Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gus throws a strop at Bordeaux (looks like a French glass ceiling)

Geoffbn2

Feb 2, 2014
He does like to upset his Chairmen/boards, seems a bit similar to Mourinho, maybe that's how he likes to operate a good season r so then go with a payoff.
Would laugh my socks off if he ever ended up at Palace but i think even they've got just a tad more class than to appoint him, but it would be hilarious

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Exactly.

Still doesn't stop some people from focusing purely on the negatives though does it. I couldn't really give a shit about him gobbing off in public, the touting for jobs, his ego etc. The bottom line is, he got results, and he put this club back on the map. We could easily have ended up with a mediocre manager from the failed managers merry-go-round, and been spaffing around trying to get out of the 3rd division for a few seasons. Bigger clubs than BHA certainly have struggled to get out of that League.

We got Gus though. He galvanised the club from the moment he walked in, and the rest is history.
He also put Palace back in the Premier League, it's hard not to give a shit about that.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The touting of himself around towards the end did get tedious, but I don't think he "intervened" in the Suarez case. As a fellow Uruguayan he was asked his opinion on it, and Gus being Gus, couldn't resist running his mouth off in totally misguided support of him. Which was ill-judged, but probably entirely predictable. He's a newspaper hacks dream in that respect.

None of that alters or detracts from the superb job he did at BHA. He transformed the culture at this club, turned us into serial winners, dragged us from the doldrums and helped set us on an upward trajectory that we're still enjoying now. Hughton has now taken us to even newer heights - but Gus was the catalyst.

His downfall was also much to do with when a certain CEO arrived as well.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
he's done very well in the short time he's been there

scoring freely and winning the last 4 or 5 games of last season

already through to the next quali stage of the europa league this season

really hope he stays,just to see if he's capable of ruffling the feathers of PSG,Monaco and Lyon

funny enough they play Toulouse in a couple of weeks

considered a derby match

wasn't planning on going,but might look into it,just to see how Bordeaux play under him

that's if he's still there :lol:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Is Charlie still with him? I'll never forgive Poyet for THAT press conference but Oatway being hoofed out never to return was a bit of a shame.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
My feelings on him not long after he first came in, were that if a bigger club wanted him, then it must mean that we're doing well. Charlton & Posh away were highlights in that season. Unbelievable football from as away from home especially.
Just a shame how it ended, particularly against Palace of all teams. Nothing will ever be worse than that game.
So I have good memories of the football, but as a person, the way he treated us, nah, he can do one.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
exactly.

Still doesn't stop some people from focusing purely on the negatives though does it. I couldwe could easn't really give a shit about him gobbing off in public, the touting for jobs, his ego etc. The bottom line is, he got results, and he put this club back on the map. Ily have ended up with a mediocre manager from the failed managers merry-go-round, and been spaffing around trying to get out of the 3rd division for a few seasons. Bigger clubs than bha certainly have struggled to get out of that league.

We got gus though. He galvanised the club from the moment he walked in, and the rest is history.

Jim Gannon.:eek:

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
He was the perfect manager for BHA at the perfect time. Up until the fallout of the Playoffs he'd done an absolutely brilliant job, completely transforming us from a bunch of hopeless scufflers at the arse-end of the third division, to all-conquering Champions within 18 months, and Playoff contenders a year after that. Along the way we had some absolutely scintillating results and performances - Charlton away will live long in the memory, and I wish I'd got to Peterboro a couple of weeks after that.

It all ended on a sour note, as these journies often do. Not everything always ends perfectly. But anyone who says Poyet was not absolutely brilliant for this club has got their head rammed up their arse.

Couldn’t have put it better myself. He was the exact man for the job at that time, he gave us an identity, ambition, and ultimately transformed this football club.

It was a shame how it ended with Gus, but I still look on his tenure in a very positive light. It was a great couple of years.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Is Charlie still with him? I'll never forgive Poyet for THAT press conference but Oatway being hoofed out never to return was a bit of a shame.

Yes. Long before it got to the last season, Gus said he would always take Charlie with him, and so he has. Charlie didn't actually get hoofed out. He was charged with misconduct but ended up with a mutual decision so he got his compensation, even if he missed out on his testimonial.

Jimmy Grimble

The amount of times I've seen Oatway in pubs around Brighton and Hove lately I'd be surprised if he is still with him.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Yes. Long before it got to the last season, Gus said he would always take Charlie with him, and so he has. Charlie didn't actually get hoofed out. He was charged with misconduct but ended up with a mutual decision so he got his compensation, even if he missed out on his testimonial.

Thanks - I never knew Charlie got his compo.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
This, with whopping great bells on.

We can trace virtually everything that has been achieved in the past couple of seasons to what GP started. If we'd have still been washing around the lower reaches of League One when we moved into the Amex, we wouldn't be in this position today. What's more the style with which we won the division seemed to give the whole club a leg up.

Going to watch BHA home and away under Gus was very enjoyable, much more so than the battling performances we'd seen for a few years previously.

I disagree with a previous post, about El Abd sideways for 5 passes then back to goalie then hoof.....he made average defenders much more confident on the ball, something we hadn't seen at Brighton for years and years.

Can't whitewash the past, he was a damn good manager for us

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He also put Palace back in the Premier League, it's hard not to give a shit about that.

I know you despise him with a passion, but thats a massive stretch. Palace fluked their way up. They stumbled into the playoffs and won a couple of cup ties, probably one of the worst teams ever to have scraped up. That wasn't Poyets doing. They got lucky just at the right time, in the biggest game.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
I know you despise him with a passion, but thats a massive stretch. Palace fluked their way up. They stumbled into the playoffs and won a couple of cup ties, probably one of the worst teams ever to have scraped up. That wasn't Poyets doing. They got lucky just at the right time, in the biggest game.
And that Poyet gave them a 30 goal striker.

I'm caught in two minds tbh

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR

No he isn't. Also no sign of Tano with him when they played a friendly in Berlin a few weeks ago.

*edit: It appears Tano is with him. Charlie O has been replaced by Fernando Menegazzo. Whoever he is?

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
GP certainly doesn't seem to have reined in his ego one little bit, despite his somewhat less than stellar managerial career.

Starting to think he may actually have mental health issues. Not that I would wish that on anyone. Obviously.

He always struck me as a bit florid, even before we signed him up. Narcissistic personlity disorder would be my bet. A bit like Maureen. But Maureen is a much better manager....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here