Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] (Dickheads in) club cricket.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Do Barns Green still hold their annual six-a-side competition? Used to love that. (Getting hammered in the first round, and then...) winning the Plate competition was my first SILVERWARE in adult cricket :clap2:

blue-afro-man

Nov 25, 2013
Do Barns Green still hold their annual six-a-side competition? Used to love that. (Getting hammered in the first round, and then...) winning the Plate competition was my first SILVERWARE in adult cricket :clap2:

Happened last year but as an internal club competition. Used to love that day, was a big event. Managed to pick up some silverware myself! A lot of work used to go into that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just read his league have banned him for 9 games. not sure if its been mentioned.. if it has sorry.

Yes. Yes it was. Nevermind, another post to the unaassiable BG's count and no doubt another one to add replying to this with some sort of "sorry I was wrong, but not really" type effort.

Now's also the time to get out any stories about when you worked behing the bar at a cricket club, observations about how no one makes the cheese sandwiches properly anymore and any confusion you have regarding 3rd umpire technology :thumbsup:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Michael Gould I think has played for Worthing, Preston Nomads, Brighton,and St James in Premier League and didnt get many runs. Assume looking for his level but has gone down too far.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Yes. Yes it was. Nevermind, another post to the unaassiable BG's count and no doubt another one to add replying to this with some sort of "sorry I was wrong, but not really" type effort.

Now's also the time to get out any stories about when you worked behing the bar at a cricket club, observations about how no one makes the cheese sandwiches properly anymore and any confusion you have regarding 3rd umpire technology [emoji106]

I’m confused as to why you come across as a nasty piece of shyte more often than not?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You make *them* sound like SUPERHEROES...

How exciting!

Well I've heard their dad was pretty decent :wink:

THEY must have been good though for [MENTION=534]Chicken Run[/MENTION] to remember them so well from local cricket. Unless, of course he knew them from somewhere else....

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
One thing grass root cricket seems to suffer from, and I fully understand why, is decent info on clubs for newbies wanting to join. I know this as I was trying to find a club for my son and whilst I could find some patchy info most club websites were set up by a well meaning volunteer a while ago and haven't been touched since. In this age of folks searching for anything and everything online having a decent webpage with basic info on is a must. Info such as which age groups train when and if newcomers are welcome would be a good start! Sorry for the sidetracking off the thread but small things like this would help the grass roots level a lot.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
One thing grass root cricket seems to suffer from, and I fully understand why, is decent info on clubs for newbies wanting to join. I know this as I was trying to find a club for my son and whilst I could find some patchy info most club websites were set up by a well meaning volunteer a while ago and haven't been touched since. In this age of folks searching for anything and everything online having a decent webpage with basic info on is a must. Info such as which age groups train when and if newcomers are welcome would be a good start! Sorry for the sidetracking off the thread but small things like this would help the grass roots level a lot.

I totally agree with this: it's a bit of a bugbear of mine. If you're in a club the lack of information is a pain as I often need to get hold of the opposition manager/coach and have no way of doing so.
I should add that our club, Lewes Priory, does have up-to-date information but I still get messages forwarded to me from other club officials as people don't bother to check our website, possibly because they're so used to information being out-of-date.

BTW, we have plenty of places for junior players if anyone has children looking for a club.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Well I've heard their dad was pretty decent :wink:

THEY must have been good though for [MENTION=534]Chicken Run[/MENTION] to remember them so well from local cricket. Unless, of course he knew them from somewhere else....

Matt was a great cricketer, Brian wasn’t bad the other brother made the numbers up!

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Matt was a great cricketer, Brian wasn’t bad the other brother made the numbers up!
We always used to post 2 or 3 gullies for Brian when playing at Parham. He never could resist that late cut shot, caught him there a few times.

PG

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

ahahahaha.

So you don't really know us at all! You could scarcely be more wrong, IMO.

My Dad was the great, (for club level) indisputably. 70-odd centuries after the age of 40, (when he turned his attention seriously to batting, as his fast-bowling career wound down), is testament to that.

Matt is, always has been, a TRIER - the one that made the very best of his (limited :thumbsup: ) talent. I was a year below, and comfortably more naturally talented, tbh. He wouldn't argue with that assesment. Our younger brother, who probably no-one remembers playing at all, was more talented with the bat than either of us, but couldn't be arsed.

We always used to post 2 or 3 gullies for Brian when playing at Parham. He never could resist that late cut shot, caught him there a few times.

PG

Certainly 'his shot', and his predilection to it, was often his downfall (...eventually).

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Certainly 'his shot', and his predilection to it, was often his downfall (...eventually).[/QUOTE]

I certainly chased a few down towards the lake, in vain, too.

Great place to play.

