Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Internet Banking

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Why on earth would you request HMRC pay you by cheque? Both Mrs SS and I have to do Self Assessments each year and nearly always one of us has overpaid tax - we provide our bank sort-code and account and the money gets paid in via the [same-day] faster payments method. Getting to a branch to pay a cheque in is a bit old fashioned these days and mostly avoidable [plus delay in funds actually being credited/cleared into your account too]

As my pension is paid by the ESPS it is on PAYE. HMRC messed up my code when I got my state pension, which isn't taxed at source. I told them it was too high, but they knew best.
Two years later they realised I had paid too much, and sent me a letter with a cheque attached. I didn't request anything.

Suitable explanation for you?

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
They probably don't have a choice.
It's a nightmare for small businesses who pay big charges to have a bank account. I don't believe the internet can give them the change they require for their till's float yet.

Yes indeed, I have a shop in Crowborough, my business account is with Natwest which recently closed. Nightmare, HSBC closed recently there too

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As my pension is paid by the ESPS it is on PAYE. HMRC messed up my code when I got my state pension, which isn't taxed at source. I told them it was too high, but they knew best.
Two years later they realised I had paid too much, and sent me a letter with a cheque attached. I didn't request anything.

Suitable explanation for you?

Whenever I’ve had a rebate it’s always been unannounced and sent in cheque form. It’s unexpected money so to be honest if I have to wait four days for it to clear it’s not really a hardship.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They probably don't have a choice.
It's a nightmare for small businesses who pay big charges to have a bank account. I don't believe the internet can give them the change they require for their till's float yet.

A local business in Newhaven asked residents for coppers & silver from jars, to help their floats.
We have a Post Office which is now just a small addition, whereas we used to have a Crown PO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here