Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Swimming pool annoying things

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I try to go swimming when I can down my local pool.

One thing that infuriates me is when you're swimming lengths and you're just about to
turn and someone who's been waiting at the same end for ages and is a lot slower than you
suddenly decides to push off in front of you. The other thing is the "coffee table" - two people chatting
side by side when there no room to do it.

Am I being an over-reactive twonk, need to get out more or am I not alone on this?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Someone coming the other way doing breastroke and not holding off a kick whilst they pass you.

I put my legs together for one stroke to avoid clonking them in the stomach.

The same can't be said the other way.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
The bloke at the end of the pool that stops you from doing a full length as he is resting, but manspreading so you can't get to the end.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
That awful stuff they add to the water-tastes just like chicken.:)

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
One clown down our local used to overtake underneath you (scared the hell out of me). After he did it once,
I swore that if he did it again I'd give him a bl*ody good kick.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I wonder if they play cricket and cycle too?

Could be the same people f**king everyone off all the time...

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Should have titled the tread Bell Cheeses in the pool but otherwise agree with most of the sentiments.

There’s no point labelling lanes slow/medium/fast because people are inherently shit at deciding their pace and you always get road blocks.

What I hate more than anything are the people with poor front crawl technique who splash everyone indiscriminately ignoring the fact they’re creating a worse wake than the QE2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
This thread is very apt considering it was only Monday I signed up for a membership and Lyme Regis Municipal Swimming Baths. I went this morning for my first pre-work swim and the place was heaving. I was dissapointed this below sign was no longer clearly displayed meaning the local hoodlums can get away with pretty much anything they like now, and particularly when an elderly couple in their 60's exchanged a kiss as they left the pool area.

post-1143-0-30407800-1376592886.jpg

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
There is so much I hate about swimming pools, I have no idea where to start :

- Anyone doing Breast Stroke in the fast lane should be hung, very slowly, with Piano Wire unless their name is Adam Peaty
- Women, usually ample ones, who complain their hair gets wet in. In a swimming pool. Really?
- As per the OP. People who don't stop at the end when they are slower than you are. What goes through their mind is a mystery.
- Anyone turning theatrically when they get splash in their eyes. Buy goggles you tight gits.
- The thicko Lifeguards who watch all this go on and do absolutely nothing.

There are many, many more where you should be legally allowed to drown anyone doing these things.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wonder if they play cricket and cycle too?

Could be the same people f**king everyone off all the time...

It might be, I hate the people that want to swim lengths while I'm doing widths.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Think that you nailed the main ones for me in the OP, but otherwise my annoyance generally relates for being too quick for swimming in the medium lane but too slow to be comfortable in the fast lane but that's no necessarily anything to do with other people, other than the people in the medium who should really be in the slow! Not great to spend your whole session looking at the bottom of someone else's feet!

The one that really frustrates me is people that are clearly slower and must realise pushing off in front of you when they could wait. I'm always hyper aware if I'm slowing someone down and stop at the end of lengths to let them past.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Should have titled the tread Bell Cheeses in the pool but otherwise agree with most of the sentiments.

There’s no point labelling lanes slow/medium/fast because people are inherently shit at deciding their pace and you always get road blocks.

What I hate more than anything are the people with poor front crawl technique who splash everyone indiscriminately ignoring the fact they’re creating a worse wake than the QE2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, have to disagree here :

- Lanes absolutely have to be graded. If Doris breaststroke is holding up the fast lane, she should be asked to move lanes by a lifeguard who is watching what is going on (and then drowned if she refuses to move with all life insurance benefits cancelled). There will be blocks and people need to be realistic if it is busy but 6 people should easily fit in a 25m, 2 man lane if people are aware of quicker people around them and are reasonably evenly paced.
- Front crawl will create a bit of wash and splash unless there are decent wave breakers in the pool which there rarely are nothwithstanding the really bad technique which causes all sorts of splash.

As for the Butterfly moan by [MENTION=36353]schmunk[/MENTION] it is a very useful tool to rid people from the pool if you really have had enough. Personally, I only tend to swim it with a clear lane or at a master session. That or I've really got the hump with Lane discipline, end huggers and fast lane breaststrokers.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I get the impression we have some people on here who take their lane swimming very seriously.

Yes, I'm training for a 10K swim. Luckily, most of the swimming I do is outdoor or at a Masters session but it is incredibly annoying that you can't have a proper pool swim sometimes because people are in the wrong lane or are just being plain rude. Imagine training for a run where you couldn't go past someone half as slow as you or a bike ride where you were stuck forever behind a kid in 1st gear with no ability to overtake? That and only having an hour window in the pool in any given day where you could realistically train.

A well lifeguarded pool creates a better session for everyone.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here