Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Burn - New Centre Back

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Can someone clarify if we loan in a HGP (say Tammy Abraham) does this qualify as a HGP for the squad i.e we could name 25.

How old is Tammy (I hope it's not him)? The reason I ask is because under a certain age you don't need to name the player in the 25 but can still play him...

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
reminder to those asking .... its max 17 non HG and upto 8 HGP ... its not compulsary to have the full 8 HGP but it does mean for every 1 less HGP means one less in total squad size

we may well go into the season with 24 in the squad and not the full 25

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So do we still need another HGP if we're loaning Burn out again? If so, I must agree and say this currently makes no sense at all

We don't have to have 8 HGPs, and we don't have to have 25 players named in the squad. It would be handy, but it's not essential.

Look at last season, for instance. Goldson, Hunnemeier, Sidwell, Maenpaa, Krul, Baldock, Murphy/Locadia, Skalak - all in the squad, but I doubt if they managed a dozen or so (League) matches between them.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
We don't have to have 8 HGPs, and we don't have to have 25 players named in the squad. It would be handy, but it's not essential.

Look at last season, for instance. Goldson, Hunnemeier, Sidwell, Maenpaa, Krul, Baldock, Murphy/Locadia, Skalak - all in the squad, but I doubt if they managed a dozen or so (League) matches between them.

I know, but Naylor did mention we were looking to get another defender in perhaps. I can't see any other HGP defenders we've been linked with that would happen, and the only RB's we have been linked with are foreign. So the club must either be totally content without numerically adding to the current squad (Hemed's departure and replacement would even itself out), or they've got something up their sleeve that we know nothing about. I suspect the former.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
TB has got money, to be sure - but money to burn? No chance, he's far too savvy for that. And I'm as sure as I can be that we've got a budget which we won't exceed. No idea what that budget is, of course - or whether the club are still chasing Moore, though I think that is looking less and less likely. Obviously that's just me guessing, but that's what 90% of today's posts are all about anyway!

One thing I am sure of though. I'm sick and tired of that tired old mantra 'too young and inexperienced'............................ every player in the PL, from Kane, Salah and de Bruyne downwards, was young and inexperienced once.

Good post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
So do we still need another HGP if we're loaning Burn out again? If so, I must agree and say this currently makes no sense at all

We don't need another HGP. If you had to register one by law we could just register Ben Barclay.

All it means is we can't sign someone who is not home grown, without removing someone who isn't home grown from the 25.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Guardian reporting it....
A number of stories doing the rounds suggest Brighton are going to sign the Wigan centre-back Dan Burn for £4m and then loan him straight back – which is an odd one given than Burn is 26 and hardly some untested whippersnapper.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Weird deal this one, makes you wonder if there's anything tied in with Nick Powell we were after in January?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Why do people not get this? Seems quite straight forward to me. A loan back gets the deal over the line as it buys Wigan time to get a replacement in. In the mean time we've got Dunk/Duffy and Balogun for the first four months of the season. Should we need a 4th choice (unlikely) then we've got Bernardo who could slot in - could happen if we are signing Montoya.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Burn is currently recovering from a broken foot so he stays at Wigan to get fit.

Sorry if this has been covered, haven’t read the whole thread.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Why do people not get this? Seems quite straight forward to me. A loan back gets the deal over the line as it buys Wigan time to get a replacement in. In the mean time we've got Dunk/Duffy and Balogun for the first four months of the season.

Because everyone said we need four CB's and yet our fourth choice has a broken foot and will be 250 miles away for half a season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here