Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Thousands queuing for trains at Brighton station

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
This. There were a load of kids who would want to see Britney, and its barffingly clear that if the show finishes at 22.30 you won’t be going home on public transport. She should have gone on much earlier. Maybe the way forward is a camping (😂 sorry) facility, racecourse?

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Not a lot to see today. The big green wall is still up all round the park for the LoveBN1Fest that's on later. Looking forward to Roweta, Gabrielle, Jess Glynne and Nile Rodgers with Chic. Us PP residents got offered up to 4 tickets free. Which was nice.

Not checked our front garden for mobile phones yet. Most years there's one in there. Always fun scrolling through the 'did you get the stuff?' messages while trying to find someone to contact to reunite the phone with it's owner :lol:

To be fair to the Pride organisers and the council clean-up team, the clean-up operation is usually pretty impressive and the park is back to normal by midweek.

yeah but there's a trail of shite everywheres else :)

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I really think it’s time to alternate this event,why not have it every other year?Why not use other vibrant,open minded cities like Croydon or Portsmouth,Burnley.It will give Brighton a chance to recover,I think it should be every 4 years,the whole event must cost council tax payers 10s of millions every year,money that could be spent on free school meals during the summer holidays and such like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:lolol:

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Nothing can compare with big beach boutique 2. The pictures are still incredible. Utter carnage and downright dangerous. 250k people was mentioned?

That was madness. I was 15 and got the train from Hassocks (had to wait a couple of trains on the way in as they were stopping but there was physically no room to get in board). After it finished we got back to Brighton Station which had been closed by the police on safety grounds. My folks had to come and collect us but couldn't get into the city until about 1am.

Great event though, had never seen both men & women pissing up against the same wall before!

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Nothing can compare with big beach boutique 2. The pictures are still incredible. Utter carnage and downright dangerous. 250k people was mentioned?

And the rest, I remember the days before and they said it was expected there would be about 20k or so going and no extra trains would be needed. About lunchtime on the day when the count of people arriving at the station had already gone through more than double it was panic stations all round

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I remember the days before and they said it was expected there would be about 20k or so going and no extra trains would be needed

I think its fair to say that was an epic fail and there were more than 20 thousand. Cant really blame the trains for this one

maxresdefault.jpg

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I think its fair to say that was an epic fail and there were more than 20 thousand. Cant really blame the trains for this one

View attachment 99447

Crazy, crazy night! As said earlier, around a quarter of a million people on or around Brighton beach. Supermarkets had actually sold out of beer and wine, traffic did not move for around 2 or 3 miles away, in fact the A23 saw 15 mile tailbacks. The city was swamped, overrun even, but by God it was memorable. And the images were amazing, from above, from the beach or from the water. Maybe BHCC could try to create an all inclusive event beachside event for maybe 100k people, more controllable but still iconic.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
And the rest, I remember the days before and they said it was expected there would be about 20k or so going and no extra trains would be needed. About lunchtime on the day when the count of people arriving at the station had already gone through more than double it was panic stations all round

But that was before some clown of a DJ on Radio One told all his listeners to get down to Brighton for a free Fatboy gig.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
No different to any day after a weekend’s sunny day tbh.

I disagree there.

I take my kayak from various Worthing beaches, and have barbies and beers frequently.

I rarely see any crap left from people,and trust me,I do look.

People are generally good, or maybe that's just the Worthing guys?

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
WHAT !!! You mean the police failing to control large crowds...... blimey.

Interesting comments..... people pushing to get on trains over crowded platforms people pushed on lines or crushing injuries.. police cant win either way. It seems to me the problem was everybody wanted to get on the train at the same time as they all wanted to watch Britney. Southern added 15 extra trains but this was not enough. Could they have added more? I expect not as you probably can only have one train on a stretch of line at one time. The main role of the police in these sort of incident is the preservation of life which as nobody died they succeded in

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I understand that the station gates were closed on the advice of the police

Because GTR couldn't get enough trains running to carry people. Thus the police had to prevent overcrowding in the station. GTR had months to get a plan in place - Pride is ALWAYS busy. It's hardly rocket science. Remember this is the same company that is so pathetic is can't provide a decent service to everyday commuters or for the London to Brighton bike ride. GTR shouldn't be allowed to run a rail service at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here