Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bruno admits we weren't physically up to it last year

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Interesting article about Bruno in the Argus. Basically, pre season has focused on physicality and fitness. Bruno saying that last year we couldn't press the opposition for the whole game. That was one of the big factors of last season for me. Struggling to stand up to the opponents and hold on at the end of a game. Glad to see we're addressing that.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Interesting article about Bruno in the Argus. Basically, pre season has focused on physicality and fitness. Bruno saying that last year we couldn't press the opposition for the whole game. That was one of the big factors of last season for me. Struggling to stand up to the opponents and hold on at the end of a game. Glad to see we're addressing that.
Link ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I’m not sure that’s quite what he’s saying. More that we’ve decided we want to press more than we set up to last year and pre-season has been designed that way. Presumably having a bit more experience of the league has pushed us that way.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I’m not sure that’s quite what he’s saying. More that we’ve decided we want to press more than we set up to last year and pre-season has been designed that way. Presumably having a bit more experience of the league has pushed us that way.

I think that's the same point. We couldn't keep pressing the opposition, so relied on dropping deeper than we would have wanted sooner than we would have liked too often.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think that's the same point. We couldn't keep pressing the opposition, so relied on dropping deeper than we would have wanted sooner than we would have liked too often.

it not quite the same, i dont believe tactically we tried to press. we adopted a defensive mindset, partially because thats a strength of the side and partially out of too much respect/fear of opposition. pressing is about being aggressive without possession, accepting you'll lose "shape", but denying the opposition time and hoping to unsettle them in their own half for counterattacking opportunities. its more than simply fitness.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
it not quite the same, i dont believe tactically we tried to press. we adopted a defensive mindset, partially because thats a strength of the side and partially out of too much respect/fear of opposition. pressing is about being aggressive without possession, accepting you'll lose "shape", but denying the opposition time and hoping to unsettle them in their own half for counterattacking opportunities. its more than simply fitness.

Yep. Weirdly, the occasions where we didn't do that were the games against United, Arsenal home, Leicester and they were some of our best performances.
A lot, I think, was about the lack of squad quality. Hopefully that's now been addressed.

Positive statement and tactical change I think.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fingers crossed the front 4 is now capable of pushing the opposition back a few yards.
That will make all the difference.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I read it that the pre-season training was particularly hard and focused on being able to press teams hard. It took a lot out of the players and that's why we weren't so sharp in the early friendlies. Tonight should be interesting as we would be looking to use the new approach.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Odd interpretation of what he said. Clearly suits a particular viewpoint

Maybe poorly worded analysis, but not odd interpretation.

We didn't press last year because we weren't capable of doing so for a whole game. Some players looked out on their feet in games. I interpreted the Bruno interview as "we're working on fitness so we can press harder for longer (without having to drop so deep)".

I see it as hugely positive. No agenda. Can't wait to see us get more offensive because when we did, we looked great.

I don't have a view point as such (and don't we all read everything through our own lens??)

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

I called it selective pressing. Don't want to be chasing shadows in the first half. I agree with Bruno.

I don't think our game management was up to it either? We should keep possession more when ahead. Set pieces conceded at 21 when 10 was average.

https://spielverlagerung.com/2014/10/07/counter-or-gegenpressing/

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Better ball retention and less panicking when with the ball in a tight space would be good. I loved the way the Japanese did this when being pressed by the Belgiums in the World Cup. I thought at the time “I wish we could be this cool and skilful under pressure” really hoping for an improvement on that front this season.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Pressing higher up the pitch if we have the fitness and energy to do so will hopefully result in us winning the ball further forward when are wingers are higher up, and closer to Murray/ANother so they aren't so isolated. Will make us genuinely a bigger threat to the opposition. Good to hear

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Pressing higher up the pitch if we have the fitness and energy to do so will hopefully result in us winning the ball further forward when are wingers are higher up, and closer to Murray/ANother so they aren't so isolated. Will make us genuinely a bigger threat to the opposition. Good to hear

No secrets are revealed but if Murray is playing, pressing will result in a large foul count. Man City pressed the player receiving the ball (arguable?) or did they intercept the Albion ball before it reached its target? Either way we could not string two passes together.

It seems to me there are lots of ways to press the opponent. All require more fitness, especially countering the pressing by running into space for a pass. Just chasing after the man with the ball is a waste of energy.

Playing deep runs the risk of conceding goals through brilliancies, bad luck, set pieces, or mistakes under accumulation of pressure. It worked quite well for us from open play last season. What didn't work was scoring from counter-attacks.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here