PG

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Amazed at negative vibes about local cricket. Brighton Hove Club for eg have 5 Sat sides Colts sides from under 10s to under 16 run by very keen volunteers and also Womans sides .From my experience players of all standards are welcome. I know ST Peters offer the same

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I like this thread very much. Some very fine cricket tales. And thanks for the encouragement on the playing front. I'm quite tempted to give it a go somewhere....I know it's rather bad timing as we come towards mid August,l but maybe a bit of a tester session in nets would be the way to go :thumbsup: Always good to try something new :)

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Sorry, coming to this thread a bit late - been a busy couple of days coaching at county cricket junior matches.

I've seen no mention of the County Cricket Boards. I'm a paid coach with Shropshire Cricket Board and also the Membership Officer for the Shropshire Cricket Coaches Association, so this thread is something very close to me. I've been coaching cricket for about 15 years, the last 8 being with county age group squads [boys and girls, 10-15]. I was involved for 5 years coaching on the chance-to-shine programme [bringing cricket back to state schools] and also forging links between schools and clubs - Allstars is now the latest entry point for kids into cricket.

#Edna; I'd suggest you contact the Sussex Cricket Board and ask for details of clubs near to you that offer Ladies cricket, In Shropshire we have an "Active Womens League" which is hard-ball and several Prossecco tournaments [all day Sunday soft-ball] - great way to "taste" cricket and avoid the hard-ball concerns. 3 years ago I was approached by a local premier league club to help them set up a Ladies team with [paid] coaching - they're all improving and are keen but I emphasise the importance of the "F" word at this level of cricket - it must be fun.

As for the comments about winning at all costs, yes I've seen it at club level, but the level of coaching I provide is all panel umpires and the standard is generally very good. All my county squad players are coached to play hard, but play fair.

Yorkshire junior county cricket - yes, took a squad of county u10 boys to the Repton festival a few years back - 4 county, 3 day festival - Shrops, Staffs, Derbys & Yorks. The Yorks lads smashed all before them and over a beer with the Yorks coaches one evening they explained that they have over 100 district boys to select from and they are fed from several hundred clubs within the county - a big pool of players ...

Last comment on sledging - players today totally miss the point on quality sledging - good sledging [if there is such a thing] are comments made that are supposed to put the opposition off by laughter, not threatening to take his face off or questioning his mother's status. My county u11 girls played Cheshire on Tuesday and one of our less-quieter girls was heard to welcome a new batter to the crease with "C'mon girls, fresh meat, duck's on the menu!" Not rude, not insulting, but only mildly funny, but it made me smile coming from a 10 year-old ....

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Sorry, coming to this thread a bit late - been a busy couple of days coaching at county cricket junior matches.

I've seen no mention of the County Cricket Boards. I'm a paid coach with Shropshire Cricket Board and also the Membership Officer for the Shropshire Cricket Coaches Association, so this thread is something very close to me. I've been coaching cricket for about 15 years, the last 8 being with county age group squads [boys and girls, 10-15]. I was involved for 5 years coaching on the chance-to-shine programme [bringing cricket back to state schools] and also forging links between schools and clubs - Allstars is now the latest entry point for kids into cricket.

#Edna; I'd suggest you contact the Sussex Cricket Board and ask for details of clubs near to you that offer Ladies cricket, In Shropshire we have an "Active Womens League" which is hard-ball and several Prossecco tournaments [all day Sunday soft-ball] - great way to "taste" cricket and avoid the hard-ball concerns. 3 years ago I was approached by a local premier league club to help them set up a Ladies team with [paid] coaching - they're all improving and are keen but I emphasise the importance of the "F" word at this level of cricket - it must be fun.

As for the comments about winning at all costs, yes I've seen it at club level, but the level of coaching I provide is all panel umpires and the standard is generally very good. All my county squad players are coached to play hard, but play fair.

Yorkshire junior county cricket - yes, took a squad of county u10 boys to the Repton festival a few years back - 4 county, 3 day festival - Shrops, Staffs, Derbys & Yorks. The Yorks lads smashed all before them and over a beer with the Yorks coaches one evening they explained that they have over 100 district boys to select from and they are fed from several hundred clubs within the county - a big pool of players ...

Last comment on sledging - players today totally miss the point on quality sledging - good sledging [if there is such a thing] are comments made that are supposed to put the opposition off by laughter, not threatening to take his face off or questioning his mother's status. My county u11 girls played Cheshire on Tuesday and one of our less-quieter girls was heard to welcome a new batter to the crease with "C'mon girls, fresh meat, duck's on the menu!" Not rude, not insulting, but only mildly funny, but it made me smile coming from a 10 year-old ....

Doesn't make me smile. That last comment makes me very sad.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here