Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Martin Montoya

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I'm still fuming re the bbc especially 5 live utterly ignoring our transfer(s), to talk about Fulham and Palace... especially Fulham. So we're bringing in a RB from Valencia but apparently it's bigger news that Palace are signing a Championship player... hmmmm...

Honestly, they kept talking about deals on the way around 5-6pm, knowing full well where we stood, and yet ignored us completely.

The Fulham love in is/was excruciating... I'm seriously in need of a sick bag.

We're still miles under the radar, miles. I actually think the beeb consider us a league 1 team made good... aw bless, little Brighton playing with the likes of Palace and the perennial world beaters Fulham... JESUS wept!

I am constantly amazed why posters worry about media coverage. Why does it bother you? So what if we are ignored; all the better IMO when we quietly achieve. Keeps expectation at a modest level, keeps us below radar. Sure TB, PB and CH don't get high blood pressure about it, so why should we?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There's a very serious point to be had here which will be the same whether or not you're pro Brexit. Tony Bloom is a gambler and our strategy has long time been to recruit from Europe. Brexit COULD make that more difficult. In future seasons we might need to get work permits or visas for European players. We might not be able to use the "Percy Tau" route to get players experience and / or papers. And if the exchange rate goes south then deals with clubs in the Eurozone may become just as bad value as those with UK clubs. It's not a political point but I believe there's an element in our window of us getting our European business in while we can. It even varies within a window - for example Andone represents a far better Forex based deal for us than Montoya has.

Political and constitutional decisions have impacts far and wide and football is no exception. IF - and we all know there's a proper thread for going in to detail on that - the above comes true then we may find this is one of the most savvy windows we've seen Brighton complete.

Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell. Fair post though.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Whilst this is all true, I did genuinely make my comment in jest.
There was a question along these lines at the Forum this evening. Barbs said we don't know: the government don't know so we don't know.

Agreed, we don't know, and I don't want to take the thread off down a Cul De Sac, but we'd hardly advertise our strategy if we have done analysis in this area regarding its likelyhood (which is all you can bet on after all). Even if it's a red herring we've certainly done more business than I was expecting and some of those are very niche deals.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I honestly tried but I couldn't find one positive comment on twitter for Montoya.....

If this is to be completed, it would be the worst thing in an otherwise stellar recruitment campaign for Fulham, the boy just flat out does not know how to play football, really really over hyped awful player.

I remember him at Barcelona, what a flop. There was a game when Thiago & Xavi flat out refused to pass to him, even when he was the only player available to receive a pass. They'd rather lose the ball than pass to him.

I think there is a consensus between most Valencia fans that Martín Montoya is the weak spot. A new right back is well needed.

Martin Montoya had a total nightmare yesterday. Gave away two penalties, and weak defending in Marcelo’s goal. Valencia should invest in a new rightback if they qualify for the UCL next season. First priority should still be signing Kondogbia and Guedes permanently though.

We can't even offer Martin Montoya as a sacrifice this time ffs https://t.co/FdsDo0zMdI

Very bad. Martin Montoya makes me wish Antonio Barragan and Joao Cancelo was still on the squad.

Much-needed signing for valencia. Right back was a huge weak point last season, Martin Montoya was error prone and Ruben Vezo could only offer anything on the defensive end of things when played out of position. https://t.co/rbViy1qcOI

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

But apart from all that, is there anything positve about Montoya's game?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm still fuming re the bbc especially 5 live utterly ignoring our transfer(s), to talk about Fulham and Palace... especially Fulham. So we're bringing in a RB from Valencia but apparently it's bigger news that Palace are signing a Championship player... hmmmm...

Honestly, they kept talking about deals on the way around 5-6pm, knowing full well where we stood, and yet ignored us completely.

The Fulham love in is/was excruciating... I'm seriously in need of a sick bag.

We're still miles under the radar, miles. I actually think the beeb consider us a league 1 team made good... aw bless, little Brighton playing with the likes of Palace and the perennial world beaters Fulham... JESUS wept!

#undertheradar :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Agreed, we don't know, and I don't want to take the thread off down a Cul De Sac, but we'd hardly advertise our strategy if we have done analysis in this area regarding its likelyhood (which is all you can bet on after all). Even if it's a red herring we've certainly done more business than I was expecting and some of those are very niche deals.

Lime and corriander

nose.gif

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Where've you been the last 3 months? The entire national media including the BBC, have spent the entire summer in a love-in with the transfer business and managers of West Ham, Everton, Wolves and Fulham. Every writer, presenter and pundit purrs over their brilliant seaon to come. Top half stated as a near cert, knocking on the door of CL.

The thing that hacks me off royally is this painting of Fulham and Wolves as surprise packages, having spent fortunes. These are not plucky clubs fighting the odds, they are heavily leveraged investments.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Exactly.

White will start in the League Cup and get valuble experince in the first team squad. In fact our cup team this year will be very exciting, would love us to go all the way in one of the cups.
Oh ffs! The recruitment team and CH haven't decided to go without a 4th.CB. We've got one - he's called Ben White. Perhaps they don't know enough to recognise the #tooyoungtooinexperienced expert view - but good for them I say. That tired old mantra gets trolled out far too often.
I truly hope Dunk and Duffy have an injury/suspension free season, and maintain their form from last season - but part of me really hopes that a crisis arises and we have to try desperate measures (like playing a teenage Gary Stevens alongside an old warhorse recruited from Blackpool reserves as our CB pairing in our previous spell in the top flight) and all the old 'too young' buffers have to eat their words!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
The thing that hacks me off royally is this painting of Fulham and Wolves as surprise packages, having spent fortunes. These are not plucky clubs fighting the odds, they are heavily leveraged investments.

As opposed to Cardiff, who have received next to no media attention. I actually think Warnock has done a magnificent job there, given their relative budget. They are even more under the radar than we are!

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Apologies if we've established this, but is he any good? I remember him playing for Barça and am very familiar with his name, but I'm not going to pretend I've ever noticed him playing.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Instead of a chant we could all quote the line from The Princess Bride in dodgy Spanish accents...

"Hello. My name is Martin Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

The full narrated line being...That night, Inigo joins Westley to fight Humperdinck, and finally confronts his father's killer with the words he had waited half his life to say: "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Apologies if we've established this, but is he any good? I remember him playing for Barça and am very familiar with his name, but I'm not going to pretend I've ever noticed him playing.

Never seen him either, but just been out for a drink with my Valencia season ticket holder mate, and his son and him rate him very highly and are gutted to see him leave, as are many of their fans. Not sure where one of the comments previously about Valencia and Barca fans hating him comes from???

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Was that really necessary?

Yes. It was a legitimate reply to other posts, all conducted in good nature, and validated by approval. 'Banter' - a much abused term but appropriate in this context - there was no malice on either side. Sorry, you'll need to deal with it.

OK, if yrou like I should have put 'Pax' at the end of my post too - happy now?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here