Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] James Tavernier swoop?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If you had a full back on the bench who was a better attacking option, AND didn't lose anything regards defensive duties, wouldn't you just play him from the start :shrug:

No, not if as we do we set out defensively and would only revert to that in desperation. and needing a goal as has been shown in the games this season when Montoya has been preferred to Bruno. Using your view point Bruno would have played all games when not injured.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No, not if as we do we set out defensively and would only revert to that in desperation. and needing a goal as has been shown in the games this season when Montoya has been preferred to Bruno. Using your view point Bruno would have played all games when not injured.

That depends if you view them as equals defensively.

If you do, then yes, you'd play Bruno without question.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Yes if it gives us more attacking option without taking away our defensive duties eg had we been losing 1-0 v West Ham as they were us.

Great, and what will our second sub be - a central defender who's good at scoring from corners (to benefit from the wonderful delivery by the other sub)?

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Sell Schelotto, buy Tavernier, let Bruno gracefully retire at some point. Then Tavernier and Montoya can battle it out for the position.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
My son said that he heard or read that CH said that Montoya not being selected was a tactical move and no injury. In which case he may be looking at another right back for when Bruno retires, which cannot be too far off, and doesn't see Schelotto as being adequate cover for or competition for Montoya. It will depend on price I suppose but the figure of £5m to us wouldnt be outrageous but to Gerrad and Rangers may be considered a lot.
The argus says Montoya missed out due to injury.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Brain Owen has poored cold water on this one via his tweet yesterday :

"I am reliably informed there is nothing in reports linking #bhafc with bids for Tavernier at Rangers and Beric at St Etienne."

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Brain Owen has poored cold water on this one via his tweet yesterday :

"I am reliably informed there is nothing in reports linking #bhafc with bids for Tavernier at Rangers and Beric at St Etienne."

Who are we actually linked to now?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would hope that we are not in a battle for Tavernier as I do not think that he is any better than Montoya and if we are going to spend £8m the player needs to be an improvement on what we have.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I would hope that we are not in a battle for Tavernier as I do not think that he is any better than Montoya and if we are going to spend £8m the player needs to be an improvement on what we have.

Well, if you don't rate first time pin point crosses and goal chances created, then we can certainly do without the likes of Tavernier. Let's just stick with wingers who can't do that.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
when ever Rangers have been on TV but then I rate Montoya, unlike many on here.

Montoya doesn't score one goal every four and a (very small) bit matches, but Tavernier does for Rangers. Frankly, we'd be quite pleased if any of our attacking players could manage 1 in 4 (although Murray has managed tis, but surely can't much longer).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here