Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier league pundits relegation picks

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I see a rigid back four, or back six, and any combination in front of them. I can only guess at who will play with Dale Stephens in front of the back four? I hope Bruno starts!

We will do well to be off the bottom the end of August, with West Ham.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
......and one of them, I'm not sure who, also predicted Yves Bissouma to be the signing of the season!

Of course, this is all nonsense. Wolves, Fulham and Cardiff will go straight back down. Everybody knows that. It's in the rules, it always happens that way!

He will be

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Cardiff and Warnock will probably enjoy being written off by everyone.

I'd go

Cardiif , Hudds then between us / Watford / Fulham
I'll be shocked if Fulham are in the mix-they are trying to keep up with Wolves with all of their signings. Plus they are still trying to get more business done before 5pm.

It's going to be very tough this season for us.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Teams that get relegated usually are:

1. Teams that got promoted on the back of team spirit and hard work and can't make the jump - looks like Cardiff
2. Recently-promoted teams that stayed up first time round on the back of team spirit but can't make this last a second season - could be either or both of Hudds and BHA
3. Previously settled PL teams that lose a few games early on, panic, sack the manager and lose cohesiveness / togetherness - we see at least one of these every season - Saints, Watford, Leicester, Palace could all fall be this team
4. Previously settled PL teams whose big name signings don't work, or suffer an injury crisis, struggle on, but eventually sack a previously popular manager in a last-ditch attempt to stay up - could apply to Burnley, Bournemouth, Newcastle or even Brighton.

Teams that generally stay up include ones built in the mold of their manager who has done it with that club several times - I don't think Burnley or Bournemouth are in trouble as long as they keep Howe and Dyche, and Hudds and Newcastle could also fall into that bracket; as well as newly promoted teams who supplement their promotion spirit with good signings, Fulham and Wolves are as good as safe in my opinion.

For me its Cardiff, Huddersfield and Southampton - I just don't understand Saints transfer business this summer ..... but possibly also Watford - who is going to score their goals??? - and maybe this is the year that Bournemouth's time in the sun comes to an end........ but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little concerned about us

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Surprised that no one has mentioned Leicester...........

Weak squad and even with Maguire staying I think they will struggle..

also SLCC- Naff signings and besides we all need a larf now and then..

TNBA

TTF

Because Puel is French for Pulis.

He got Saints to 8th and then took Leicester from 18th to 9th. Ignore the dour football, that's results right there. If they succumb to over-expectant fans and fire him, and Vardy gets crocked for the season, then maybe they'll be in trouble.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Why? Whilst l'll readily admit that the way they set up is very different to us, they do play to their strengths, have good players and a very astute manager in Sean Dyche.

Yes, Dyche is a top manager, we do have SOME good players but not ENOUGH of them. Our tight-fisted board have left the squad painfully-thin with lack of depth in midfield and out wide. We've enough defensively and probably up front but the lack of numbers in midfield is a worry.

We'll be playing for 1-0s and 0-0s even more than in recent seasons.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes, Dyche is a top manager, we do have SOME good players but not ENOUGH of them. Our tight-fisted board have left the squad painfully-thin with lack of depth in midfield and out wide. We've enough defensively and probably up front but the lack of numbers in midfield is a worry.

I sense some disillusion and bed wetting, you would have been very at home here a few seasons ago :lolol:

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Doesn't feel like a safe bet to me. We're progressing nicely, but other teams are progressing too. The teams that were making a mess of last season (like Palace, Wet Sham, Everton) are all in a better state this season. Wolves aren't likely to go down with what they've been spending (and the fact they were decent last season).

I'm predicting another season of stress, and desperately seeking points.

I totally agree. I think the one difference is I'm yet to build any personal expectations for the season, as I didn't last year. I know it'll be tough to stay up, despite our outlay, so I will just enjoy the ride. Football's even more fun that way!

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Andy Brassell, European football guru, thinks we have recruited well and should improve on 15th. His opinion is one of the few that really matters regarding our transfer business as he is probably the only one who has regularly seen our new recruits play.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

You could have done yourself a favour and let Aberdeen knock you out of the cup .....any suggestions old gravel voice is a tad disillusioned with your board ..the club must be rolling in cash surely

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Andy Brassell, European football guru, thinks we have recruited well and should improve on 15th. His opinion is one of the few that really matters regarding our transfer business as he is probably the only one who has regularly seen our new recruits play.

has to be said that the people who predict us to go down seem to do so on the basis that they haven't heard of our new signings and therefore they must be weak. We'll finish somewhere between 10 and 14.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Guardian journo tipped us to vie for a top 10 finish:

