Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Swimming

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
I'll say it quietly but it seems a bit strange that Russia who are not known as a swimming nation are suddenly winning loads of medals and world, or close to, world records.
Our team seems to build up slowly over many years.
Perhaps I am a cynic!!!

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
I'll say it quietly but it seems a bit strange that Russia who are not known as a swimming nation are suddenly winning loads of medals and world, or close to, world records.
Perhaps I am a cynic!!!

My customers son,Ben Proud got silver. Well done Ben, great swim.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Perhaps I am a cynic!!!

They annexed the Crimea. Plenty of new beaches.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
I happened to catch the Russian synchronised swimming team performance yesterday and I have to say I was suitably impressed, their precision was phenomenal. If you look at Team GB though, they've come a long way in a shortish time. For sure we've always had one or two outstanding individuals, but it's only been the last 10-12 years that it's built up to the heights we are now.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
They're practising for the mass invasion to come.
Hoards of Ruskies back stroking up the English Channel, in staggered formation, only to suddenly confuse us Englanders, and change to a military doggy style routine, and land en-masse at Rye harbour.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'll say it quietly but it seems a bit strange that Russia who are not known as a swimming nation are suddenly winning loads of medals

Notwithstanding the point we understand you are alluding to - this is simply not true.

USSR / Russia are 6th on the all-time Olympic swimming medal table. They've always been pretty strong. With (obviously) no Australia or USA in these current (European...) Games, a few Russian winners is not unexpected.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Notwithstanding the point we understand you are alluding to - this is simply not true.

USSR / Russia are 6th on the all-time Olympic swimming medal table. They've always been pretty strong. With (obviously) no Australia or USA in these current (European...) Games, a few Russian winners is not unexpected.

A few? I have just seen them win 3 races on the trot!!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Interesting. Shall I start I thread called cycling and name our asthma ridden brave cyclists. Then there is Mo Farah who went from average to Gold just by meeting a man named Salazar.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

i believe there was a sniff of a whisper about the ussr indulging in "chemical enhancement"

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
i believe there was a sniff of a whisper about the ussr indulging in "chemical enhancement"

Obviously. Nobody is doubting that (in fact this current Russian team's sponsor, on their tracksuits, is 'UralChem'...).

I was just correcting the suggestion that Russian is 'not known as a swimming nation'. Behind the powerhouses of Australia and USA, they are one of THE swimming nations, historically.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Perhaps I am a cynic!!!

With the Cycling also taking place maybe we should not be accusing other nations of "cheating".

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Obviously. Nobody is doubting that (in fact this current Russian team's sponsor, on their tracksuits, is 'UralChem'...).

I was just correcting the suggestion that Russian is 'not known as a swimming nation'. Behind the powerhouses of Australia and USA, they are one of THE swimming nations, historically.

Not quite if taking the world. In the Olympics they are 16th. After US and Australia there are 6 other European nations before them. I grant you the old USSR skewed the situation. I have no problem with cheats in any sport or any nation being exposed and expelled. Otherwise it is just not worth watching.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Hang on, England have done nothing at the World Cup in 28 years and suddenly reach the semi finals...........

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here