudding though.

I do find it amusing that 10 mins before the curtain raiser, we’re splitting hairs about a bit of English. :)

Here’s to 3 points and deciding I’m right about puddings later :cheers:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The phrase is suggesting the proof is in the eating, not in the pudding though.
The phrase really means the proof is in the result. You mix ingredients together and bake them, and the result is the pudding. The pudding is the result of the work, and that's where the proof is. Yes, you can complete the saying and say you should eat it to be sure (although Mary Berry and Paul could tell you whether or not the result is good by cutting your pudding, prodding it and smelling it), but you don't need to spell it out to explain what you mean.

I do find it amusing that 10 mins before the curtain raiser, we’re splitting hairs about a bit of English. :)
I've not even clicked on a stream yet, will do so now.

Here’s to 3 points and deciding I’m right about puddings later :cheers:
Hopefully 3 points and we can forget all about this random debate :cheers:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here