Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] (Dickheads in) club cricket.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We've discussed this before - I've described how I turned my back on League cricket years ago, due to the proliferation of dinlows taking themselves too seriously.

Spotted this on the BBC, from over the weekend.

Opposition batsman on 98 - two runs short of his first ever ton, with two runs needed to win the game. So the opposition bowler chucks a deliberate no-ball to the boundary to finish the game. What an utter, utter prick.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/45075013

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Wasn't there one a while back where a team needed to win with maximum bonus points to take the league title, so their opponents (who simply needed to deny them said bonus points to take the championship thmselves) won the toss, batted, and promptly declared on something like 30/0? Might have been in Wales, I think.

So much for the gentlemen's game :wink:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We've discussed this before - I've described how I turned my back on League cricket years ago, due to the proliferation of dinlows taking themselves too seriously.

Opposition batsman on 98 - two runs short of his first ever ton, with two runs needed to win the game. So the opposition bowler chucks a deliberate no-ball to the boundary to finish the game. What an utter, utter prick.

Read about this earlier. What a complete tool. Hope his club chuck him out.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

What sort of behaviour have you seen?

Are we talking about the kind of primadonnas who, like in Sunday football, have an notion of their talent and status way above the reality? Or just a-hole cheats?

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Golf clubs are teeming with ******** like that. One such told me to tuck my shirt in on the first tee. I mean, really.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What sort of behaviour have you seen?

Are we talking about the kind of primadonnas who, like in Sunday football, have an notion of their talent and status way above the reality? Or just a-hole cheats?

Minor league cricket has turned to shit really. Too many Billy BigBollocks who act like they're playing in the Ashes - sledging, sweary send-offs etc are now the norm. Like HKFC I stopped playing it but still watch junior quite often - can get quite unpleasant - never used to be like it, even at more senior levels.

Golf clubs are teeming with ******** like that. One such told me to tuck my shirt in on the first tee. I mean, really.

That's more the old-school 'rules are rules' nobs. My next door neighbour got called in the the secretary's office at his former club and was told he'd 'been seen on the course with an untucked shirt'. At the same club, I was in the bar having a drink after a round on a very hot day and a member spoke to the guy I'd played with and asked him to ask me to 'fully comply with the dress code'. Apparently sandals without socks wasn't allowed. I told him he could speak to me directly but he completely blanked me and said to my pal 'Please advise your guest I only speak to members'

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

He was probably a Tory

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Wasn't there one a while back where a team needed to win with maximum bonus points to take the league title, so their opponents (who simply needed to deny them said bonus points to take the championship thmselves) won the toss, batted, and promptly declared on something like 30/0? Might have been in Wales, I think.

You are correct Edna. From memory, I understand the Club who did this won the league, and received the trophy etc. But after a league hearing they were automatically relegated, and I think also barred from promotion back up for at least a further season.

Karma.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I loved playing cricket as a teenager. Captained both my school and my colts teams, had county trials, regularly played regional cricket and opened the bowling for the 2nd XI every week.

When I hit 18 and was expected to continue on to men's cricket, I couldn't think of anything less enticing. The expectation was complete commitment and if you didn't pledge allegiance to the club, it was fine-leg for you!

It's a real shame but for me, it all became too serious and sucked all the fun out of it and I've never felt an urge to go back.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Minor league cricket has turned to shit really. Too many Billy BigBollocks who act like they're playing in the Ashes - sledging, sweary send-offs etc are now the norm. Like HKFC I stopped playing it but still watch junior quite often - can get quite unpleasant - never used to be like it, even at more senior levels.

Our game yesterday was interesting. Playing away at a club we've played for many, many years (who shall remain nameless). Our Sunday cricket has always been played as 'timed games', as you know - i.e. First innings declare when they chose, but in reality always at tea, and the other team chase the total, or have the option of playing out a draw.

Well yesterday, the other side, with quite a few youngish, competitive young souls, didn't want that, and as the home side announced that the format would be 40 overs per side...

We made 334/3 (your lad's Parham record smashed btw, as one of our openers made 179) despite juggling our order to promote a couple to avoid anything TOO ridiculous. Our best batsman didn't even get in. Any normal Sunday we'd have declared at 250, and saved them an hour in the sun, but you can't declare a limited overs innings - you'd look right arrogant ****s.

Lesson learned for them, hopefully.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Rather depressingly, the ECB sent out an email this week talking about the number of complaints they'd received from female cricketers playing in mixed leagues. The ECB have "received reports of sexual harassment of female players, either on the pitch through inappropriate language or ‘sledging’, or off the pitch via unsolicited text and social media contact."

I must say that the league games I've played in have been played in good spirit but emails like the one above have reminded me how grim some games must be. They should name and shame the teams involved and start deducting points, it's the only way to stop this sort of thing.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Our game yesterday was interesting. Playing away at a club we've played for many, many years (who shall remain nameless). Our Sunday cricket has always been played as 'timed games', as you know - i.e. First innings declare when they chose, but in reality always at tea, and the other team chase the total, or have the option of playing out a draw.

Well yesterday, the other side, with quite a few youngish, competitive young souls, didn't want that, and as the home side announced that the format would be 40 overs per side...

We made 334/3 (your lad's Parham record smashed btw, as one of our openers made 179) despite juggling our order to promote a couple to avoid anything TOO ridiculous. Our best batsman didn't even get in. Any normal Sunday we'd have declared at 250, and saved them an hour in the sun, but you can't declare a limited overs innings - you'd look right arrogant ****s.

LOL.....How many did they make in reply ?

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

And the most satisfying thing is that they're too thick to realize they've been stitched up for the idiots they are.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Reminds me of the time Australia bowled under arm against NZ to stop them getting a 4

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Reminds me of the time Australia bowled under arm against NZ to stop them getting a 4

That’s nothing: I heard they once took sandpaper on to the pitch to deliberately scuff the ball up. Could be just a vicious rumour though.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Rather depressingly, the ECB sent out an email this week talking about the number of complaints they'd received from female cricketers playing in mixed leagues. The ECB have "received reports of sexual harassment of female players, either on the pitch through inappropriate language or ‘sledging’, or off the pitch via unsolicited text and social media contact."

I must say that the league games I've played in have been played in good spirit but emails like the one above have reminded me how grim some games must be. They should name and shame the teams involved and start deducting points, it's the only way to stop this sort of thing.

Are women allowed to play with men (oh stop it) then?

I always wanted to play, but cricket wasn’t introduced for girls at my school until the year after I’d left :rolleyes: Gutted. I’d still fancy giving it a go now but I daresay any local clubs would be way above a beginner’s level. At my age anyway :wink:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Posted on another thread about some of the cheating by "win at all cost" coaches umpiring in junior cricket, but this bonus points thing really winds me up as well.

In my son's U13 league you get 4 points for a win and 3 points for an "incomplete win" with the other side getting a point.

To get the 4 points you not only have to win but you have to bowl the other side out (in 20 overs). So there have been games when we've batted first, made a big score and only lost two or three wickets but then the opposition has made no attempt to chase it down. They've finished on say 55/5 chasing 150 but still get a point.

It's not affected us in the league but it did mean that one of these weaker sides progressed to the merit league at the expense of a team at a similar level who went out to win every game (and lost a couple of fixtures due to other teams not fulfilling them).

Seems a crazy rule and could easily bring up a situation where a team could need a point to win the league or to stay up and would just defend rather than playing the game.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here