[Misc] Selling CD's advice?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
I’ve built a reasonable collection of CD’s over the years and have recently joined Spotify, bought a Sonos for the kitchen and thought that’s it, no need for the cds anymore. Maybe I’m not getting the whole Spotify thing but whenever I’m considering what to listen to I end up staring at the CD’s for inspiration. There’s too much to chose from on Spotify! If I got rid of my CD’s it would be soul destroying. Like clearing my bookshelf because I’ve bought a kindle.
Keep em...like the box of cassettes you’ve still got 🙂

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
After my facetious comment yesterday (I think I had my 'irritable argumentative ****' head on) I would echo the comments of one or two to be cautious about getting rid. A mate of mine painstakingly uploaded all his CDs to a larger version of an iPOD to retain non-compressed quality. That's all very well but it takes time. I gave around 2,000 CDs so I'm not likely to ever have such time. All my stuff is saved in compressed form to play on my iPODs and that works for me on the train, and when we travel (we have a pod-dock here in Devon on holiday). And I back everything up on 3 portable hard drives. As for streaming, I doubt that spotify has all that I would want. The newer higher quality streaming services even less so. For example I have saved as MP3 whole John Peel shows from the late 70s to late 90s which I play on my iPod. Back to cds, I have most of them stored alphabetically in a wall mounted display bought from Habitat nearly 20 years ago. Lovely. I also kept all my old vinyl (currently in the shed) which includes all sorts that never made it on to cd, plus my copy of the Clash's first album signed by Joe Strummer. Think carefully before you get rid :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
After my facetious comment yesterday (I think I had my 'irritable argumentative ****' head on) I would echo the comments of one or two to be cautious about getting rid. A mate of mine painstakingly uploaded all his CDs to a larger version of an iPOD to retain non-compressed quality. That's all very well but it takes time. I gave around 2,000 CDs so I'm not likely to ever have such time. All my stuff is saved in compressed form to play on my iPODs and that works for me on the train, and when we travel (we have a pod-dock here in Devon on holiday). And I back everything up on 3 portable hard drives. As for streaming, I doubt that spotify has all that I would want. The newer higher quality streaming services even less so. For example I have saved as MP3 whole John Peel shows from the late 70s to late 90s which I play on my iPod. Back to cds, I have most of them stored alphabetically in a wall mounted display bought from Habitat nearly 20 years ago. Lovely. I also kept all my old vinyl (currently in the shed) which includes all sorts that never made it on to cd, plus my copy of the Clash's first album signed by Joe Strummer. Think carefully before you get rid :thumbsup:

Can I bring a few tins of beer and spend an afternoon in your shed?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Can I bring a few tins of beer and spend an afternoon in your shed?

2aschk.jpg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The DAC in a computer is nowhere close to being as good (accurate) as the DAC in a CD player (or dedicated streamer).
Generally the DACs built in to little laptops might not be very good, but the DAC in my PC is decent (separate soundcard), and not all CD players have good DACs.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
A mate of mine painstakingly uploaded all his CDs to a larger version of an iPOD to retain non-compressed quality. That's all very well but it takes time.

Hmmm... ripping a disc to computer barely takes a minute per disc. Something you can easily do whilst watching TV/movies/whatever.

I ripped 2000+ CDs a decade ago. Boxed the cherished CDs and stored away; ditched the rest. No regrets.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sometimes I think I'll get really organised and put it all on to my computer, as we have a deck with a USB lead, for the vinyl. I still have cassettes, cds, vhs tapes et all. We're both squirrels really. We still have a working music centre so they can all be played.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So do I. Plus the artist typically gets a bit more dollar.

artist get a lot more £ from CD. outside the top household name acts, the revenue most get from streaming is naff all.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
artist get a lot more £ from CD. outside the top household name acts, the revenue most get from streaming is naff all.

True. But there is an argument that a CD sale is a one-off payment so if you play a track from a CD one or a million times it doesn’t matter. If you stream a track one or a million times it does matter. Not seen any analysis of this though.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Boxed the cherished CDs and stored away; ditched the rest. No regrets.

