Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] New Signing - Anders Dreyer

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I would like to see some U23 make more subs appearances this season. Not confident on that though. Even Viktor Gyökeres will probably be loaned out somewhere.
Gus Poyet can be credited for using youngsters. It's obviously tougher to break through in the Premier league.

Gus just wanted to buy. It has upped a gear since Bloom paid for the training complex. It will be very difficult for the top talent to break through at this level, but the whole training complex is built with that in mind.

My silver lining is that if we get relegated at anytime we have half a championship squad ready to go.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Poyet discovered Dunk. Think he also brought March into the equation. Might be others.

Discovered? He gave him his first games, certainly. In truth (I just checked) Dunk wasn't a nailed on starter under either (50 games across four seasons). He cemented his place (38 games) in the Sami / Jones / Hughton season.

March though - never made a first team appearance under Poyet (unused sub three times). Oscar played him regularly, the following season - mostly as a number 10, rather than a winger.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Who was our first 1m DS singing????

Mateju - when he was signed in August 2017 the Argus reported he was signed "for a fee which, with additional clauses, could eventually rise to around £2 million."

Then, when Gyokeres joined on January 1 2018 it was reported as a 10million Krona fee, which at the prevailing exchange rate was £966k.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Is there a link to the players we've sold in recent times that have been purchased since our new academy? I bet every single one of them we made profit on.

Actually I suspect most of them we made a loss. For example we paid a fee for Hornby Forbes from Fleetwood but released him in the summer realising he wouldn't make the cut.

Having said that, it only takes one big sale of a youth teamer to make a net profit.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Discovered? He gave him his first games, certainly. In truth (I just checked) Dunk wasn't a nailed on starter under either (50 games across four seasons). He cemented his place (38 games) in the Sami / Jones / Hughton season.

March though - never made a first team appearance under Poyet (unused sub three times). Oscar played him regularly, the following season - mostly as a number 10, rather than a winger.

Gus in 2010 said that the 18 year old Dunk had the potential to be a premier league defender.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Gus just wanted to buy. It has upped a gear since Bloom paid for the training complex. It will be very difficult for the top talent to break through at this level, but the whole training complex is built with that in mind.

My silver lining is that if we get relegated at anytime we have half a championship squad ready to go.
Everyone is having an opinion on starting youngsters in the media, trouble is for any PL club manager if you take a risk and lose it’s your head on the firing line. Personally I think all young talent should start in the lower leagues play men’s football first and not expect to walk into a PL side. The Chelsea lad handing in a transfer request is pathetic go on loan to the championship and then let’s see how good you are.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Everyone is having an opinion on starting youngsters in the media, trouble is for any PL club manager if you take a risk and lose it’s your head on the firing line. Personally I think all young talent should start in the lower leagues play men’s football first and not expect to walk into a PL side. The Chelsea lad handing in a transfer request is pathetic go on loan to the championship and then let’s see how good you are.

Or go to Bayern and start games like Sancho.

How anyone can call going abroad for football in a new culture and with a new language “pathetic” is beyond me. I’d say he’s got some big ol’gonads.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I have respect for him, he is clearly not going to make the grade at Chelsea as they buy experienced first teamers. Much better off going to a club where he is likely to have a good chance of starting. Too many young players happy to take the big money and end up with a career that goes nowhere. The fact that he is putting playing before wages should be lauded imo.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here