Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Thousands queuing for trains at Brighton station

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Shouldn't laugh, but this sounds about as successful as a Crystal Palace "meet the players" event:

"Brighton and Hove city council opened up the Brighton Centre conference venue for people who were stranded but said only nine people turned up."

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Shouldn't laugh, but this sounds about as successful as a Crystal Palace "meet the players" event:

"Brighton and Hove city council opened up the Brighton Centre conference venue for people who were stranded but said only nine people turned up."

Probably because it was completely unadvertised tho eh?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I'm sure they have the reasons but, instinctively, stopping the trains because of thousands of people queuing for trains sounds counter productive....

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I really think it’s time to alternate this event,why not have it every other year?Why not use other vibrant,open minded cities like Croydon or Portsmouth,Burnley.It will give Brighton a chance to recover,I think it should be every 4 years,the whole event must cost council tax payers 10s of millions every year,money that could be spent on free school meals during the summer holidays and such like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I really think it’s time to alternate this event,why not have it every other year?Why not use other vibrant,open minded cities like Croydon or Portsmouth,Burnley.It will give Brighton a chance to recover,I think it should be every 4 years,the whole event must cost council tax payers 10s of millions every year,money that could be spent on free school meals during the summer holidays and such like.

Just out of curiosity how do you arrive at tens of millions?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'm wondering why so many people left it so late before heading home. I would have been in bed with my cocoa long before midnight and the time they headed for the station.

Seriously though, it may be a bit premature to automatically start blaming Southern Rail for the fracas. It seems from reading reports that enough tyrains were in place, and that it was the police who started to implement crowd control measures and queueing at the station at short notice, thus slowing down the boarding of trains, and them needing to leave on schedule, and sometimes only half full.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Well I had a great day/night and only a 15min walk home [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Just out of curiosity how do you arrive at tens of millions?

Just thought I’d pick a figure out of thin air,must cost a few quid?Thought I might like to jump on the project fear bandwagon,I think I may have read that is 37 times more difficult to get an appointment with your GP during pride weekend not forgetting the queues for the trains and the quadrupling of hotel prices...

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'm wondering why so many people left it so late before heading home. I would have been in bed with my cocoa long before midnight and the time they headed for the station.

Seriously though, it may be a bit premature to automatically start blaming Southern Rail for the fracas. It seems from reading reports that enough tyrains were in place, and that it was the police who started to implement crowd control measures and queueing at the station at short notice, thus slowing down the boarding of trains, and them needing to leave on schedule, and sometimes only half full.

WHAT !!! You mean the police failing to control large crowds...... blimey.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Guess in the end it WAS safer to have scores of thousands of people milling around town on a warm summer's night than dangerously stampeding for one of the meagre number of trains available. doubtless huge numbers of those caught outside just consulted their phone and their app and saw a 23:04 to Victoria and thought oh I'll get that one. Was never going to happen.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

There used to be a poster on here called ‘Barrel of Fun’ didn’t there ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Just thought I’d pick a figure out of thin air,must cost a few quid?Thought I might like to jump on the project fear bandwagon,I think I may have read that is 37 times more difficult to get an appointment with your GP during pride weekend not forgetting the queues for the trains and the quadrupling of hotel prices...

That’s because all the GP’s have access to all kinds of drugs and are off their nuts.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

Have the police found many discarded knives and knuckle dusters ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Guess in the end it WAS safer to have scores of thousands of people milling around town on a warm summer's night than dangerously stampeding for one of the meagre number of trains available. doubtless huge numbers of those caught outside just consulted their phone and their app and saw a 23:04 to Victoria and thought oh I'll get that one. Was never going to happen.

Exactly.

Massive queues for thousands upon thousands of people all wanting to go home at roughly around the same time, via the same station. Wow, what a shocker ! Could never see that happening.

People are stupid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here