Interesting you mention cherishing CDs, a concept much more usually associated with vinyl. Pretty much vinyl wins hand down on that front, tho there are exceptions. I cherish my CD copy of Be Here Now, the much-hyped third Oasis album. Clearly remember queueing up for it for about half an hour on day of release at the record shop in Victoria station on my weekday morning commute. Seemed a massive deal at the time. A propos of nothing it was ten days later that Diana died and pretty much consigned any further Oasis hype to the dustbin of history. Also cherish my CD copy of Smells Like Teen Spirit. CD cover includes a list of Nirvana UK/Ireland 1991 tour dates including, and I quote: Birmingham Hummingbird, Newcastle Mayfair and Dublin McGonagles! :lol:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Interesting you mention cherishing CDs, a concept much more usually associated with vinyl. Pretty much vinyl wins hand down on that front, tho there are exceptions. I cherish my CD copy of Be Here Now, the much-hyped third Oasis album. Clearly remember queueing up for it for about half an hour on day of release at the record shop in Victoria station on my weekday morning commute. Seemed a massive deal at the time. Also cherish my CD copy of Smells Like Teen Spirit. CD cover includes a list of Nirvana UK/Ireland tour dates including, and I quote: Birmingham Hummingbird, Newcastle Mayfair and Dublin McGonagles! :lol:

Yep, you can have an emotional attachment with a CD as much as vinyl or a cassette. Less so with an MP3 file...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Interesting you mention cherishing CDs, a concept much more usually associated with vinyl. Pretty much vinyl wins hand down on that front, tho there are exceptions. I cherish my CD copy of Be Here Now, the much-hyped third Oasis album. Clearly remember queueing up for it for about half an hour on day of release at the record shop in Victoria station on my weekday morning commute. Seemed a massive deal at the time. Also cherish my CD copy of Smells Like Teen Spirit. CD cover includes a list of Nirvana UK/Ireland tour dates including, and I quote: Birmingham Hummingbird, Newcastle Mayfair and Dublin McGonagles! :lol:

I cherish all 1500 or so or my CDs, the lady cherishes all 500 or so of hers. When we move into our new apartment we plan to have a listening room/library with all our CDs and vinyl floor to ceiling on shelves.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

True. But there is an argument that a CD sale is a one-off payment so if you play a track from a CD one or a million times it doesn’t matter. If you stream a track one or a million times it does matter. Not seen any analysis of this though.

There is the third way of buying a digital copy of an album. This must be fairly close to CD royalties for the artist?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I made the decision recently to keep my CDs but dispose of the cases. Same with my DVDs and Blu-Rays.

They're just taking up space I don't have so all the discs are going into a big wallet type thing where they can all sit on the same shelf gathering dust rather than spread across four shelves gathering dust.

Some of the CD cases I'm going to have framed up though to display as I like the artwork.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I made the decision recently to keep my CDs but dispose of the cases. Same with my DVDs and Blu-Rays.

They're just taking up space I don't have so all the discs are going into a big wallet type thing where they can all sit on the same shelf gathering dust rather than spread across four shelves gathering dust.

I did that about 10 years ago. The case now sits at the back of my wardrobe, untouched for at least 5 years...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I think this is a misconception. Now artist's have realised they don't need a label to produce music to steaming service and are keeping their copyright, they are making money again. Streaming service royalties have actually been high, but record labels keep the majority of this then pay their artists. You always needed a record deal to produce a CD, now there is more freedom as long as artists aren't beholden to their labels in terms of revenue from streaming. Artists initial blamed Spotify for low returns, but the reality is that it was their labels keeping their dues from that.

This is only relevant from a quick google search.
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/apr/24/weve-got-more-money-swirling-around-how-streaming-saved-the-music-industry

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I’ve built a reasonable collection of CD’s over the years and have recently joined Spotify, bought a Sonos for the kitchen and thought that’s it, no need for the cds anymore. Maybe I’m not getting the whole Spotify thing but whenever I’m considering what to listen to I end up staring at the CD’s for inspiration. There’s too much to chose from on Spotify! If I got rid of my CD’s it would be soul destroying. Like clearing my bookshelf because I’ve bought a kindle.
Keep em...like the box of cassettes you’ve still got 🙂

most people I know have Spotify. When I ask what they're listening to the reply is usually "I dunno, something on spotify"

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

Some of the CD cases I'm going to have framed up though to display as I like the artwork.

but the cases protect them?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here