Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] U23's

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
I could probably PM @AZGull and get the answer but it does appear that we are spending amazing amounts of money on the U23's (I'm certainly not saying we are skimping on the first team), so is this part of a long term plan for prem dominance or is it insurance against getting relegated?

I'm asking for friend.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I could probably PM @AZGull and get the answer but it does appear that we are spending amazing amounts of money on the U23's (I'm certainly not saying we are skimping on the first team), so is this part of a long term plan for prem dominance or is it insurance against getting relegated?

I'm asking for friend.

Staying up or relegation is not the main issue.
A lot will be down to HGP status. Any player who has played three years before the cut off date qualifies as a HGP, irrespective of where they were born, or spent the majority of their early career.
Look at the rigmarole we’re going through to get a HGP CB this window, and you might be able to see why

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
The former. Don’t spend that much on infrastructure and players to bob along in the championship.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
We’re slowly becoming the Chelsea of the South Coast - buying talented youngsters to loan out, then to sell on at an inflated profit. At the end of the day, it’s additional revenue for the club, we can’t live on gate receipts and matchday spend at The Amex.

I do wonder who the next ‘Lewis Dunk’ will come out of the academy?! I hear Max Saunders and George Cox are very highly talented youngsters who could make the next big step up.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
also look at them as investments. They won't all make it, some will be sold (at a profit) and some hopefully will make it to the first team.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We’re slowly becoming the Chelsea of the South Coast - buying talented youngsters to loan out, then to sell on at an inflated profit. At the end of the day, it’s additional revenue for the club, we can’t live on gate receipts and matchday spend at The Amex.

I do wonder who the next ‘Lewis Dunk’ will come out of the academy?! I hear Max Saunders and George Cox are very highly talented youngsters who could make the next big step up.

I thought our biggest source of revenue was tv money now?

We are selling on our youngsters out of the development squad. We're nowhere near Southampton's level, but it is happening.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here