Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football without heading the ball

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
so no development of heading skills, no long ball passes or goal kicks. corners are probably out, free kicks in the final third of little threat.

dont necessarily say thats all bad, noting the consequences.

I really am talking about the very young ages though. I see no reason why, at 'training', the kids can't do very simple drills to practice the skills mentioned above (apart from heading).

Stand two kids 20 yards from each other, each in a square of cones. Make them pass the ball to each other with the aim to be the ball landing in the other opponents square. I see that far more beneficial than a kids hoofing it in a match and all running after it.

Another one. Set up two cones in a direct line in front of the kids. Make them practice curling the ball round the first cone . Basic corner and free kick technique.

Then, in a practice game, you actually work on keeping the ball on the floor. First touch. awareness, passing accuracy.

I really think very little would be lost from development, in fact I think you'd see an improvement. Knowing you can't just panic and hoof makes you play.

And, obviously, your not exposing a childs weak skull to needless heading of a football.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I’m not that fussed about the kicking aspect of the game either to be honest.

I propose that players just gently roll the ball about using their hands and, at the end of the game, everyone is declared the winner.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Exactly. Shearer had his brain tested on his documentary on the subject and, despite heading the ball repeatedly during training during his career and obviously a great deal durimg games, his brain showed no signs of damage.

Edit: of course I know my evidence is of one player - I just think there needs to be a lot more research done with modern footballers, although i guess in terms of dementia you can't really conduct research yet. Tricky one

A bit like global warming. I looked at temperature tables recently and the current increase looks frightening if you look at the last couple of hundred years, but it looks like a trivial blip if you go back thousands. That said, there is plenty of science that explains how greenhouse gases are made and what they do so only a mug would advocate burning piles of rubber tyres and polystyrene (like we did back in the 60s). There is enough evidence already that heading an old wet leather ball is risky. But as others have said, the modern lighter ball may be much less so. Regarding taking heading out of the game, it is out of some junior games already. Free kick if ball hoofed to head height (riochets ignored). My guess is the rules won't change yet and that the lighter balls will be found to be less dangerous, perhaps associated with a decline in hoof ball. Those ones from the past though were brutal when wet. I was almost knocked out by one in Easthill Park, Portslade, in the 60s.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In five-a-side football, isn't the ball required to be kept below a certain height anyway (well below head height)?

I agree the modern light-weight ball is likely to be less concussive than the old leather ones (or basket balls which were favoured at my school - they were not only heavy, but they stung too! - but perhaps a change to reduce the amount of heading in the game, thereby reducing the risks? Only allow heading in the penalty areas.
This would keep the exciting elements of heading the ball, corners, free kicks, etc., but without necessarily spoiling the game - it would for instance stop stalemate matches descending into a boring game of head tennis. That wouldn't be a bad thing either, IMHO.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Children should be taught the skill of heading from a young age. It’s part of the game.

In youth football the ball they use is the issue. Though they should be using a ball proportionate to their size and strength.

Even if they use a size 3, (in most kids clubs it’s mostly 4 and 5) the ball isn’t much lighter than an adults ball. If you watch kids mucking around in a park, they’re mostly using adults balls, because that’s what they’ve been bought.

I’ve got my boy a futsal type thing, it doesn’t bounce around that much, but even if it does its size and weight are in proportion to his size and strength so he can head it without risk.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
The question of the extent of proof required before changes are made is an interesting one - applies to dangerous trades / industries, sports, environment etc.

I really recommend you listen to this:
http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/22-burden-of-proof

Malcolm Gladwell looks into burden of proof before changes are made, looking at the coal industry and NFL. It's only 40 minutes or so, available on your normal podcast apps (search for the 'Revisionist History' podcast). Really interesting podcast.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here