Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Mercedes help

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I got a hire car for work. Ordered a C group auto which is advertised as "Astra or similar". They just delivered a Mercedes of all things.

Trouble is, being a chap, a lad, a geezer even, when he asked me if I wanted him to go over the controls I puffed out my chest and said "nah, I'm ok".

After he went I got in to check out the sat nav and sound system (a few groovy chunes are more important to me than the badge on the front) I couldn't find the handbrake :blush:

Have Mercs got automatic brakes and, if so, how do you operate/release it ?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I got a hire car for work. Ordered a C group auto which is advertised as "Astra or similar". They just delivered a Mercedes of all things.

Trouble is, being a chap, a lad, a geezer even, when he asked me if I wanted him to go over the controls I puffed out my chest and said "nah, I'm ok".

After he went I got in to check out the sat nav and sound system (a few groovy chunes are more important to me than the badge on the front) I couldn't find the handbrake :blush:

There's probably online instructions accessed through the on-screen display......once you've worked out how to use that :lolol::lolol:(it's probably a button marked 'P' on the dash somewhere ?)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I would imagine that, like most auto hold systems, you simply depress the clutch, find the biting point, and it will release automatically.

(There will almost certainly be a button somewhere, too!)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Let me know if you need a hand checking the oil :)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Mercs have nice powerful engines - just gun it hard, and it will drag itself along, hand brake or no hand brake. If you notice a funny smell, just ignore it, it isn't important.......................

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I would imagine that, like most auto hold systems, you simply depress the clutch, find the biting point, and it will release automatically.

(There will almost certainly be a button somewhere, too!)

It's an automatical so no biting point.

I just want to point it at Ipswich on Monday, press the pedal and go.

In fact, as its an auto with sat nav can I sit in the back ?

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I had a similar thing with an automatic brake in a hire car. I think it was a Citroen people carrier. Being an auto gearbox I just left it in park while we loaded up and set off to Dover. The first time I realised it didn't have a conventional hand brake was when I had to stop halfway up a steep ramp in the middle of a ferry. That was an interesting hill-start...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
and when you get to the end of your journey, if you are on a hill just rest it against the car in front

Just bring it to a halt, and it will activate the parking brake by magic, like my VW does*

*hopefully.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Just bring it to a halt, and it will activate the parking brake by magic, like my VW does*

*hopefully.

ah, mine goes off automatically but doesn't re-engage unless I press the button, although its clever enough to make me have my seat belt on to move the car, so it might re-engage after I park, I just haven't risked trying it.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I had a similar moment when I hired a Hyundai through ZipCar a couple of days ago. I had to fill up the petrol tank because the previous driver was a **** leaving barely anything in the tank. Firstly I pulled into the petrol station with a 50/50 chance of picking the correct side to refuel. Obviously I got that wrong. Having rectified that, I used the ZipCar credit card on the self service pump and got ready to fill it up. It was then I realised it wasn't one of those petrol caps you just push to open. I must have spent 3 or 4 minutes trying to find the button to open it. I felt like a right CHUMP frantically looking around on the controls to try and find it. Eventually I gave up and Googled it (seems like it was quite a common search). It turns out it was hidden on the underside of the armrest in the door. By that time the pump had timed out and wouldn't accept the ZipCar card any more. I felt even more stupid going into the shop and explaining the card was declined.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That sounds great - until the day you drive a different car and find you have got out of the habit :)

Happens to me ALL the time. A couple of times a month I have to fly to Edinburgh / Glasgow / Dublin and normally hire a small car for the day. Almost without fail, I try to drive away with the handbrake on, because it isn't a MAGIC one.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Mercs have nice powerful engines - just gun it hard, and it will drag itself along, hand brake or no hand brake. If you notice a funny smell, just ignore it, it isn't important.......................

Not this one - it'll probably be a B180D, with a rip-snorting 110bhp from its 1.5 litre Renault diesel engine. Also to be found in the Renault Kadjar and Dacia Lodgy...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here