Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Mercedes help

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I had a similar moment when I hired a Hyundai through ZipCar a couple of days ago. I had to fill up the petrol tank because the previous driver was a **** leaving barely anything in the tank. Firstly I pulled into the petrol station with a 50/50 chance of picking the correct side to refuel. Obviously I got that wrong. Having rectified that, I used the ZipCar credit card on the self service pump and got ready to fill it up. It was then I realised it wasn't one of those petrol caps you just push to open. I must have spent 3 or 4 minutes trying to find the button to open it. I felt like a right CHUMP frantically looking around on the controls to try and find it. Eventually I gave up and Googled it (seems like it was quite a common search). It turns out it was hidden on the underside of the armrest in the door. By that time the pump had timed out and wouldn't accept the ZipCar card any more. I felt even more stupid going into the shop and explaining the card was declined.

All modern cars have a little arrow on the petrol gauge telling which side it's on...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
All modern cars have a little arrow on the petrol gauge telling which side it's on...

This was the stupid thing. It had TWO petrol pump symbols. One had a picture of the car with the pump on one side, so I assumed that was indicating which side it was on. I later discovered another symbol with the arrow on it :facepalm:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I had a similar thing with an automatic brake in a hire car. I think it was a Citroen people carrier. Being an auto gearbox I just left it in park while we loaded up and set off to Dover. The first time I realised it didn't have a conventional hand brake was when I had to stop halfway up a steep ramp in the middle of a ferry. That was an interesting hill-start...

I had a similar thing at Eastbourne hospital when my other half was a patient. The car park is on a slope, and we had a courtesy car whilst ours was being repaired. I got stuck and there was no bite point to be able to reverse. I shouted to a bloke to come and help me, and he managed to find the button with P on it. The garage hadn't bothered telling me it was an auto hand brake.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I had a similar moment when I hired a Hyundai through ZipCar a couple of days ago. I had to fill up the petrol tank because the previous driver was a **** leaving barely anything in the tank. Firstly I pulled into the petrol station with a 50/50 chance of picking the correct side to refuel. Obviously I got that wrong.

This was the stupid thing. It had TWO petrol pump symbols. One had a picture of the car with the pump on one side, so I assumed that was indicating which side it was on.

I never understand this. ALL petrol pumps have hoses long enough to reach around the car of you happen to park with the filler cap furthest from the pump. I never even bother thinking about which side the filler cap is on - I just park at the first available pump. :shrug:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I had a similar thing with an automatic brake in a hire car. I think it was a Citroen people carrier. Being an auto gearbox I just left it in park while we loaded up and set off to Dover. The first time I realised it didn't have a conventional hand brake was when I had to stop halfway up a steep ramp in the middle of a ferry. That was an interesting hill-start...

I was coming back from Belgium recently with a handsome supply of bottled refreshments and the **** driving up in front of me stopped dead right as he got off the ramp for NO reason !!!!! Couldn't hold it on the clutch so had to put the handbrake on and wait 30 seconds before he moved off... Bloody nightmare to gun the engine and get up that ramp from a standing start. ****.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I had a similar moment when I hired a Hyundai through ZipCar a couple of days ago. I had to fill up the petrol tank because the previous driver was a **** leaving barely anything in the tank. Firstly I pulled into the petrol station with a 50/50 chance of picking the correct side to refuel. Obviously I got that wrong. Having rectified that, I used the ZipCar credit card on the self service pump and got ready to fill it up. It was then I realised it wasn't one of those petrol caps you just push to open. I must have spent 3 or 4 minutes trying to find the button to open it. I felt like a right CHUMP frantically looking around on the controls to try and find it. Eventually I gave up and Googled it (seems like it was quite a common search). It turns out it was hidden on the underside of the armrest in the door. By that time the pump had timed out and wouldn't accept the ZipCar card any more. I felt even more stupid going into the shop and explaining the card was declined.

Look at the pictures the arrow on the petrol pump indicates which side the fuel cap is

https://www.google.com/search?q=picture+of+petrol+indicator+on+dash&safe=active&rls=com.microsoft:en-GB:IE-Address&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=KeDcLB5V7jkEoM%253A%252C25oOtdI72QbfEM%252C_&usg=AFrqEzdTfcWBr0cwN75U_KnAfFHFBbbdlQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiVxeKSs9HcAhXBb1AKHStuAxMQ9QEwBHoECAAQDA#imgrc=KeDcLB5V7jkEoM:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I never understand this. ALL petrol pumps have hoses long enough to reach around the car of you happen to park with the filler cap furthest from the pump. I never even bother thinking about which side the filler cap is on - I just park at the first available pump. :shrug:

Have you never soaked yourself in petrol by pulling the hose out straight and getting rid of the loop of hose that hangs down below the trigger?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Never driven a van then

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto

Have you never soaked yourself in petrol by pulling the hose out straight and getting rid of the loop of hose that hangs down below the trigger?

Never driven a van then

Exactly. The hose does usually reach the other side of the car, but it can be a real pain actually filling up. There were loads of other pumps available so I took the decision to spend 10 seconds driving to another pump, instead of 10 seconds arsing about trying to get the hose into the other side.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

And damage your paintwork on every occasion.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
So how do you do a hill start with one of those P buttons?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not this one - it'll probably be a B180D, with a rip-snorting 110bhp from its 1.5 litre Renault diesel engine. Also to be found in the Renault Kadjar and Dacia Lodgy...

Good of you to take my post seriously :facepalm: but seriously, even with that engine you should still be able to make good progress - just try keeping it in 2nd. or 3rd. gear so you can get more torque from the increased revs, and it'll go nearly as fast anyway. A bit noisier maybe, but nothing to worry about - just keep your right foot to the floor: it'll be fine, honest.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here