Or players could wear hats.

One could very easily imagine Palarse wearing this:

palace hat.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And how many of those players developed dementia? As already stated the key is what the evidence says about heading modern footballs.

I wonder how many times BG has headed an old wet leather ball......my guess would be lots of times.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
need to first establish if there is a significant additional risk from football verses the rest of the population, and secondly ban boxing at all levels, before we talk of banning heading in football.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Absurd, modern footballs are like beach balls.

I presume a bunch of other sports are going to get banned completely then?

Football without heading will be dull as ****, no thank you.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
How many years have players been heading balls and think back to the days of soaking wet football and the likes of Alex Dawson

Yeah and people like Jeff Astle.

Jeff Astle who died of an 'industrial disease' caused by heading the ball so much.

I see absolutely no reason kids football should need to include heading. The whole aim at that age is to develop technique. Play ball under head height and 1, save unnecessary damage and 2 improve your football skills.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Many times and it hasnt affected me my mind and brain is still very alert.

Also, you don't head the ball even 1% of say, a professional footballing centre back.

Frankly you saying "'I'm fine" is the same as me claiming boxing is safe as I was in a fight once and I'm ok.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Presumably the bloke they interviewed has plenty of evidence that the modern lightweight balls are as potentially damaging as the old leather balls?

Doesn't have to be "as potentially damaging", just because things have improved does not automatically mean it has reached an acceptable level.

Research on concussions is pretty damaging for all sports where there is a regular blow to the head. Yes, there are other sports which carry a greater risk, and the "old days" of the heavy leather football that absorbed moisture carried a greater risk, but we should still be assessing whether the current dangers are an acceptable risk.

With have a duty of care to at least make players aware of the risks they are taking playing this game, and not just hide from the evidence. I saw the documentary with Alan Shearer, linked above, and I've also seen a read a lot about the issue in the NFL, and we simply do NOT take concussions seriously enough. We are only starting to get a realise that we need some sort of "concussion protocol" that is completely separate from a manager sending his player back out there because in his hopelessly inadequate opinion "he seems alright." We saw at Chelsea under Mourinho the pressure Managers exert over in-house Doctors to do what they want and not what is medically right for the player. That mindset has to change.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yeah and people like Jeff Astle.

Jeff Astle who died of an 'industrial disease' caused by heading the ball so much.

I see absolutely no reason kids football should need to include heading. The whole aim at that age is to develop technique. Play ball under head height and 1, save unnecessary damage and 2 improve your football skills.

so no development of heading skills, no long ball passes or goal kicks. corners are probably out, free kicks in the final third of little threat.

dont necessarily say thats all bad, noting the consequences.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Presumably the bloke they interviewed has plenty of evidence that the modern lightweight balls are as potentially damaging as the old leather balls?

Exactly. Shearer had his brain tested on his documentary on the subject and, despite heading the ball repeatedly during training during his career and obviously a great deal durimg games, his brain showed no signs of damage.

Edit: of course I know my evidence is of one player - I just think there needs to be a lot more research done with modern footballers, although i guess in terms of dementia you can't really conduct research yet. Tricky one

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here