Brighton ready to rival top 10

Brighton are seemingly only heading in one direction. An aggressive recruitment drive this summer, funded by their fiercely ambitious owner, Tony Bloom, has paved the way for Chris Hughton’s side to build on their 15th-placed finish last season. They appear to have solved the reliance on Glenn Murray too, by adding Florin Andone, Yves Bissouma and Alireza Jahanbakhsh, the latter for a club-record £17m, eclipsing the £14m fee they paid for Jürgen Locadia – the striker who could miss the start of the season with a groin injury – in January. Promoted Wolves and Fulham have been tipped to creep into the top 10 but Brighton have plans to make huge strides this season too. How Watford, a mishmash squad led by the easily forgettable Javi Gracia – the Pozzo family’s 10th manager since 2012 – must pine for such firepower. Short on striking options, they could be about to come unstuck.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...things-to-look-out-for-on-the-opening-weekend

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
You could have done yourself a favour and let Aberdeen knock you out of the cup .....any suggestions old gravel voice is a tad disillusioned with your board ..the club must be rolling in cash surely

Plenty of cash - next profit to be announced circa £58 million for 2017/18 following on from a profit of £30 million the previous season.

I think Dyche is very frustrated (especially not getting Dawson & Rodriguez from West Brom) but he has known all along he is working with risk-averse employers who are unlikely to change and, if they do change, it will be very gradually. Burnley could do with a sugar daddy like Max Demin or Tony Bloom, but BFC don't seem to want outside investors.

Maybe Dyche secretly likes it when more obstacles are put in his way - if Burnley do well, he loves lapping up the praise. He would not get that if he had £100 million plus to spend like Fulham and still only finished 15th or 16th.

As for Europe, I think Thursday will be our last game - although we did well to draw 0-0 in Istanbul, the Turks are much better technically and their wily coach has already sussed it out that Burnley do NOT like dominating possession. I predict the Turks will sit back and hit us on the break on Thursday....0-2. For the Burnley fans who want to progress, our best hope is a win on penalties or to sneak a goal from a set-piece.

A trip to Olympiakos on a Thursday night in the next round would do us no favours before a Sunday game against Fulham at Craven Cottage.

As for the group stages.....NO THANKS. Six matches and you are still only in the last 32 if you qualify. Unless you can win the trophy, I don't see the point of going through all the group stage. Can you see Burnley beating Chelsea or Arsenal in a two-legged tie?

I thought it was telling that Feyenoord and Zenit St Petersburg both entered the competition on Thursday and both suffered 0-4 away defeats against "so-called smaller" opponents. Suggests they do not fancy a long Euro campaign affecting their results.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Plenty of cash - next profit to be announced circa £58 million for 2017/18 following on from a profit of £30 million the previous season.

I think Dyche is very frustrated (especially not getting Dawson & Rodriguez from West Brom) but he has known all along he is working with risk-averse employers who are unlikely to change and, if they do change, it will be very gradually. Burnley could do with a sugar daddy like Max Demin or Tony Bloom, but BFC don't seem to want outside investors.

Maybe Dyche secretly likes it when more obstacles are put in his way - if Burnley do well, he loves lapping up the praise. He would not get that if he had £100 million plus to spend like Fulham and still only finished 15th or 16th.

As for Europe, I think Thursday will be our last game - although we did well to draw 0-0 in Istanbul, the Turks are much better technically and their wily coach has already sussed it out that Burnley do NOT like dominating possession. I predict the Turks will sit back and hit us on the break on Thursday....0-2. For the Burnley fans who want to progress, our best hope is a win on penalties or to sneak a goal from a set-piece.

A trip to Olympiakos on a Thursday night in the next round would do us no favours before a Sunday game against Fulham at Craven Cottage.

As for the group stages.....NO THANKS. Six matches and you are still only in the last 32 if you qualify. Unless you can win the trophy, I don't see the point of going through all the group stage. Can you see Burnley beating Chelsea or Arsenal in a two-legged tie?

I thought it was telling that Feyenoord and Zenit St Petersburg both entered the competition on Thursday and both suffered 0-4 away defeats against "so-called smaller" opponents. Suggests they do not fancy a long Euro campaign affecting their results.

Still least you didn’t sign JR otherwise i’d Have had to spend the whole home game booing :whistle:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Maybe Dyche secretly likes it when more obstacles are put in his way - if Burnley do well, he loves lapping up the praise. He would not get that if he had £100 million plus to spend like Fulham and still only finished 15th or 16th..

Maybe not, it doesn’t seem to apply to Smug Eddie and the Pluckies, perennial media darlings

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here