Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Anthony Knockaert 2018/19 Season!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I agree, I think AK has found his feet and with the increased competition, he'll only get better. It's a mouthwatering prospect!

Anyhow, I thought he was off to WBA? :jester:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think his improvement as the season went on was more a reflection of the team getting used to playing in the Premier League and therefore getting the best out of the attacking wide men. Don't actually think Knockaert himself got better, the team just did better at getting our attacking players on the ball in the right places. This undoubtedly gave Knockaert and Izzy more confidence and thus improved their performance but I was never sure that Knocky himself had dipped anyway.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I love knocky. He was excellent at the end of last season and when he is on form he is one of the most exciting Albion players of all time. I don't think we'd be where we are now without him. What a signing he was and an absolute steal.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I think his improvement as the season went on was more a reflection of the team getting used to playing in the Premier League and therefore getting the best out of the attacking wide men. Don't actually think Knockaert himself got better, the team just did better at getting our attacking players on the ball in the right places. This undoubtedly gave Knockaert and Izzy more confidence and thus improved their performance but I was never sure that Knocky himself had dipped anyway.

I think that's a good point. Knocky played well imo. As a star player, he gained some unwarranted criticism last season. But quite honestly, with the amount of defending we were doing early in the season, it was never going to be easy for him.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I think in the first half of the season he was targeted by teams as our danger man. Keep him quiet and you snuff out our attacking threat. He therefore had a lot of attention from opposition defenders. In the second half, as Izzy started to shine it gave Knocky a bit more freedom and towards the end of the season he was on fire.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
It's certainly going to be interesting to see who plays where and when, with Knocky, Izzy and now a transfer record busting Ali J potentially competing for just two positions in the team. One of them ain't going to be a happy bunny.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's certainly going to be interesting to see who plays where and when, with Knocky, Izzy and now a transfer record busting Ali J potentially competing for just two positions in the team. One of them ain't going to be a happy bunny.

CH almost ALWAYS subs a winger during the game. All three will get plenty of game-time, with a good degree of rotation. I think it's Solly that's going to be kicking his heels and getting a bit frustrated

There was too much pressure on Knocky at the start of last season - had such a good season when we got promoted there was too much expectation, and I think he let it get to him. Towards the end of the season he seemed to be a bit more relaxed and confident - if he can replicate the kind of form he showed in, say, the Man U game he'll have a blinder. The way he left Rojo and Martial chasing shadows was brilliant to see.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Getting sent off at Everton was a blessing in disguise, they him some time to focus and rest up. With the improved squad we will be able to rotate and keep our players fresher. He was scgoing to have a fantastic season.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Having no pre-season last year certainly didn't help him. When Knockaert is on song like the end of last season, he is still one of our best players. I'm excited to see him play this season with a full pre-season and real compitition for his place.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
T'is an odd thread.
Everybody needs to 'step up' this season and improve on 2017/18.

Standing still just isn't an option, that kind of collective thinking from the players (and fans) will result in relegation.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

And that's exactly the way it should be.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I thought Knockaert's defensive work last season was fantastic, and as the season grew we got more glimpses of his attacking prowess. Apart from the Everton aberration he never let us down. I'd be interested to see him in a wing-back role, although Knocky himself may not like that idea!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
T'is an odd thread.
Everybody needs to 'step up' this season and improve on 2017/18.

Standing still just isn't an option, that kind of collective thinking from the players (and fans) will result in relegation.

Does standing still result in relegation? or does it end up 15th again? Does the premier league get better and better and better each year? If so where's the ceiling?

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
All hinges on Schelotto working out how to play with him i think.

Always thought Knockaert seems a bit lonely on Social Media - hopefully having an extra french speaker in Bissouma will help too, they seem quite close already.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Does standing still result in relegation? or does it end up 15th again? Does the premier league get better and better and better each year? If so where's the ceiling?
Even if it didn't result in the teams relegation, it sure as hell would result in the players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here