Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Internet Banking

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Always use Internet as any human intervention with Santander always seems to go horribly wrong.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Many moons ago I worked for Lloyds and it was compulsary to have my pay put into a Lloyds account. I assume this isn't a requirement anymore ?

As for internet banking - why wouldn't you use it. Love the Lloyds app.

My son started work for LLoyds when he was 18 after his A levels. He had to close his Barclays account, as it was compulsory to have a LLoyds one.
He left after three years to become a firefighter.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My son started work for LLoyds when he was 18 after his A levels. He had to close his Barclays account, as it was compulsory to have a LLoyds one.
He left after three years to become a firefighter.

It was, but even from about 1998 there as nothing stopping any staff having their salary paid into it, and then immediately transfer it to wherever they want.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Always use Internet as any human intervention with Santander always seems to go horribly wrong.

I went into Santander the other day as I have tried to downgrade my 1-2-3 account to a standard account as I no longer pay any direct debits on my account.
Bank employee....you could have done that on-line to save coming in
Me...could I? I couldn’t see how to do it hence my visit.
Bank employee...I’ll show you.
Me...Thank you
Bank employee....Oh, you can’t do it........
Me..I know.

She then downgraded my account in branch for me.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I went into Santander the other day as I have tried to downgrade my 1-2-3 account to a standard account as I no longer pay any direct debits on my account.
Bank employee....you could have done that on-line to save coming in
Me...could I? I couldn’t see how to do it hence my visit.
Bank employee...I’ll show you.
Me...Thank you
Bank employee....Oh, you can’t do it........
Me..I know.

She then downgraded my account in branch for me.

Santander are hopeless at customer service but automation works fine

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Santander are hopeless at customer service but automation works fine

The only positive I experience with them is that when they make any attempt it usually results in me ending up £50 better off. The last time (last week) when they offered it for yet another bugger up (didn't reissue expiring card) I said "it's not about the money it's the numerous calls and hand offs that are so irritating" to which her response was to give me £100.

I doubt anyone is looking at their processes and eliminating the trouble spots

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Much more convienent to have internet banking, and yes cheques can be paid in online, the only time the bank want me to visit is when they are trying to sell me something, or as they call it a health check or something.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not according to his mum if this thread is anything to go by!! Branch staff are vital.

:whistle:

Lol. I'm proud of him as a firefighter, and wouldn't touch Lloyds bank with a barge pole.

I love Internet banking and go online most days to check my account. In fact, it was using Internet banking whilst in France that I spotted the five duplicate transactions.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Physical banks won’t be around forever, my guess is 10-15 years tops so if your planning on living that long it’s probably worth working out how to bank digitally.

I agree ... in fact I believe the only reason most are still here is down to a combination of the negative PR associated with closing them (will erode fairly quickly) and Gov't pressure. Sad really, but fact is they are a huge cost burden and add value only to a small minority

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I have hearing problems and find Indians very hard to understand, they seem to mumble; I've tried asking them to speak more slowly and clearly but it's a lottery whether you get one who actually listens and slows down.
For that reason if I had a problem I'd go into the branch. other than that, Internet banking is just the ticket.

Switch to a bank that doesn't outsource their call centres to India? I'm with the coop and Santander and get a Brit every time, on the very rare occasions I need to phone them up.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
6 pages and no word of caution on internet banking - TSB

I can only assume that no NSC posters bank with TSB

Horror stories everywhere.

Last year we had to pay a US $ cheque for nearly $20K into her HSBC account which was then "lost" by the local branch. It took 3 months and countless calls to get the money paid into her account.

S**t happens, she got a (so called) compensation payment as will have those impacted by TSB debacle

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I can understand the Natwest Bank saving money and closing branches if there are too many, but I cant uderstand why they choose to keep the only three in Brighton open that are just within 1.5 miles of each other and all where parking is near impossible or expensive. If you live in Newhaven or surrounding area, you have to travel to Eastbourne or Castle Square if you have an ugrent need to deal direct with a bank. Very hard to do if you are elderly or disabled.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The only positive I experience with them is that when they make any attempt it usually results in me ending up £50 better off. The last time (last week) when they offered it for yet another bugger up (didn't reissue expiring card) I said "it's not about the money it's the numerous calls and hand offs that are so irritating" to which her response was to give me £100.

I doubt anyone is looking at their processes and eliminating the trouble spots

It’s not so much that......the compo is paid to shut the complaint down quickly. It’s much better to do that rather than let it escalate, get reported to the regulators, referred to the Ombudsman etc. That’s a right ballache for the banks.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I can understand the Natwest Bank saving money and closing branches if there are too many, but I cant uderstand why they choose to keep the only three in Brighton open that are just within 1.5 miles of each other and all where parking is near impossible or expensive. If you live in Newhaven or surrounding area, you have to travel to Eastbourne or Castle Square if you have an ugrent need to deal direct with a bank. Very hard to do if you are elderly or disabled.

They've got one in Seaford but I imagine it's on the list to axe as soon as no one is looking

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here